TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:25 am 
Suzuki Elder

the inner guards from a swift will fit the vert - plug and play.

i have them on ol' blue. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:41 am 

So here she sits in anticipation
like a woman ready to have her nails done.
A close up
shows the effects of usual road splash out here (none).
And likewise, the other side is unremarkable:
and before you know it,
there's a little splash shield showing a little cleaned section right behind it.
We'll see how it goes after a week or two.
From a short distance, it is barely visible:
and from the front, the tires just about completely hide them:

Took it to the locksmith because the ignition needed some 'renewing' today, and coming home noticed that the sound of the gravel being kicked up by the tires was audible only in the rear. Also got 41 miles per gallon today for the trip (sorry to Wife, but I drive it by the tach - mostly at 4,000 rpms with a few runs at 4500 rpms...not bad for an automatic!!!-she gets 33ish :oops: :oops: :oops: leadfoot!!!)

(Note from locksmith: have several keys made. Use one for a few months and then toss it. Keep one key for constant copying, and simply use a newly made key twice a year as the keys wear down faster than the locks...)

New top, battery, fresh Mobil One oil and filters, crisp air filters, underbody brace, muffler, sun visor, locks, valve cover gasket and grommets...that's about it for 2010...except...
might get around to this:
as a year end finale. The fellows back East are kinda motivating me :D :D :D :D

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:12 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
the inner guards from a swift will fit the vert - plug and play.

i have them on ol' blue. :wink:

Thanks for the advice.
She took a day off, so I got a chance to put some mudflaps on the rear.
Before:
Gravel has a way of living in the tire tread around here.
After:
Having the flaps does make a difference, and they were indeed 'plug and play'.
Her oversize tires throw road kill and gravel on the paint.
No more.
Here's a view with all 4 mudflaps on:
They barely are visible behind the tires.

She got 34.2 miles per gallon last tank. Must be nice to 'cruise' to work, not having to punch a time clock.

Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:02 pm 

A/C can be easy...really easy. All you need is a little luck, a bit of knowledge, and some patience.
About a week ago, the A/C system seemed to blow air that wasn't as cold as before.
Sure enough, a refrigerator thermometer showed 50F air blowing out the vents with the A/C on.
This post will show you how to bump up the system with a can of refrigerant in just such a case.

Tools:
1 can of refrigerant
1 hose to charge the system
1 screwdriver to check the static pressure
1 videocam to document the whole process.
Time:
About 10 minutes.

Here's the first video:

Here is a recap of the first 4 1/2 minute video:
1-check the system for pressure (I got into it with one fellow here on that procedure...so have a good look)
2-start the engine
3-turn on the A/C
4-check the condenser fan to see it spins (it won't if there's no pressure, or if the pressure is too low)
5-watch the temperature drop at the vents and make a mental note of the temperature (if any).
Remember, this is for a system which used to blow cold, but recently doesn't blow as cold as you're used to.

Now, let's add a can of refrigerant and see what happens.
First the video:
(apologies for the shaky video at times)
-at 1:30 (in the video) the can is finally hooked up and is charging the system
-at 2:30 the engine is warming up, and the idle is slowing down as a result
-at 4:00 the can is still cold
-at 5:30 the can is getting empty.

There isn't much left to document at this point.
You hold the can upside down and at the highest point of the system, and after 30 seconds or so, you shut off the valve at the can and then disconnect the hose at the low side.
Now, the A/C blows as cold as it is designed.

Here are the numbers:
Outside air temperature: 85F (early morning)
Initial A/C vent temperature: 50F
Final A/C vent temperature: 40F (the compressor shuts down at 40F on this system, so it won't blow colder)
This system took years to get low, anyone want to bet this system blows cold for another 3 years?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:37 pm 

It's time to update this thread, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, bozos and bozoettes.
The White Rabbit
(on the left) has logged about 28,000 trouble free miles in the past 4 years as a daily driver.

