TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:55 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:25 am 

I have an opportunity to pickup a Turbo Firefly with good mechanicals but a rusty body in Chiliwac Bc. I do not have a passport or way to transport the car over the border but would be able to drag home if it were on the Washington side. Are there any members here who go into Canada often with a trailer who would be able to help bring the car over? I could help with fuel and pay a small amount for the time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:41 am 

One of the first things a B@rder Inspector will ask you while driving your car or bringing a car over the border, are you the registered owner?

If you are not the registered owner you better have alot of paperwork and some cash, to fix your new problems.

Now, if a Canadi@n owner of a car was to drive over the border and sell you his car and walk back across the border, or you give him a ride in a different car back home, that's legal.

But, trying to buy a complete car in Canad@ and bringing it across the US b@rder by yourself without some import paperwork, there will be a very good chance you will have the car impounded & confiscated.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:10 pm 

What about parting out on the Canadian side and bring over that way? I only need the drive train wiring, body kit and inteior...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:40 pm 

I don't know about now but I have done just that about 7 years ago! I drove across loaded car up came back no problem. Now the people on the USA side took one look and sent me thru no questions ask. H did to want to dig thru car full of parts. But now maybe a different story. I also was on other end of country coming across a very busy crossing at Niagra Falls. That may have been why I was sent on thru.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:41 pm 

Lets sticky this. I for one, will be sitting on the edge of my seat. wanting to know how this one shakes out. there is a guy up in Winnipeg with two turbo parts cars that I would dearly love to get my hands on. So Please keep us updated as to what you finally end up doing and how it worked out. Jonathan

1991 Vert (red) 129k 5sp,AC, Resto-Mod, 75% Done.(Clean SW car)
1993 GT(Teal) 103k 5sp,AC,w/PW (Resto-Mod,60% done.)(Clean SW car)
1994 Swift GS 4Dr sedan (Painted 2005 Ford Kona Blue) 95k 1.3 SOHC 5sp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:50 pm 
Suzuki Elder

METRO-MIKE wrote:
One of the first things a B@rder Inspector will ask you while driving your car or bringing a car over the border, are you the registered owner?

If you are not the registered owner you better have alot of paperwork and some cash, to fix your new problems.

Now, if a Canadi@n owner of a car was to drive over the border and sell you his car and walk back across the border, or you give him a ride in a different car back home, that's legal.

But, trying to buy a complete car in Canad@ and bringing it across the US b@rder by yourself without some import paperwork, there will be a very good chance you will have the car impounded & confiscated.

and this was my experience maybe 7 or 8 years ago.

a canadian ts member had purchased a swift ga on ebay from a sailor returning from duty in puerto rico. the sailor had sent his car on a cargo ship to baltimore where it was sitting in a no start condition at the docks. my dad and i drove from ohio to maryland, picked up the swift with a trailer and drove to the border crossing bridge at niagra falls. the buyer walked across the bridge and met us on the us side, got into the suburban, and we headed for canada.

the us side was slam packed with semi trucks and we were directed through customs without being stopped. at the canadian side these wonder twin nazi customs officials acted as if we were smuggling drugs, gave the buyer/ owner the third degree even though he had titles, a bill of sale, copies of screen shots of the ebay transaction, etc. the 22 year old female canadian custom nazi was a screaming bitch about the whole deal and sent us back across the bridge to the us side.

the us custom nazi acted like we were trying to pull some sneaky shit and told my dad that he was going to confiscate his suburban, the trailer, and the contraband suzuki and send us all to the pokey. my dad, about 75 at the time, was just short of stroking out when another customs agent came out and tapped the first guy on the shoulder, and whispered "shift change" in his ear. the prick headed back into the building and the new guy looked at my dad and said, "get out of here."

i ended up bringing the swift back home, getting it running, putting good tires on it, and driving it to windsor to deliver it to the canadian guy at the windsor harley davidson shop.

i bought a rusted to shit but complete 89 turbo firefly on ebay from a guy in ottawa and there was just no way the us government was going to let me bring it back. even with the car cut in half and strapped on a trailer the customs dudes wouldn't let it cross the border. the guy that bought the ebay swift, his cousin, and another long gone teamswifter pulled all the turbo3 parts and delivered them to me at a meat packing plant in detroit. that was the only way for me to get parts for my blue turbo3 vert build. :wink:

