TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:04 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:26 am 

Picked up a mid-wing for my Metro a while back and once I get back home from overseas, I plan on painting/installing it. Since my car obviously didn't originally come with it, I lack the mounting points in my hatch.

Looking for anyone who has a wing removed, or that will be removing their wing for any reason (like swapping to Strider's carbon unit) that is willing to make up a template for me out of paper or cardboard. I did get measurements a little while back from a member. but with my tendency to be a perfectionist and the whole permanent-ness of drilling holes into the car, I would feel better with a template to go off of as well.

No rush, as I am doing contract work in Bahrain. Thanks in advance.

'94 Metro LSi 'Green Machine'
'94 RHD (Totaled)
Vail, AZ

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:18 am 

I believe they are a stick on job

8mm silicon wires.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:15 am 

They have a few mounting studs.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:07 pm 

I would think that you could line it up around the wiper hole and set it level and that would be pretty close.

Ken.......

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:42 pm 

Trouble is a mid wing car uses a different washer set up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:14 am 

Thanks for the replies. Still hoping for a template.

'94 RHD (Totaled)
Vail, AZ

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:41 am 

I don't think this will help much, but I traced out a template when I installed my midwing a couple years ago.
In the end, I think I made some short studs, sharpened one end, and threaded them into the midwing. Then I lined it up on the car, and pressed on the mounting areas to leave marks in the paint where the holes go.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:25 pm 

razr769 wrote:
In the end, I think I made some short studs, sharpened one end, and threaded them into the midwing. Then I lined it up on the car, and pressed on the mounting areas to leave marks in the paint where the holes go.

That's my plan, if nothing better comes up. Thats what I did with my side skirt holes. Used cut-off plastic 'Christmas tree' fasteners with red paint on the ends.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:49 pm 

Bump.

Checking again, before I head home for a few weeks.

'94 RHD (Totaled)
Vail, AZ

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:52 pm 

Gary, I know you also posted this question on GMF. To save time, I will respond here on TS, and add a link to your GMF post.

The information for the mid wing location was measured from my stock Canadian market 1991 Chevrolet Sprint Turbo hatch.

General: The mid wing spoiler is secured to the hatch with a total of 4 Phillips pan head bolts. (2 per side).

This photo shows the location of one of the 2 upper pan head bolts. The hatch sheet metal is double walled here, so an access hole of 3/4"diameter is needed to allow access for the upper mid wing bolts to pass through the exterior sheet metal to the mid wing spoiler. The round factory black plastic tape cover has been peeled back in this photo to show the upper bolt and access hole.

The 2 lower bolts go directly through the sheet metal to the mid wing, and use a fender washer.

Below is a picture view of the upper and lower bolts attached to the mid wing. The upper bolt is covered by a round black factory tape over the 3/4 inch access hole.

Next below, is a picture of the hatch of a Swift without the mid wing. This example has a GT upper hatch spoiler. Note there are no holes pre-drilled for an owner to simply bolt on a mid wing spoiler later on - for cars without a mid wing spoiler from the factory.

I have added several reference points to the hatch (marked in red) to allow one to locate where to drill the upper and lower mounting bolt holes on each side of the hatch door, to be drilled from the inside of the hatch door outward through the external sheet metal. You can use a smaller drill bit first so you can check that the mid wing holes line up properly before drilling full size holes.

You may need to zoom in on the photo to see the red letter reference symbols better:

X= bottom edge of hatch door sheet metal (at end of an imaginary line passing through centres of L, X, Y)
Y= upper edge of holes in sheet metal where the black adjustable rubber hatch bumpers are screwed in.
Z= centre point of the black plastic plugs located under the upper hatch door hinges.
U= location of the centre point of the upper mid wing bolts.
L= location of the centre point of the lower mid wing bolts.

Distances and measurements:
X to L = 7.25 inches
U to Z = 16.75 inches (centre to centre)
U TO L = 6.50 inches (bolt centres)
L TO Y = 4.00 inches (bolt centre to edge of hole)
U to edge of black hatch trim adjacent to hatch window = 1.50 inches (bolt centre to edge)
L to edge of black hatch trim adjacent to hatch window = 1.50 inches (bolt centre to edge)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:25 pm 

To be clear the 1.5 inch distance is the distance between either of the mid wing bolt centres (marked U or L) and the *edge* of the exposed black trim on the side of the hatch door, as seen on the right side of the updated photo and represented as thin red lines .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:13 am 

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:06 pm 

You're welcome!

I also found an old GMF thread written by razr769 about mid wing installation. For some reason, the only way a search for this post finds the thread is via Google, or if you use the GMF search engine, you had to know that Member razr769 posted a thread 3 years ago about mid wings.

His pictures show more detail about retrofitting the mid wing to a Metro. One of the steps he showed involve [denting] the hatch where the mounting pads on the underside of the mid wing make contact with the hatch exterior sheet metal. I don't fully understand why this was necessary, as the mid wing's mounting pads are in perfect contact with a hatch door's sheet metal surface, without need for metal modification.

Picture of exterior holes on razr769's hatch door.

Link to his thread:
Modifying My Midwing (posted by Razr769 on Jan 6 2013)http://geometroforum.com/topic/5040173/1/