TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:23 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:15 am 

Recently I picked up a rusted out 1988 Chevy Sprint Metro with designs on a total rehab. After sitting for nearly two years the car fired right up, drove fine (except for bad brakes and alignment) and got parked at my home 20 miles away. I began an exhaustive study of the car to determine the feasability of the rehab......unfortunately, due to too much rust at specific frame points, it ain't gonna happen. Here's a picture of the car before doing anything to it......

.....and after I began stripping everything down, including the engine/tranny (more on that in a second).....

About a week prior to stripping down the ol' rust bucket, member sgrddy contacted me about possibly purchasing his twin 1988 Chevy Sprint Metro. I jumped on that and now own both. The body on his is in MUCH better condition, but it had no tranny. Seemed like a perfect opportunity to swap all of the bad for the good, categorize all the remaining parts in case I need them (or decide to sell them) and scrap the rest. Here's a photo of the sgrddy car....

It's currently sitting at a transmission shop awaiting its transplant from the rust bucket. Hopefully I'll be able to drive it home, park it next to the donor car, and begin the process of replacing the bad with the good. I even have an auto glass company which will come out to my home and switch out the windshields, since the one on the donor car is perfect but on the new ride is webcracked.

More pictures to follow. I'm looking forward to this project, and hopefully some great mpgs!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:29 am 

How much are they going to charge you for swapping the glass?

Ken............

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:44 pm 

91 ragtop wrote:
How much are they going to charge you for swapping the glass?

Ken............

$125. I'd rather have them do it and pay the money, because if they crack it they'll replace it for free.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:11 pm 

I've been working pretty consistently on the 88 Chevy Sprint Metro. I replaced the broken fuel lines, fixed the oil leak, and replaced the brake booster. So I have brakes now, but unfortunately I still get a high idle when I apply the brakes. The brakes are not hard indicating a bad brake , but pretty normal feeling.

I let the car idle in my driveway to get it hot and see when the fan would kick on. It got pretty high up there before kicking on, but simultaneously the idle surged higher when the fan kicked on.

A buddy thought the carburetor needed to be cleaned out. It still puffs white smoke from time to time out the exhaust. But it runs pretty strong. I thought perhaps a valve adjustment (don't these need to be adjusted every 30k miles?).

Anyway, looking for recommendations regarding the high idle surges. Thanks.

GeoStalker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:22 pm 

Finished the bodywork and paint on the car today.......use plastidip and it turned out pretty good. I found some convertible hubcaps and black plastidipped those. The link provided http://geometroforum.com/topic/5098989/6/#new is over at geometroforum.com.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:05 pm