1989 canadian cars will meet the safety requirements in the usa because the 89 us market suzukis had b pillar mounted seat belts. the problem lies in that the turbo3 was never homologated for emissions. to meet the import requirements you must obtain a "suitability of fitness" certificate from the manufacture to legally import a car from canada. the car also gets sent to an impound lot for 72 hours while the paperwork packet is processed, the car is "inspected" which means, depending on the mood of the nazi on the case, that they will pull seats, door panels, interior trim panels, or whatever else they feel like having sex with and leave the car with a pile of parts in the gravel of the impound lot. :blackeye:

i've never gotten a straight answer on what happens if they disallow import. maybe your car disappears. :huh:

anyway, good luck to you. there's some 25 year rule that might apply now that the cars are older but i highly doubt that a truly legit importation, one that would allow you use the real vin to register the car in the usa, is going to happen with a turbo3 type suzuki. they were a canadian market only car from 89 to 91, their years of production.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:01 pm 

Best bet. Either talk to an importer or make a lot of phone calls to both borders. Easier way is have the parts you want stripped off and just have them brought to you. It would be a lot easier. I knowna few people that have gotten cars from the us when our dollar was good you there economy was the shits. But even that took about 72 hours total.

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:52 pm 

Their is a way now with the 25 year rule it should be easer. I know that they are brining classic muscle cars from mexico that were built and sold in Mexico to the U.S., and my friend is in the process of importing a datsun. Look into the new 25 year import law. http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ%20Site/pages/page2.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:06 am 

Well im giving the seller a 150 cdn deposit and ive decided ill have to strip the car on the Can side...if ant members could help on this it would be very much appreciated... I dont want the body I just want hood, hatch, body kit, interior, and mechanicals. The seller is a little impatient but the deal is too good to pass up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:02 am 

If I was not stranded on my island I would be there to help .

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:48 pm 

Having some help would be nice!...I probably don't know what im getting myself into haha...If there were any Canadian menbers that could even have the car at there place it would be even better. Im working on getting a passport card but im not sure when ill get it yet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:09 pm 

Well I've given a deposit, and I have two weeks to pick up the car. Hopefully something will work out. My plan is to strip the car keep what I want and scrap the body.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:56 pm 

Some thoughts to ponder while you make your travel plans.

(1) When you are bringing back the parts you need across the border, it may help if the seller gave you some sort of sales receipt showing that you purchased (list of) parts for $x value.

(2) Unless the seller allows you to strip the car and then leave the leftover body shell at his own property, you may want to consider pre-arrange how to dispose of the scrap metal. Maybe a local Pic N Pull or other auto wrecker yard would agree to haul the whole car to their location, and then let you strip off all the parts you wanted from there. (assuming the car could be stored somewhere off limits to other customers) If so, this may give you maybe a cleaner and safer spot to do your work (and the wrecker would have the scrap metal already when you are done)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:03 am 
Island Inbreeder

I Unsubscribe to this thread......jv&s

Last edited by jaguar,vettes&sprints on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:05 am 

That's an AWESOME picture..........

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:18 pm 

Well at this point ive got an appointment for a same day passport in Seattle and I've been contacting customs and also storage facilities in Bc, if things fall through I can have the car put into a storage facility until I can get up there to strip the car. I also have two weeks to figure something out. I love that picture btw!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:33 pm 
Island Inbreeder

TTT

Last edited by jaguar,vettes&sprints on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:36 am 

Any suggestions from anyone here? I might try to reserve storage facility in Bc if the seller agrees. Or if I can get a member here to help...another idea rolling around in my head is to drive the doner car to Bc and swap everything over.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:27 am 

When my wife and I moved from California to Nebraska we used a 26' Penske rental truck. the first thing in the truck was her Metro. We packed the breakables in the car covered with mattresses and the buried it with content s of a three bed room apartment.

1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed 3-door hatchback "herbie"
1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed convertible "sportie"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:41 pm 

I would keep coming to this forum just to see the pictures :lol: :lol: :lol: (Like the one JV&S posted above) What a great picture, Jonathan

Most of us swift/metro owners, are a bit sideways anyway 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:01 pm 
Island Inbreeder

.......jv&s

Last edited by jaguar,vettes&sprints on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:25 pm 

More awesome pictures from JV&S. WHERE DO you find this great stuff??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Jonathan