As I've said several times, I'm not a big fan of the convertible, but this car has been a positive force in allowing us to knock $20K out of our credit card debt. It costs about $29 to fill up and gets a consistent 32 miles per gallon.
The car is operated in a fairly 'extreme' environment and unlike other parts of the world, it gets driven in the Winter and parked during the heat of the Summer to protect it from the heat.
The A/C and heater are both used regularly, and the 'under body' brace has no clearance issues.

It has been getting regular oil and filter changes, and even though it smarts...I've been springing for the Full Synthetic 5W-30 and avoiding the Fram oil filters.
Looking back through the files, I cannot give a good estimate of when I changed (or cleaned) the pcv valve, but my best guess would be about 18 months ago.

The last time I checked under the hood, I noticed the front main oil seal (or cam seal - not really sure which) has given up the ghost.
Since we don't NEED to drive it, the car sits, waiting for me to work up enough courage to lift it up and spend some one on one time with it.
If I had to guess, I'd estimate it went about 100 miles with some kind of front oil leak.
The oil is still half way on the dipstick, so it probably isn't a big deal.

Getting enough courage to fart with this thing can be tricky.
I chose this route:
and once I get good an 'lubricated', I'll try to find my hammer and saw and begin tearing into the convertible.

You guys have been posting a lot of good build threads, and I hate to ruin a perfectly good mechanics web site, but it is time to roll up the sleeves and start ripping out wires under the hood, or whatever it is that you do to fix these things.
We only have this one Metro, and all the skanks and their boyfriends always say, "Look at all the Metros!" when they walk by. I'm thinking about posting a sign over the garage: No Metros - Swifts and Sprints, but they're probably too 'high' to understand, so I'll let it be.

Hopefully, I'll be able to take a picture or two as I go, but if they are blurry or shaky, don't blame me.
It's probably the 'libation' talking.
I'd be up for a video, but damned if I can figure out how to edit all the cussing that will go on over the next few days.
Jonathan...are you listening?
Well, I'm not sure I'll remember what I did to this car, so wish me luck.
I don't seem to need to work on this old horse too often, so if there is a good set of seals, well I'll be all for it.
Otherwise, I'll throw in whatever I can find in my 'spares box'.
If you have any opinions on which seals are better
-single or double lipped
-viton or neoprene
feel free to make some blah blah blah below.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:29 pm 

In between "I am selling this"
and
"I want to buy this..."
I realize you're all itching to type in the best sources for front main and cam seals, but take a deep breath.

Ah....

So, the liquid courage did the job and I was able to find the floor jack after much consternation.

Next, I had to put the beer can down long enough to pump her up.
Then, it was time to lift the car. :lol:

After the tire came the splash shield. It has been on a long time, because I was still using those old gray push pins from junkyard cars to hold that shield in place.

With a bit of luck, I was able to find the flat concrete floor and lie under the car, almost.
:shock:
My, my...what do I spy?
Why it is a drop of oil, or something.
Good thing there is a drip pan underneath.

Renewing my courage, I was able to remove the alternator
(Don't try this at home!)
and the two belts...which by now are called air conditioning and 'fan' belts due to the renewed source of courage.
Next, it seemed like a good idea to pull the PCV valve, and the old liquid gold coursing down my throat brought back memories of it being called a PC valve or 'pollution control valve' when they first came out.
Hic.
:drunk:
So...we are working under the assumption that the front main seal has given way, possibly due to a clogged PCV valve. The valve is out and off it goes into a nice bath of used Purple Power to relax and soak for a long long time. In all honesty, it LOOKS ok.
No, I didn't blow on it, as Tommy reads these threads, but I did hook a hose to it, and blow through that.
She is open, or after a few beers as they say: "She's PATENT!!!"
(Never could wrap my head around that one - apologies for the sentence fragment :oops: )

With the belts and alternator off, we come to the water pump pulley...time to pull it!
Hold the cheese, Wilma!
This puppy might need some pepper...take a look:
(Special for you, Jonathan...go ahead and click on that picture, then watch the squirrels run!)
Sure as shootin', the water pump has a nice clunk clunk clunk which tells me it is good for another 15000 miles or so, right?
Well, feel free to post some great information on those seals while I look for some Ultra Black to squeeze in there.

