TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:20 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Check Egine Light….??
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:57 pm 

95 Suzuki Swift, 206,000 miles…still going strong!….
BUT, today, on the way to town, the Check Engine Light came on and stayed on for about 45 minutes..then it went off…and stayed off...The manual says it is a Emission Control System issue, when this light comes on while driving…So, what could be the problem? Is there any obvious issue to address..I really expect the light to come on again, if it came on today…It has NEVER come on before in all the miles we have put on it…
Thanks for any suggestions…

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:19 pm 

If it has gone back off there is no way to really diagnose the exact problem. If it comes on and stays on there is a way to jump the connectors in the diagnostics plug under the hood which will cause your check engine light to flash a code. Say, it will blink once, then 3 times, then a longer pause, then say twice, then once, and a longer pause. This would be a code 13 and a code 21. You can then look up what those codes mean. Unfortunately I own a 93 and I am not too familiar with the 95s layout. I had to look up how to do the process online for my specific vehicle. However, mine used to come on and off for quite a while before finally staying on (probably 4 or more months of this) and it turned out to be the O2 sensor. You can find one for around $20 on autopartswarehouse.com. So if you have a Jackson burning a hole in your pocket that might be a good place to start. It solved my problem.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:23 pm 

madpilot1 wrote:
If it has gone back off there is no way to really diagnose the exact problem. If it comes on and stays on there is a way to jump the connectors in the diagnostics plug under the hood which will cause your check engine light to flash a code. Say, it will blink once, then 3 times, then a longer pause, then say twice, then once, and a longer pause. This would be a code 13 and a code 21. You can then look up what those codes mean. Unfortunately I own a 93 and I am not too familiar with the 95s layout. I had to look up how to do the process online for my specific vehicle. However, mine used to come on and off for quite a while before finally staying on (probably 4 or more months of this) and it turned out to be the O2 sensor. You can find one for around $20 on autopartswarehouse.com. So if you have a Jackson burning a hole in your pocket that might be a good place to start. It solved my problem.

:goodpost: :goodpost:

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:25 am 

followed the directions to obtain trouble codes:
Did the diagnostic thing using the diagnostic terminal in the fuse box…got a "15" code which has something to do with "ECT sensor circuit"…whatever that may be..Any ideas about what that means..??
thanks for any assistance..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:17 am 

ECT = Engine Coolant Temperature sensor

Check the wires and the sensor.

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:36 am 

Ok, followed every instruction I could find for replacing the ECT Temp sensor…everything shows it to be under the air intake pipe….nothing under the 1.3 95 Swift air intake pipe,( if they are talking about the tube that goes to the air cleaner) BUT, I did find something that LOOKs like the ECT on the OTHER side of the engine..the drivers side that is..it is in clear view and nothing to take off to get to it..IF thats the sensor..anyone that can clarify this, please do so..
thanks

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:27 pm 

It usually is right under the thermostat on the intake manifold. If it's not there try looking on the back of the intake manifold.