TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:02 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:34 pm 

If you don't want to pay my $XXX, and send me your core first, you can still buy them for $XXX+ from an auto parts store.

(Edited to remove previous pricing.)

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

Last edited by Phil N Ed on Mon May 09, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:32 am 

Phil N Ed wrote:
Hey Scotty:
If you don't want to pay my $XXX, and send me your core first, you can still buy them for $269+ from an auto parts store.

Edited to remove pricing information.

Last edited by Phil N Ed on Mon May 09, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:25 pm 

Hey guys,

I was wondering, is it possible to remove the carb and ecm on the 85-88, and just put on a weber 32? I am asking in reference to both manual and auto, but specifically auto trans models. The goal I am after is to simplofy the drivetrain as much as possible. Has anyone here done this? Thanks.

Edit********My mistake, I didn't realize this was a for sale thread. Somebody sent me this link. Sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:28 am 
@ssclown

Great info Phil 'n Ed, thankyou. I have four '87 and '88 Sprints and Forsas with carburettors, but they are all Aisin carburettors. This post on the MCS seems to be referring to Hitachi carburetors. Could you tell me whether or not my Aisin carburettors have these mixture control solenoids, and if they do, how to determine whether or not they are working properly?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:51 pm 

Okay phil , lets say i'm a fairly handy guy and have successfully rebuilt the motor and trans on my 85 mk1 , but I knew it wasn't running quite right . Lets say I figured the carb needed work , I knew the fuel level was too high through the sight glass ,plus of course the m.c.s. didn't respond to testing .
Long story short , how much for a m.c.s. without a core ?
slick

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:30 am 

Let's say I rebuilt these two engines:

and I was a pretty handy guy, too.
One ran great (silver) and the other ran lousy (gold).
So I scratched my head.
All I could see different between the two engines was this:

So I asked my neighbor (Ed) if he could see any differences in the cam gears.
He couldn't.
I had lurked on here for years and we decided to 'join' this site.
Hence the name "Phil N Ed".

We asked the good Mr. Suprf1y if there was any difference, and he was kind enough to say there wasn't any.

SO.....we're back to square one.

Long story short?
Finally the Gold car was fixed. It was the MCS. I drove that stupid car for months before I got around to rebuilding the carburetor. The float wasn't the problem. It was the MCS. I drove it into town today. 75 mph the whole way, and she scoots along just fine. Really pisses off the newer cars, too. I do shut down the A/C on the hills, though.
I LOVE my 87 4 doors (above). They don't look like much, but are fast lane commuters once the engine is thoroughly warmed up.

Save yourself some money.
Fix the float level first. If it won't idle right, that's your problem, especially if the level isn't in the glass.
If you want an MCS, let me know. A new MCS can fix a multitude of sins. If I ever sell one, the money will just go to another member for parts he is selling. I'm not making a killing here!!!

Probably before the year is out, I'll be picking up some underbody braces from the fellows on this site.
When I do, I won't haggle with them on the price.
If they want my core, even if I broke it pulling it out, I'll throw it at them.

Last bit of advice: check your bowl vent solenoid to see if it's opening. It's a cinch to check and sometimes they get stuck. If you clean the plunger and put it back together with a little silicone grease, it should work fine again.
When they get stuck, it makes the car run funny. Try and fix what you've got doing the quick cheap easy fixes first.
Some guys in Arizona log on here and want to theorize or argue.
Don't be like them. Just fix your car-it's easy if you take it step by step.
Then, when the next guy runs into the problem, give him a hand.
Here's the carburetor repair manual again:
http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r211 ... ?start=all
It's the 85 year model, so it might be just up your alley.
Hot, hot hot is the weather for the next few months in Arizona, so get that car dialed in right NOW!
You have a lot of support from the membership if you want to make your car right.
That manual listing isn't originally mine, but I did organize it and label each page so you can find what you're looking for more easily.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:39 pm 

Update:
"Carparts" in Chicago has 10 MCS for sale:
$206.99 each with free shipping.
If you plan on rebuilding your carb this season, remember to change your MCS.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:58 pm 

A member posted a video which shows one classic case of 'Bad MCS'.
It deserves a second look:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So8urhim0P0&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:35 pm 

Just a heads up for those of you meaning to stockpile some mixture control solenoids:

There are two new MCS's available for $189.58 shipped (not mine) if you search on line.
Unfortunately, they don't seem to be exact replacements for our units.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:11 am 

Are you still selling MCSs?, New or rebuilt? might buy a couple for spares, need cores?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:45 am 

economizer wrote:
Are you still selling MCSs?, New or rebuilt? might buy a couple for spares, need cores?

Without boring you with too much detail...
Most people were hesitant to provide rebuildable cores, complained about the price, purchased solenoids elsewhere then requested installation instructions (basically showed little appreciation and no respect).
The few who are serious about their MK1 vehicles, I've been serious about helping, and will continue to do so.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:06 pm 

Don't think I understood your post...... Most people that own Sprints are on a low budget; a carburetor part that costs 10 to 25% of what their entire car is worth can understandably be a problem. I am serious about maintaining my Sprint motor, for the next 20+ years or until I die, Whichever comes first. I would not mind sending you a core MCS if I had one......The only one I do have, was working fine, when I pulled the motor for the swap a couple months ago, but once I get it into the new car and running, I don't want to find out I can't get replacement MCSs, When Mine quits; hence my question to you; do you have any?
Local auto parts stores don't have them, or even know what an MCS is. Carb rebuild shops apparantly don't have them either....I don't know how they can rebuild carbs without them. Today I received a "Walker" rebuild kit, that I found on Ebay for 30$, and there is nothing in it, that looks like an MCS. I am looking for and buying all the critical spares that I might need in the future: extra Motor, 3.52 FD trans, ECM, Hitachi carb, gasket sets, etc. I am planning for the long term. I am not far from you, (Costa Mesa), so could come out for a visit if you like .....bring my 190 HP VTEC Mini if you would be interested in seeing it. Picture is from the "Mini Meet West" gathering at Tahoe this June. drove it up and back, 1250 miles, slept in it for 4 days, and got top time of the Autocross event (with someone better driving)....also averaged 37 MPG for the trip.
Regards, Steve

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:28 pm 

I am curious myself as to the best way to get a mixture control solenoid. I have an 86 Samurai that takes Solenoid # GV113-21A6312. So far I have found this source: http://www.carbkits.com/catalog/pr/s/ Anyone familiar with them or used them before?

Also, I hear these are rebuildable? How do you rebuild it because no one has a writeup for it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:13 pm 

Hi, The little plastic thing, which way does it mount. vacuum air into what direction

. with air going to the carb, or air going away from carb

1985 Chevy Sprint Mk1 G10 5 Speed Sky Blue