TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:02 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:44 pm 

I'm redoing my system and I have a 4 channel amp and getting a sub amp. I currently have the 4 channel running off one radio shack RCA with no hum or troubles. Since I have the amp mounted under the seat, I don't need 16.5' of the twisted RCA cables that comes in the amplifier install kits. Can I just buy two more 6' RCA from Walmart? Will the sound quality be that much better with the twisted stuff? And will it hurt to have 10' extra of RCA cable?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:49 pm 

You will always have signal loss over a longer cable. The biggest loss is always in the connectors, Poor quality connectors lead to more loss, Skip the wall mart Junk and get some good quality gold plated rca plugs,Or keep the originals.The amp probably has plenty of power to compensate for any loss and in even a 16 ft run of cable there will be minimal loss, most likely in the 10ths to hunderdeths of Db's or less. With that small amount of a loss our ears are not sensative enough to even notice.

I find it is best to drive using the 3 X 1 rule!:
1 Foot on Gas, 1 Hand on Wheel, 1 Finger out the window.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:45 pm 

i myself have tried different brands over the years,no difference noted except when it comes to the physical apperance,if you can see it would you want a fancy connector or just a plain grey/black cable?looks can be deceiving,so can price....the dollar store here sells gold-plated ones for a buck,EXACT same ones at radioshack are ten or more......but some people like to brag about price,or looks.

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:20 pm 
Mk1 fiend
Mk1 fiend

The biggest issue is if you are going to use 16.5' of cable - how are you going to stow it?

The biggest problem with sound normally comes from cables being looped (especially long amp/speaker cables) an this forming an electrical coil - and often then causing humming etc. when you do stow it - make sure you loop it in a 'figure 8' format so this will stop the coil effect.