Now, where was I?

:bong:

Until next time.........
:salute: :salute: :salute:

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:15 pm 
Island Inbreeder

what a lemon ...sell it cheep quick

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:41 am 

The beer did the trick.
I can't recall everything, but it looks like I've got cotton mouth, the shakes, and red eye syndrome.
Yep, the iron in my blood has turned to lead and settled in my ...well, anyway...where was I?

Oh yeah.

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:
(Do not try this at home...)

The reason we pulled this puppy off the road was because of a TERRIBLE oil leak under the car:
or so I thought.
Upon further ingestion (reflection?) it appears the issue was actually the water pump and what I was
seeing was a mixture of coolant and water pump grease in the drip pan.
We certainly can't have that!

The main pulley on the crankshaft had gone biological on me, sprouting new growth in the vanes:
so it had to come off and get cleaned up.

The water pump pulley looked clean as a whistle on the front, but when it was pulled, the back gave a
different story:
and for those of you who cannot hit 'control +' at the same time, here we go again:

Well into the 36 pack, it was a question of how to get that MONSTER bolt off the main crank:
a few more beers, and I forgot all about it.

Next, it was time to cut off that plastic timing belt cover because someday, we may live up a gravel road and will want our timing to jump a few teeth.
I thought it would be nice to go at it with a pair of shears, and just cut the part I wanted off, but then
decided to carve my name into the plastic with a plasma cutter:
(I used invisible ink...)

Now that the timing cover was modified, and it should be a LOT easier to put a timing light on it,
I thought I'd have a look at the super deluxe special and VERY expensive Eristic head gasket that
the engine received. Sure enough, the head gasket was blown to high heaven:
no way that was oil seeping from the valve cover gasket, but it was worth another 'look see'.

It is possible that the valve cover was leaking a little bit
and the 4 valve cover bolts were a little loose, but it sounds so much nicer to blame it on the high
priced head gasket, so that's what I'll do. Should I change that head gasket? It sounded like a great idea,
but after a few more beers, I forgot about it.

Looking at the circles and arrows (with a paragraph on the back of each one to be used as evidence against me) I could begin to see the path of oil and imagined that the front main seal was leaking and leaking and leaking.
It was just my imagination, running away with me....
...so back into the 36 pack I went.

Sooner or later this
had to become this:
and that, ladies and gentlemen is a rare, one of a kind, extremely expensive, hard to get, hard to forget OEM Style GMB water pump...version 165-1150...(165-1120 is for the MK1)...
and I used one of my drawers of spare bolts to plug all the threads that were exposed and gave the entire
mess a steam clean.
(Do NOT try this at home!)

Now where did I put that beer?

:blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:

It was time to start on a new 36 pack and put the engine back together.
This was getting to be real work.
My biggest concern was how stupid those Suzuki engineers were when they designed this engine and
I realized I could save an additional few steps by reverse engineering the timing belt.
This is what I settled on:
I call it my "Variable Valve Timing Kinda Shakes At Idle" modification.
You think it will fly?

Not wishing to have any surprises, I made sure to swap the bolts and nuts so that nothing went back into
the same hole
and there were either bolts too short or too long for the hole.
If only they had put hair around it!

The oil had coated the front right horn, so while I was down there with the spray gun, I hit it up a bit:

Next step will be to ghetto out something else, but first it is time for (you guessed it!) another beer!
:givebeer:

Mama really doesn't WANT me to fix this car (can you tell) because she would rather tear up her commute
with the GTi, but TOUGH!
I want her to drive this and I'm the MAN!!!!

And if I want some tonight, I'd better fix that ghetto steering wheel cover:

Sure enough, even though I was well into the THIRD 36 pack, I was able to cut an hour off my last time for
sewing on those idiotic genuine leather steering wheels:

This morning, the car idled funny and the A/C didn't work.
I slammed a can of Freeze 12 into it, and figured it was my super smart variable valve blah blah blah...
Ya think?

She drove off and the first thing she said?

"Gee, I'm not used to this steering wheel, hee hee hee"

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Maybe that's good.

