TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:36 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New buyer new member!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:22 pm 

Hello everyone!

So I was looking at a bargain finder at work today and brought up to everyone that there were two geo metros for sale for $500. A guy I work with chimed in and said he has a swift that I could buy from him thats not currently running but all it needs is an alternator and a fuel pump. Also needs headlights but I'm just worried about getting it running right now. I'm pretty sure it's a 1998. Here's the kicker, he wants $150 dollars for it. Says it could use new tires also. the frame is in good shape.

Would I be an idiot to not take this deal? I figure I could put like 200 dollars into it and gave a great work vehicle (90 mile round trip daily)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:26 pm 

I currently daily a 95 s10. Get about 20 mpg also. Insurance on the swift would be 19 dollars a month so I figure I'd save in the long run

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:58 pm 

Welcome to Teamswift, A 98 swift for $150.00 could easily be scrapped out to get your money back, should you get in over your head. But just a couple random thoughts, 1) tires, I am a used tire dealer (Courtasy tire, Brainerd MN) both 155/80r-13 and 175/70r-13 (an alternate size that I find preferable) tires are becoming very difficult to find used ,especially sets or pairs. so you might want to figure an addl.$150.00 to $200.00 just for those If you end up having to buy new. 2) Headlight issue; does it need bulbs ? (cheap but unlikely both are bad) or are the capsules damaged? figure $30.00 to $50.00 each here or on GMF or your local yard. Or are all the components in place, and not working properly? if so. this can be a Can of worms. with a bad headlight switch in the steering column being a common suspect. If so, You might want to nose around the "problems and fixes" threads, as I am sure it has been addressed by some of our better minds. Also I sure I along with others would be interested to know this cars configuration. 2dr or 4dr ? 5 speed or auto. ?

Again, welcome to teamswift, Best wishes, Jonathan

1991 Vert (red) 129k 5sp,AC, Resto-Mod, 75% Done.(Clean SW car)
1993 GT(Teal) 103k 5sp,AC,w/PW (Resto-Mod,60% done.)(Clean SW car)
1994 Swift GS 4Dr sedan (Painted 2005 Ford Kona Blue) 95k 1.3 SOHC 5sp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:20 pm 

Rule No. 1
Do not buy anything you didn't inspect yourself if you are a car guy . If you are not a car guy, find one and have him look it over.
Why would anyone stop driving '98 Swift unless its wrecked , rotted away or has major mechanical problems? I've seen million ads saying its an easy fix "just $50 and you will have it running". Really? If its an easy fix why are you selling it for so much less then its worth? Why didn't you fix it yourself and get $2000 its actually worth?

You got your red flag , proceed with caution.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:39 pm 

It's an automatic I know of. The headlights he said the guy he bought from took the whole assembly out (maybe just one side) haven't seen it yet.

As far as car guy I'm pretty capable myself. Owning a 240sx tuner lol

The guy bought the car for his son (who I also work with) to drive but his kid didn't wanna drive it (stuck up) he doesn't drive it himself because he drives a 5 speed metro. And they only live like 5 minutes from work compared to my hour.

Getting a bad deal isn't a worry to me because I'm good friends with this guy. If something happened he would give me my money back for the car. Said he planned on paying to have everything fixed and sell to another guy for $700 but if I want it now the way it is, I can give him what he paid for it.