TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:48 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: amplifier
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:58 pm 
Suzuki Elder

back when i was into saabs, clarion made all their stereo gear. it was pretty proprietary with non-industry standard connectors on modular wiring harnesses.

you might be able to have the wiring adapted to run a more normal and less expensive amp. all they need are power, ground, remote power signal, line level inputs (rca connectors) and speaker outputs.

you will need to identify all those wires in the factory harnesses. check to see how many channels you need and the approximate power output per channel so you can select a replacement amp. it may have 5 channels or more.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject: Re: amplifier
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:46 am 
King of Pompous

Other things to consider when attempting to replace factory amplification with aftermarket:

Grounding: Bose (and many other premium sound systems) is notorious for using a common ground scheme for their sound systems. This makes it difficult to use a floating ground (which virtualy every aftermarket amp uses) amplifier and have it work properly. You can get harnesses that address this issue but some can be costly. Find out if your car uses a common grounded system. Wiring it up the traditional way will not work and will sound attrocious with huge phasing and balance issues.

Impedance: Some systems (like Bose) run at a very low 1 ohm load. There is only a few amplifiers on the market that will actually run at 1 ohm (full range) without burning up. Check the impedance of the factory speakers. If they are lower than 2 ohms you may have issues trying to run another amplifier to them.

EQ compensation: Active equalization is often employed to make OEM sound systems sound good. This is all fine and well until you swap an OEM amp out for aftermarket and all of a sudden things take a turn for the worst. Bass output can be reduced or in some cases not limited (leading to blown speakers) as they are with the factory systems. I have had this with the OEM Bose system in my Audi. The system sounded decent good with the factory amp but swapping to an aftermarket amp ruined the sound because there was no more active equalization on them. Of course...aftermarket speakers and amps sounded better then my original setup :P

You may want to check out a Saab forum and see if anybody has a factory amp they are no longer using or to get ideas on what others have done in this situation. Richard has said that the Saabs were using a Clarion system. That could be good news for you as I don't think many would have been as finicky as a Bose or Infinity type system to wire up. Likely a typical 2 or 4 ohm system with floating ground. Hopefully this is what you have. Good luck :)

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.