For now, it's Memorial Day and I've fallen and can't reach my beer...
so that's a good enough excuse not to put away any tools for a week at least.

:vibe: :vibe: :vibe:

...so I guess I'll go read all the real SMART buying and selling threads...

8) 8) 8)

and fire up the barbeque.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:59 am 
Suzuki Elder

if you didn't have parts left over on the bench, you didn't do things correctly or you didn't drink enough beer! :-P

as for the cover, cut it in half, down low and above the crank's nose. that way you won't have to pull the accessory pulley off to remove the cover to inspect or adjust the timing belt. the cover will still keep the rocks out of the timing belt but you won't have to remove the bottom 4 bolts to get the cover off the upper part on the block.

heck, that water pump still had some service life left in it. you probably could have gotten another 15 to 20 thousand miles out of it by adding a couple of jars of stop leak. :-P the pulley was one of those new "self aligning" types. =)

we all know that you really don't like that raggedy old vert. you should just sell it to me for $800 to get it out of your driveway. :wink: i can make $50 a month payments on it. :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:24 pm 

Reading Phil's post above reminds me why I joined this site.

Don't worry PnE, it takes one to know one. :drunk:

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:20 pm 

She took off again for work today in the little White Rabbit which gave me an opportunity
to take a close look at the drip pan.

No coolant and no oil, but there's no telling what tomorrow will bring.

:133t:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:00 pm 

Awesome work bro! Go have a beer now and celebrate!

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:30 pm 

Thanks.
:drunk:
It looks like I might be updating this thread again, as the A/C compressor may have a leaky seal.

What do you think, a couple of 36 packs or ????

It is getting HOT out here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:30 am 

After a month, it turned out the compressor was fine.
The high side schrader valve was leaking.
Fortunately, a spare fixed that and she's been blowing cold air ever since.
Nice, since the temps here are well into the triple digits and will be for months.

Although I did this on her GTi first, here's a little trick you can do to keep the leaves out of your blower motor.

Using a 4 foot wide roll of the stronger UV treated 'animal screen' that the hardware store sells,
simply cut it to fit under the windshield wiper louvers.

You can see the louvers are removed

and the screen fits neatly
in the space under those two plastic louvers...

Cut the holes for the black plastic push pins
and you're ready to put it all back together.

Although this car usually sits in the garage, it is the fate of many Metro/Geo/Swifts to sit out under a tree in the Summer. Hopefully, this will make your life easier.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:20 pm 

After a pleasant evening meal on the veranda of the Sycamore Inn, I felt a little motivated to play with the
White Rabbit.

Ooops.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

There is that tell tale sign again.
Time to take a closer look and sure enough:

(looking down at the front right outer boot from behind) :roll: :roll: :roll:

...to be continued

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:54 pm 

Hooray for Autumn!
It is 110F today...in the shade! 8) 8) 8)
(Sure glad I'm not in the Florida Panhandle :razz: :razz: :razz: )

After pulling that pinch bolt and looking inside, it looks like the car may have sat in snow or back East at one time.
Noticing the red arrow, the outer boot is ripped, but not completely around.
This is a good time to replace it...not later...you might say we got full use out of that boot.
Next a little spray in that pinch bolt hole
and let the oil work its way inside.

Here's an 18 second video:

...and it doesn't take a lot of experience to see that someone took a 'shortcut' which will need to be fixed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:01 pm 

Time to update this thread.
Can you believe the car has been working flawlessly for the last 9 months, with only oil and filter changes?

Here she is driving into the garage last night:
on some 13 inch Eagle mags.

Since she never complains, and bought me a new daily driver:
I decided to surprise her.

This was loaded into the old Swift:
and taken down for new Kumho shoes...

If only I had some center caps!!!

Well, here she is pulling out with a pair on the rear:
before the sun went down.

You can tell she wants her car fixed because...
...she stuck around to help put on the front two after taking it for a spin with only the rears.

Apparently, the combination of the new wheels and tires is a success.
Communicating via bluetooth, she claims no vibration at speeds of 75 mph.
(She claims she slowed down to 65mph...yeah right!)

