TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:36 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:57 pm 

alright, found a pioneer d8400m class-D its 1200 watt amp(50$)!!

i will be running this amp to one sub,(all i think i'll need in my hatch)

i will be replacing all my stock speakers eventually and i will use another amp to run those.

i wanted to get an Alpine Type-R
but i want a sub that is good for rap and techno
and i have seen people say type-R are more for rock

any input is appreciated

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:37 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i really like old kove armageddon subwoofers. they were based in california so there should be used ones all over out there. the company sold out to us amps a couple of years ago but they made killer subs. a single 12" with dual 4 ohm voice coils (for a 2 ohm load) should make that class d 1200 watt amp sweat bullets without melting the sub. :twisted:

i used 2 10" armageddon subs, each driven by a separate 1200 watt hart professional amp for a while and it was stupid loud. =)

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:42 pm 

Just so you know the real power on that amp is:

300w @ 4ohms
600w @ 2ohms

Just an FYI.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:30 am 
King of Pompous

The type r will be fine for techno and rap. Just follow the guidlines Alpine gives for a ported enclosure and you should be fine.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:00 pm 

I have a type-r 12". The thing is in a ported box. I like the way it sounds with all different types of music. I listen to pretty much everything from country to rap to rock just as a couple examples.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3168439

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:04 am 

I have two type R 12's in my Ford Probe and they POUND HARD!! My buddy also has one type X 12 and it is pretty much just as loud!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:42 am 

I have a 10" Type R in my LS400. I have it running off of a 500watt RMS Alpine amp. I have it turned waaaaay down, but it still hits sharp and clear. I'm very glad i went with it over a 12, however i have a ported box. I wish i would have gotten a sealed box, but i couldn't pass on the price of the ported box. I would be willing to bet that in a hatch it would hit much much harder.

Kyle

2014 BRZ Limited in WRB - The car payment

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:50 pm 

the Type R in a vented (ported) enclosure... any prefrance of size?

Also a Kicker CVR
if you get a dual 4 ohm and wire it in series then turn the amp down a smidge it should power it well. run it in a 1.8 cui vented enclosure it should rumble verry well.

installed one in a friends pickup with an amp simalar to yours. hes putting out 135.6 db 1 foot from the windsheild, drivers seat, passenger door open.

hope ale goes well

Sophia
1.0 High Output. 3tech goodies, tonz of audio and a CB

Taylor
My second project 1.3L big block GTi twin cam

Team swift project threads underway for both cars until then check out my profile @ GMF links to my cars are in my sig
http://geometroforum.com/profile/545845/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:59 am 

Diamond audio D6 subs. End of discussion! :lol:

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:47 am 
Paul Jr.

alpine wrote:
alright, found a pioneer d8400m class-D its 1200 watt amp(50$)!!

i will be running this amp to one sub,(all i think i'll need in my hatch)

i will be replacing all my stock speakers eventually and i will use another amp to run those.

i wanted to get an Alpine Type-R
but i want a sub that is good for rap and techno
and i have seen people say type-R are more for rock

any input is appreciated

No sub is better for any type of music than another, it's just tone and volume, depending on size and material of the cone, magnet size and strength, sealed or ported box and how big the box and port is or isn't. And last but not least, the power and type of amp used.

My setup is an Alpine MRP-500 Monoblock Amplifier running to a 10 inch Alpine Type R in a 14"x14"x10" sealed box (500W@2ohms). The result is smooth, round, yet firm bass with punch you can be happy with but more emphasis on the actual tone of the bass. I was rather happy I didn't get a 12 because the smaller speaker allows for a bit more punch than its big brother while covering a little more of the higher bass frequencies, which to me as a bass guitar player, are important.

What you should do, is read lots of reviews, keep an eye out for product stompers, and go to your local retailer and listen to it first hand compared to others.

IMHO:
Best punch: JL audio and MTX
Best tone: Rockford Fosgate and Alpine
(lower frequency ranges and smoother sound = larger diameter sub with more air space around it)
(higher ranges and more punch = smaller diameter with less air space for the sound to play with)

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
~Jr

Edit: by the way, I listen to a lot of rap/hip hop, and rock, but more recently getting into techno and house stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:24 am 
King of Pompous

Knuckles Jr wrote:
(lower frequency ranges and smoother sound = larger diameter sub with more air space around it)
(higher ranges and more punch = smaller diameter with less air space for the sound to play with)

You need to be very careful with that statement. A lot of the "punch" and "smooth sound" you get is not so much from the sub as it is from the enclosure. Yes, some subwoofers will exhibit better tonality than others but this is from its design parameters and not the size. I can take the same subwoofer and put it in 3 different enclosures and it will go from a low end frequency monster to a punchy rockstar to a well rounded "jack of all trades" system. Live concerts use large format drivers (15", 18" and 21") in the speaker arrays. They even use 10", 12" and 15" drivers for midbass duties. The size of the driver isn't dictating the sound (tonaly speaking) here. Its all in the design of the speaker and the enclosure its sitting in. You should have heard the "punch" I was getting from my 15's in the Audi with its infinite baffle setup...its was like getting hit in the chest with a 2x4 ;)

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:26 am 
Paul Jr.

That definitely makes sense, I'm just speaking from what I've looked at, and the things I've played with. Never actually taken a sub and put it in different box setups, I should actually try that