TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:20 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:30 am 

Greeting Swift friends

So I'm at the point in my project where I realized that the stock 1.3l just isn't going to get me the kind of power I'm looking for, not without a socking great turbo anyway. After a bit of digging I had the I had to except that I just had to get a bigger motor. Now I have nothing against Honda but if I'm doing a swap I want a Suzuki motor now I know the 1.6l swap has been done but I wanted something from a newer car and so the 2.0l from the Forenza also because some came with 6 speed manuals and I really want a 6 speed.

So I'm asking you all, Has anyone done a Suzuki 2.0l swap on there Swift/Metro? If so what do I need to know? How's the reliability? and all those questions. If your wondering I had wanted to 275ish HP but I've rejected my dreams to a more realistic 175 to 200 HP with turbo. I know it is do able with the 1.3l but what little I've seen subjects that it looses reliability once you get it over 110 HP and I do want to be able to drive it on the street. Any help you guys can offer would be great I'm still a ways off from starting cant do a swap without money. Thank in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:56 am 

Why would anyone want Dae Woo engine in their Suzuki??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:03 pm 
Make love, not moderators

Get a J series engine from an Aerio or Esteem.

Easier to source and cheaper to buy, plus the transmission is a lot stronger.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:30 pm 

Thank you that's the kind of info I was looking for.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:09 pm 

DTM GTi wrote:
Why would anyone want Dae Woo engine in their Suzuki??

It's a question of reliability see attacked link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLLFm9EiN3c I wont put a Honda motor in and having a 2.0l swift shows cool even if its not practical.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:17 pm 

There have been a few J series swaps done before but minimal documentation on them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:17 pm 

There have been a few J series swaps done before but minimal documentation on them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:54 pm 

Ok so I've done some more looking. This project cars is the worst one to build a street car that would will see regular race use so the more reliable things are the better so any thoughts on the motor from the new swift. The more power the engine has stock the less I have to make to reach my goal and the more reliable I can make the engine in theory, and as I tell all my friends everything always works in theory.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:08 am 

Good luck finding an m series in north America. Might want to try the redline gti forums

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:43 pm 

Just a random note: while a Forenza is indeed a Daewoo, more or less, the engine is GM derived via Holden. I wouldn't put one in my Swift, but the motor is probably the best part of the car.

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:56 pm 

Part of the reason I was thanking that engine was because it was in almost every Suzuki from about the time they stopped building the Swift until they brought it back. Also after looking up images for the block it (appears to) have the same mounting points as the 1.3l so it (shouldn't) take much to get it to fit. That was the thought at least.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:54 pm 

Swift101 wrote:
Part of the reason I was thanking that engine was because it was in almost every Suzuki from about the time they stopped building the Swift until they brought it back. Also after looking up images for the block it (appears to) have the same mounting points as the 1.3l so it (shouldn't) take much to get it to fit. That was the thought at least.

What engine? Just did some reading on the forenza motor I wouldn't use it for the sole fact of it uses a cast iron block.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:22 pm 

What engine? Just did some reading on the forenza motor I wouldn't use it for the sole fact of it uses a cast iron block.[/quote]

The 2.0l out of the Forenza. Unless your talking about the new swift in which cast the 1.6l its rated at about 137 HP, so even a small turbo should put me close to my goal. I know the 2.0l cast iron that the other part to why I want it I know this heavier but I personally have blown two engines and the one I have now has stripped some of the oil pan bolts, and that's not even what's wrong with it I thank the crankshaft is broken but my brother is using my engine stand right now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:01 pm 

The forenza and reno are the only 2 suzukis to use that engine you are talking about. Its a GM?holden? daewoo motor cast iron block twin cam aluminum head on some models and aparently a turbo version its probably a good motor but there are probably better motors out there.
IF you want to keep with that then you should head over to a Daewoo forum. there is nothing suzuki in that suzuki other then the badge.

If you want a 2.0 suzuki motor you are going to be looking at the J series motor available in the SX4, Areo and chevy trackers/suzuki vitara. The 2010 and up SX4 are supposed to be the best of these motors from what I have read around the SX4 forums it also came with a 6speed like you are wanting. early areos and sx4s had bottom end issues.

The M series suzuki motor would be fun but they never made it to North America.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:13 pm 

I was under the impression that the SX4 was RWD thank you i'll look into it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:20 pm 

Base model Sx4 was FWD with the option of AWD. But still laid out like a FWD car.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:28 am 

I just put a Honda K20 in, love it or hate it, it's one of the best motors out there, 225whp stock and sky's the limit with aftermarket support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5D5-NvaxMM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:21 pm 

mistral wrote:
I just put a Honda K20 in, love it or hate it, it's one of the best motors out there, 225whp stock and sky's the limit with aftermarket support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5D5-NvaxMM

I saw your video, saw waiting for the next one. I'm wanting to keep the car Suzuki for all the major stuff I know part can be hard to find and that's why I'm looking for a motor from a newer Suzuki. Keep up the work can't wait to see your car done.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:42 am 

Swift101 the video link I posted was from a new video, it was just uploaded a few days ago, thanks for checking out my build.

One thing people forget about when choosing a swap motor is the transmission, it's very important the transmission either has a stock LSD or there is an aftermarket one available for that model. It's great to have power but not being able to get the power down on such a light car and having no traction and doing one wheel peels all the time gets a bit old. There was a friend who swapped a newer Suzuki Kizashi motor/trans into a MK1, very extensive build to get the motor in but he did it. In the end the results were a bit underwhelming, no LSD available for that setup meant the power never translated to making the car as fast as it should be, he had just under 200 hp but my old setup with a my good transmission and the 1.3 G13B was much faster.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:55 pm 

Mistral, I watched the video after I posted that in hindsight should have watched it first.

Getting a LSD was always my first goal even the 75 hp my car makes (or made before I started experimenting, it was down to about 55 to 60 because I didn't know what I was doing but still) is enough to spin out the inside tire if I gave it gas in the turns and that's on my 195/55r15. I've got a lot of work to do and even more research.

Attachments:
File comment: The good side
Swift.jpg
Swift.jpg [ 512.84 KIB | Viewed 1402 times ]