New tires have a pretty strong 'odor', so we left it outside overnight.
I decided to snap a shot of the little convertible in front of our Turbo Sprint:
Little hell.
That vert positively towers over the humble yet mighty Turbo.

Using our trusty old bathroom scale, I weighed the old and new wheel/tire sets.
Eagle polished aluminum 13 inch with tire = 26 pounds.
7 Spoke 14 inch OEM plus tire = 27 pounds.
Overall diameter of the two - almost exactly the same.
I don't know what all the hub bub is about Suzuki OEM 7 spoke wheels.
They weigh almost exactly the same as a good set of aftermarket mags.
However, I'm not complaining.

Regarding the look, I'm not sure which looks best.
I guess you'll be the judge.

Comment from the Mrs: "It hugs the road better."
What?
How does she know that?
There's a high speed "S" turn on the way to work, and she's probably taking it sideways.

This vehicle has been extremely reliable and consistent, delivering about 30.2-30.7 mpg (it is an automatic).
It continues to have no oil leaks and has been a pleasant surprise, helping us out of debt rather quickly.
Again, trying to 'flip' these cars is a pretty stupid move as there really isn't much to be made on the open market.
However DRIVING your money out of them is a real smart way to go, if you are trying to make ends meet.
I'm not really a vert kind of guy, but I will admit there have been a few times when I did cruise into town and pop that vert's top.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:07 pm 

The vert looks really great with the new rims Phil N Ed . :yeahyeah

See The MR. SUZUKI Convertible here >>>> viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24728
or here >>>> http://geometroforum.com/topic/5577648/1/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:29 pm 

[quote="Phil N Ed"]Time to update this thread.

If only I had some center caps!!!

I just checked my pile of parts .
I got 4 center caps (( FREE )) you pay shipping.
The S was worn off so i wet sanded and armour all them .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:46 pm 

It is a singular honor to have you read this humble thread, much less post in it.
Your offer, however is extremely generous as those parts are as scarce as hen's teeth.
There is no way I will take advantage of a guy who owns a vehicle signed by Mr. Suzuki (no joke to those of you who don't know) so I cannot tell a lie.
I found the 4 center caps (actually Mama did) and they are now on the car.

...now if I could just find someone to date my Wife's shy Asian 27 year old niece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:51 pm 

Phil N Ed wrote:
It is a singular honor to have you read this humble thread, much less post in it.
Your offer, however is extremely generous as those parts are as scarce as hen's teeth.
There is no way I will take advantage of a guy who owns a vehicle signed by Mr. Suzuki (no joke to those of you who don't know) so I cannot tell a lie.
I found the 4 center caps (actually Mama did) and they are now on the car.

...now if I could just find someone to date my Wife's shy Asian 27 year old niece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol:

Your joking right :-P :-P
Glad you found some just trying to help :thumbsup:
Again , The car looks great :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:08 am 

It has been 2321 days since this thread began.
6 years, 4 months and 8 days...
The car is still used daily.

There were no updates in 2014.
That is only because the car is unremarkable.
Unremarkable is a good thing.
If you can believe it, the rear view mirror was the 'major repair' in 2014 and thanks to 'top down' for the bail out.
Sometimes the Team comes in handy, eh?

Photobucket bandwidth has been tight so few pictures exist of last year.
I've got that under control, so expect better posts in 2015.

This is our only Metro, and the engine is still good to go.
(Our other cars are Swifts or Sprints.)

The car is due for an oil change, and while peering underneath, I noticed a bad CV axle boot on the driver's side, so that will get changed tomorrow. Earlier in this thread I've documented changing the passenger's side.

It made it to the Teamswift Malibu Meet last month and performed adequately, although it wasn't a big hit with the members.

Between oil changes, the oil level drops to about half-way between the marks.
Blame it on the $25 NPR rings. I'm not complaining. Check 'em out!
The Eristic head gasket, cheapo or no, continues to hold.
The emissions are within the legal limits; it will get a new catalytic converter soon so I expect it to burn even MORE cleanly.
The top has shrunk and now fits quite nicely; you do not have to fight with it to put the top up.
It needs a good cleaning, but otherwise isn't the worst for wear.

