TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:26 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:29 pm 

I'm looking for a thread or advice on swapping a non turbo engine out and popping a turbo engine in.

My two cars are 91 Pontiac firefly turbo manual and 1990 Pontiac firefly convertible non turbo manual.

Thank you all.

J

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:50 am 

Fairly straightforward

If you want the fog lights etc
Swap the dash harness as well

Swap engine harness
Front body harness
Fuel pump
Cluster if you want the turbo light
You'll need to swap the igniter as well

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:29 pm 

Thank you for the info.

Is there a DIY or thread of someone doing this conversion? I'd love to read more about the process including the pros and cons.

J

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:55 pm 

just did this twice in the last year, just last week was my second. its really easy. the hard part if you don't swap the dash harness is making the igniter work, but if you under stand wiring schematics even that is easy.

and the only con about doing it is less gas millage because your always flying not putting around.

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:21 am 

redneck racing wrote:
just did this twice in the last year, just last week was my second. its really easy. the hard part if you don't swap the dash harness is making the igniter work, but if you under stand wiring schematics even that is easy.

and the only con about doing it is less gas millage because your always flying not putting around.

What did you do ?
Change the order of wires in the connector for the igniter ?

See The MR. SUZUKI Convertible here >>>> viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24728
or here >>>> http://geometroforum.com/topic/5577648/1/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:26 pm 
Suzuki Elder

there's no big deal about making the turbo3 ignitor and coil work on the original normally aspirated chassis wiring. :huh:

the n/a front chassis harness already has keyed power to the existing coil, there's one of the 4 wires. the turbo3 engine wiring harness has the yellow and orange ignition event proving and trigger wires. that takes out 3 or the 4 wires. and the 4th wire runs to ground through a diode(and that is already a part of the wiring bundle that's clipped to the left strut tower.)

so, in essence, you are just cutting and splicing 2 wires to make the chassis like the turbo3 ignition, switched power and ground. when i do the swap i use a white oval 2 pin oem connector for power and ground and another white oval 2 pin oem connector for the yellow and orange wires from the engine harness. i rob the connectors from scrap harnesses from any of the variant wiring. they pretty much used those same connectors on every swift, firefly, sprint or geo from 89 thru 98. adding those connectors makes it possible to do a "quick release" among the ignitor, engine harness, and chassis harness.

it's making those 4 connections for the turbo3 ignition and everything else is plug and chug as far as the ecu connections and the dash/ cluster connectors under the steering column. as long as the swapped chassis is an 89 thru 91 mk2 sf413 variant. the mk2 turbo3 was produced as a canadian market only vehicle between 89 and 91.

there's an irregularity noted on the factory schematic which notes a california air quality model which was never produced.

i have not looked for a very long time but i had threads that covered most of this stuff. maybe you can find my "ol' blue" thread. i did have very detailed wiring tips and pics in that thread. maybe some of the pics still work. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:46 pm 

Thanks Richard . :D
I am looking at Ol Blues thread and CJDave MK2 Turbo 3 supplement .
Would it be possible in a 1992 body to keep the dash harness and do what you did ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:50 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the 92 mk3 harness connectors are different from the mk2 turbo3 engine harness leaving the options of changing the connectors on the engine harness to match those of the chassis or changing the connectors on the chassis harness to match those of the mk2 engine harness. it really doesn't matter which method you use to do the swap into a mk3 chassis.

you can de-pin the connectors and transfer them to either the mk 2 or mk 3 connectors or you can cut and solder the connector wires to make the transistion.

the wiring change to adapt the ignition works on both the mk2 and mk3 chassis.

there is a caveat to this swap, though. the sir system controls are a part of the vert ecu and when you make the turbo3 swap to an american model vert you will lose the steering wheel air bag.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:37 pm 

Thanks Richard :D