TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:06 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:24 pm 

Anyone is experienced in Lower Mainland?

[not anymore] It's about both repair the floor pan/rockers (rust) and building something, and safety cage. [/not anymore]

Thanks.

Last edited by CMA on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:19 pm 

good luck with finding a shop who will fix our obsolete cars at a price you are willing.

there aren't too many members left here in Vancouver who welds.

you are better off buying a mig and DIY...
http://www.everlastwelders.ca/
These should be more than good enough for the job.

'60 Austin Healey Sprite, '67 Austin Healey 3000, '74 celica GT w/ 18rg, '88 RX7 10th anniversary, '89 MR2 SC, '05 Infiniti G35 6MT

Had
'80 Renault Le Car, '73 Celica ST, '76 VW Rabbit, '96 Honda Civic Si coupe, '87 Toyota Corolla GTS hatchbk
Casually looking for
early 240Z, Celica All-Trac ST165, Supra Turbo A80, NSX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:09 pm 

Man, I wish you guys were down my way in Southeastern Washington. I'd fix it for free just to see some Swifters and keep these on the road.

pacapo wrote:
You get an old one, clean it up, put it back to specs and take care of it, and she'll last for years.

JVS wrote:
We (the Suzuki enthusiast) are Dinosaurs.

An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind.

1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: Red "My PocketRocket"
1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: White (Being resurrected)
1996 Geo Metro (Stocker)
1999 Suzuki 1.6 Esteem (Baleno) Wagon (Sleeper creeper)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:02 am 

Yeah I wish I could take a lesson how to use TIG. I would prefer experience welder for my safety reason.

swifterthanu... someday, I will contact you.. I am glad to take a cruise someday. ;p

Just want to strength the car and then build roll cage... and of course create something new parts for my car. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:53 pm 

TIG is not as hard as you think. But it is slow compared to mig or flux core. At least with good equipment.

If I factor in the amount of welding work four of my cars need on the body and custom exhaust.

Maybe I will get that diversion 180 or the everlast. Should have could have would have... The miller has gone up in price to match the exchange rate. Last time I lusted for one, it was $2200 cdn from KMS tools.

'60 Austin Healey Sprite, '67 Austin Healey 3000, '74 celica GT w/ 18rg, '88 RX7 10th anniversary, '89 MR2 SC, '05 Infiniti G35 6MT

Had
'80 Renault Le Car, '73 Celica ST, '76 VW Rabbit, '96 Honda Civic Si coupe, '87 Toyota Corolla GTS hatchbk
Casually looking for
early 240Z, Celica All-Trac ST165, Supra Turbo A80, NSX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:46 am 

clinty wrote:
TIG is not as hard as you think. But it is slow compared to mig or flux core. At least with good equipment.

If I factor in the amount of welding work four of my cars need on the body and custom exhaust.

Maybe I will get that diversion 180 or the everlast. Should have could have would have... The miller has gone up in price to match the exchange rate. Last time I lusted for one, it was $2200 cdn from KMS tools.

I was fortunate to buy a Lincoln 140T MIG in 2010. My next door neighbor grew up welding and taught me the basics. I started playing around more and more and then I was introduced to a family of welders / artists. There was not a single process that wasn't mastered by these guys. I started my welding business with one of the sons. Him and his dad taught me aluminum and TIG. I bought another 140T and a Lincoln 255 commercial MIG. I also outfitted my F350 with a Ranger 9 by Lincoln. Within the year I was in a big commercial building surrounded by professional certified welders and I was their boss! I learned a lot in the time frame I had before I closed shop.

Today, I call myself a fabricator before a welder. I can envision my project then put it to paper then make it. I can weld all processes without ever having gone to trade school and I started in 2010!

I remember a slogan one of my foreman wrote on the job board in the breakroom, "You can teach a monkey to weld but you can't teach a monkey to fabricate."

pacapo wrote:
You get an old one, clean it up, put it back to specs and take care of it, and she'll last for years.

JVS wrote:
We (the Suzuki enthusiast) are Dinosaurs.

An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind.

1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: Red "My PocketRocket"
1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: White (Being resurrected)
1996 Geo Metro (Stocker)
1999 Suzuki 1.6 Esteem (Baleno) Wagon (Sleeper creeper)