All in all, this car is remarkable in that it is keeping us out of the poor house. Big time:
Mama used to have 3 suits in the closet.
Now she has in excess of 24 and can afford more if the closet won't collapse.
Blame it on the Metro.

I thank the Moderators on Teamswift for not banning me.
I thank the members for their continued respect (except that one millionaire/wanna be).
And thanks to the Metro for safely holding together as we near 175,000 miles and 7 years.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:34 am 

Hey, just a random recommendation:

I love Valvoline products, but I've recently been sold on O'Reilly branded synthetic oil. The additive package is made by the same company that makes Valvoline but it's much cheaper--I've had really good luck with it.

Cheers!

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:13 am 

Thanks for the input.

I will be traveling to O'Reilly's today for the CV joint, so we have a bit of a coincidence.
However, the oil posted in the picture was the engine break in oil.
The engine has had a steady diet of Mobil 1 5W-30 'EP'.
It even got the Mobil 1 oil filters til they hit $12 each.
Lately, it has been using the STP oil filters at $3.50ish each and no significant noticeable difference.

It took me many years to switch from dinosaur to synthetic oil.
Now that we can afford it, and I see the results over the past ten years, I will continue to FORCE myself to use synthetic oil...even in my personal daily driver.

As I sit and drink a cup of coffee, collect my thoughts, and come up with a plan to swap in the CV axle, an overview of the project gives me a feeling of a dirty, frustrating, thankless job.
It will be necessary to drive 30 miles to get the parts to finish the little project, and there's no guarantee I won't run into a surprise or two which might stop me dead in my tracks.
Hopefully, that pinch bolt on the control arm has been removed by me at some time in the past.
If so, that will help a lot.

I find it much easier to work on areas of a vehicle which I've touched previously.
For some reason, the bolts aren't as hard to remove, and are in better shape than some I've run into.

All these years, and all the cars we have, perhaps it is worth mentioning that I haven't used an impact or lift...yet.
My compressor is a high volume, lower pressure (60 psi) system more suitable for painting than driving impacts.
However, it is nice to have a 30 gallon tank, and it certainly tops off the tires in no time.

Yes, most of the work has been on my back using hand tools.

Another point I'd like to drive home is the issue of pictures.
Today, I read that someone didn't see why he should post a picture when he was asked.
When I joined this forum, there were no 'smart phones' to speak of, and the internet was pretty much in its infancy.
I had NO IDEA of how to post a picture here.
But this is 2015, smart phones exist, and the photobucket app has drastically reduced the time it takes to include a picture in a post.
I do NOT have a degree in computer science and had to be instructed by members here on the forum about how to post pictures, but today, using the common tools most of us have (smart phone and computer) it took me all of TWO minutes to upload and get the link for this picture:
which gives you an idea of the tight spot I've worked myself into.
However, you can see the top of the Mobil One jug ready to go.

Since the wind is building up outside, I'm glad to be working indoors on a clean flat surface.
If push comes to shove, I may even turn up the thermostat!
:thumb2: :thumb2:
We shall see if the task will go as planned...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:17 am 

We got to the driver's axle today.
You can see the 3 Tech brace caught some axle grease if you look behind the tranny pan:

The front main seal isn't completely 'tight'.
You can see oil on the pan, but it isn't a deal breaker:

Mobil 1 is expensive!

Got lucky with the pinch bolt; here's the old axle:

And side by side with the new one:
I used Mobil 1 grease on the seal surfaces, control arm pin, and external splines.

And will top it off with this:

Everything went well, but while looking from the driver's side, I noticed the passenger side:
and that boot was installed Oct. 2, 2012.
It lasted 844 days or about 2 years and 4 months.
That's not very good!

A passenger axle will arrive tomorrow, so I get to do it again.
I'm not worried about the fluid.
It will do the transmission some good to change the fluid a few times.

Those of you who did that Malibu Meet last month, you might want to check your axle boots.
I might have heated mine a bit too much!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next