TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:17 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Barn find
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:42 pm 

Hello , I'm new to TSWIFT. While working at a new job I noticed a tarped over lump with small rubber tires peeking from below. I asked the resident John what was hiding underneath .The reply was essentially "during the gas inflation period( remember 50% earth oil supply peaking) of early 2000 John decided to buy an economical car. He was an English car mechanic who wanted simple, if you can push car by hand light weight ,no electric windows,AC,no P.steering or radio.
I'm dont remember mileage of hand but it's around 2000 miles . I asked if it was for sale and the to make that part of the story short I'm now the new owner of a brand new 2000 Suzuki swift ,4cyl,5 speed ,hatchback.
After two years of not being started we hooked up new battery and second click it started to purr......
I probably could of held on to first crank duration but was trying to be short and sweet with first crank.
This is why I have joined this forum. When I get it liscensed and washed I'll take a picture and post it.
What would value be ? Is there a following for this model? I plan on keeping it away from winter driving(salt) and use to save money on gas . I use a pick up truck for work so for I aquired it to go grocery getting and evening and weekend driving.

Post subject: Re: Barn find
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:32 pm 

First welcome to the site!

It's kinda ironic that you are describing your ultra low mileage MK5 2000 Swift as a barn find. Especially a hatch with the 5 speed 1.3L engine combination.

Valuation opinions will have to wait until you are able to post some pics! The MK5 was the last generation of Suzuki/GM designed Swift badged cars sold in North America, also sold as Geo or Chevrolet or Pontiac: Metro/Firefly. Subsequent Swift badged cars in North America were Daewoo designs.

Most of the Swift owners on this site have a Swift variant (MK1 to MK5) that dates between 1984 to 2000 model year. (or 2001 for those that were able to buy an ex-lease Swift). There is a General Performance subsection within this forum for [North American MK4/MK5 95-01 Specifics] topics.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:37 pm 

Welcome Rob :D , I can hardly wait to see the pics ! Sounds Good !

See The MR. SUZUKI Convertible here >>>> viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24728
or here >>>> http://geometroforum.com/topic/5577648/1/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:34 am 

http://tinypic.com/1r54w6dw

Here is link to pictures

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:40 pm 

Rob68 wrote:
http://tinypic.com/1r54w6dw

Here is link to pictures

Holy shit that looks nice. Great find. Hope you take goos care of it.

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:52 pm 

Thanks for posting those pictures. It is in exactly the condition one would expect from a 15 year old car that has travelled only 14,500 kilometres (9,000 miles), and that appears to not have been ever driven in the rain!

Maybe Cami Man can comment on the rarity of your Swift.

I think the Suzuki branded MK5 variants were more likely to be equipped as yours is than the Chevrolet Metro or Pontiac Firefly (specifically the 1.3 4-cylinder 3 door hatch with 5 speed and no A/C or PS)

The MSRP of your car was about $14,000 CDN when new. The price valuation done today would never be found on any web configurator retail price chart, but the value by an appraiser would be based on the characteristics of someone wanting to own a unused car of this type and equipment.. Here you have a choice to make. Do you drive the car or preserve it as a collector car? If you plan to drive it as a daily driver, it turns into a used car, and the value will drop... If you buy it as a collector car, the value could slowly increase with inflation, but may not be historically important as there are few wealthy auto enthusiasts that would want to add a car like this to their collection. A museum may one day appreciate the under the radar goodness of this car, and want to feature it, but that is a long shot.

In my opinion, your plans to use it as a light use daily driver is a good one. All Suzuki Swifts/Geos/Firefly/Cultus/Barina etc. variants were built with thin paint, and exposed fasteners that have little or no effective plating for corrosion resistance. Even on a car stored for so many years like yours, you can see a bit of this patina on your car - some of the screws and fasteners have a light layer of corrosion, and the suspension arms have some surface rust on the low spots where condensation has accumulated. On my 1991 Cultus that I imported from Japan, there was dry lubricant sprayed over everything in the entire under hood area; this worked remarkably to minimize surface deterioration from moist air.

If I were to be auctioning your car, I would estimate the value of your car selling at up to $8,000, and would put at least a $6,000 reserve on it. To obtain this type of price, you would need to be patient, as a buyer with the means and knowledge to pay this kind of money is as rare as the car. The upper limit on market price is currently constrained by the availability of brand new cars such as the Nissan Micra that sell for as little as $11,000 CDN.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:39 pm 

Very sweet ride. :D
I would Krown spray it to preserve it. :D

See The MR. SUZUKI Convertible here >>>> viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24728
or here >>>> http://geometroforum.com/topic/5577648/1/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:02 pm 
Make love, not moderators

Talk about an amazing find!

Not even broken in yet!

Be sure to change all the vital fluids and the tires..

Tires are only good for about 6 years whether they are driven on or not.