TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:05 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: set up suggestions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:19 pm 

after reading the posts and being good and confused, i need some help. do i need two subs in the back, and would under dash be best for the front speakers on a 91 metro? also should tweeters be mounted in the stock holes in the dash board? speakers suggestions are welcome as i lost partial hearing in desert storm and its hard to distinguish sound quality sometimes. sorry for all the questions but i dont want to get jacked at the audio shop for unneeded equiptment. thank you.

Post subject: Re: set up suggestions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:51 pm 
King of Pompous

You can use as many subs in the back as you want. Its largely a function of how looud you want it to go. A single sub setup can work very well and not take up the entire hatch area. A larger sub system can rattle your teeth out. your choice really. Up front the ideal place for the speakers would be the doors in a 6.5" size. Its really a matter of how much work you want to put into it as it will require some custom work to get speakers in there. If you're stuck with the factory locations use a good quality coaxial driver. Well known names like Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood etc are a good place to start. You can go with higher end drivers but given that you will lose a lot of quality in the factory location and the fact that you're partialy deaf it likely won't make that much of a difference to go high end. You could mount a seperate tweeter in the a pillar location if you want to bring the treble up a bit. Power wise if you just want something that sounds good but doesn't need to be deafening you could use deck power for the mids/tweets and a good 200W amp for the sub. A decent 10 or 12 inch sub should work. Again, it will depend on the space you want to lose in the hatch area. Give us some more details on what you're ultimately after and we can make more precise suggestions.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:18 pm 

i myself have been using stock 4 inchers,stock locations,running off of deck power,and 2 10 inch soundstream subs,1.cubic foot each,sealed,200 watt kenwood amp.tried using many different co-axials,many of them sounding "tinny",plus usually popping voicecoils in them,most likely from distortion,4 inchers cant take much abuse.components are nice,little more work to install,plus you can "tune" the tweeter by reversing its polarity.dont forget every cd player sounds different,try different cd players with same test cd and same speakers,you will be suprised by the differences in the sound quality from one brand to the next.i myself tried many brands over the years,for me panasonic is my choice,pioneer 2nd,and a 1970's 8-track over anything made by sony!!! :-P =)

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:32 pm 
King of Pompous

Are you running them in the location pointing to the floor? I know a lot of coax drivers have a very bright sound but that far off axis I would expect the treble to roll off quite a bit? I never had the displeasure of that location...mine were always in the doors and dash.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:29 pm 

thanks everyone. as far as the subs go i dont want to blow the hatchback off, but i do want good full sound. not totally deaf; just fuzzy in certain decibels. id rather not have the fronts facing the floor so what kind of door mods would i need to do, or would they have a kit at the stereo store. would the the 6.5's be coaxial? sorry im so ignorant to the stereo stuff, i'm really thankful for the help.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:40 pm 
King of Pompous

Theres no kit for the doors. It has to be custom made. There will be some cutting of the door panels as well as some of the inner door skin usualy. You can use either a coaxial (has the tweeter built on with the midbass) or a component set (tweeter is seperate from the midbass...has a crossover network for better sound...and generaly better quality) for them. Its your preference. I've used every size subwoofer from 8" to 18" in the hatch of a Swift. 10's and 12's by far offer the best bang for your buck. A single ten in a well built enclosure can sound great and plenty of output. A 12 takes a slightly larger enclosure and offers a little more output than a 10 does. If you rarely listen to your music loudly (and I know that loud is a subjective term) you can use an 8 and still have lots of bass if its in a good enclosure. For anything at a "normal" volume you wouldn't likely need an amp that does more than 150-250 watts RMS. Make sure its not a peak rating...RMS is the important thing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:29 pm 

Hey I'll throw my 2 cents out for consideration.

I run eclipse 4" coaxials in the stock dash location and I actually think they sound great there. I have had infinity components in kick panels in the past in a different car and i've been around VERY nice Boston Accustic components in kicks too so I think I can make a fairly decent comparison. Not saying the 4's in the dash are as good as components in the kicks, but not nearly as bad as I expected.

I run the coaxials off a kenwood deck producing something like 22 watts rms and they are plenty loud. Not crazy loud but loud enough to piss off my girlfriend routinely.

I run a JL 12W1 which is a 12" sub in a sealed box of about 1.5 cubic feet or so. I push that with an old school Rockford Fosgate punch 40. This amp produces 80 watts RMS on the sticker but is more comparable to something like a 200 watt modern Sony or Pioneer type amp (in my opinion of course).

For a cheap commuter car that occasionally goes on long drives, this setup keeps me happy and only ran around $300 or so...
This combo produces very nice sounding, quality bass, again loud enough to piss off the girlfriend but not something that is going to piss off everyone you drive buy.

You ought to be able to pick up a used punch 40 on ebay fairly cheap and 12W1s are pretty cheap too. Certainly an awsome bang for the buck combo.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:30 am 

my stereo setup was fairly cheap as well,400~500 bucks for everything,most of my stuff is almost 10 years old,or i bartered/traded stuff for stuff to get what i needed.most times its best to go with new speakers,used amps n subs are fine,test them out first before you lay down the money,have gotten ripped off before myself when i was young&dumb,now i'm old&not as dumb,(dont ask the wife that)my t-fly has hit 138.2 DB in a sound-off IASCA event,but that was almost 10 years ago,i dont listen to music that loud anymore,now my aim is more towards clarity :-P

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)