TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:20 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:02 pm 

Guys, in This Thread I've acquired some OEM MK2/3 Swift GT(i) Fender Flares that the_names_James is currently working on shipping over from the motherland.

The plan is to make a set of molds for the flares and distribute them to the masses. This requires a mold of each peice be made, then a fiberglass, carbon fiber, or plastic part (yes, I am planning on making a plastic version of the peices that will be of a similar material as the originals just for those of you who dont like Fiberglass) be manufactured from the molds.

The final cost of the flares is unknown right now, as we aren't 100% sure what shipping is going to be yet, and until I get them in my hands I dont know what the surface area of the parts is going to be so I can estimate mold materials cost.

What I'm wanting to know right now is who would be interested in pre-paying for a set at a discount price in order for me to raise capital to pay for the mold materials?

The first runs will be out of fiberglass only, but I'm planning on them being in white gel-coat or, if you can get me the color-code of your vehicle, I am willing to prep and paint the flares for this Group Buy for cost of paint supplies +10%.

The cost of paint supplies will depend on the color of your car, and I can get you pointed in the right direction to getting me the color code for your car so we can figure up what the cost is going to be. You can get the color for your car by taking it to any O'Reilly's that sells Doupont paint and have them scan your car. From that scan, I can get the cost of the color of your car.

Anyways... looking for a few people who are interested in helping with the cost of the molds in exchange for a discounted set of flares and possibly nearly-free labor on paint for the flares.

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:12 pm 

You know I'm up for a set. Just let me know when and how much.

If you need some financial assistance on getting the molds made or for materials let me know and I will see what I can come up with.

DJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:51 pm 

I would be up for a set of fiberglass ones. Need to know cost details. Plus time it will take.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:24 pm 

Do you have a pic of a car with these installed? Might help you sell more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:37 pm 

Those are the pics from the_names_James' ad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:56 pm 

count me in for a set , just let me know when there finished and how much ,

Thanx Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:33 pm 

I might be in depending on cost of hte platic ones.

"Life's a rally, cut corners"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:16 pm 

I'd be up for a set but it really depends on cost, i'm not completely sure that i'm keeping my mk2 and dont want to put out a bunch for a part that I cant use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:54 pm 

"if the price is right, I'll be doowwwwnnn"

Steve

Turbo lag? huh? nah! just traction lag :censor: :furious:

psssshh! don't tell anyone :ez_evil:

BTW GTi = Great Tiny Import :P

Image, Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:52 pm 
Suzuki Elder

you know i'm in for a set. just let me know what the deal is and i'll help out in any way i can to get this group buy rolling.

beyond that phil, you have no idea how much i value your initiative in this endeavor. so many people talk the talk and so few actually come across with the goods.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:29 pm 

I'm down for a set. 8) (maybe even 2)

I really hope they won't be that much as the ones at http://www.stylingstuff.nl.

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:01 am 

Depending on price most likely at least one set..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:10 pm 

I got money in hand if you want pm me and we can work out a starter price for the initial set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:19 am 
'zuki addict

I'm expressing my interest in the flares, will paypal be available for internationl buyers? makes things so much easier if it is.

http://www.bdmotorsports.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:44 pm 

I'm interseted

see them at http://www.fquick.com/Wolf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:14 pm 
El Pimpo del Geo

id be in for some glass oned dependin on cost but for under $150 for sure!!!!!

rip my poor baby :( sept 1994-apr 2008
91 sidekick, 4x4 2" lift 30" swampers, winch,
to come ..... performance bits.... body lift, custom bumpers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:59 pm 

Flares are on their way... should have them here in about a week. Just a heads up.

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:47 am 
Sad but True...

I would REALLY be interested in the plastic flares.Any idea on price?

If my Swift was as fast as Tg or m's car I'd be famous...
My car is a trailer queen 'cause it's too slow to merge safely into traffic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:23 am 

i would be in for a set too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:59 am 

As soon as the peices arrive, I"ll get some square inch measurements so I can figure up a rough estimate on costs of supplies for the molds and for the finished parts. I'll have the price then.

Phil

Post subject: hmmmm
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:48 am 

I would be up for a set depending on price. Did you ask any questions about the back bumper lip? Was there anything added onto the front bumper too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:37 am 

Id be interested in a set, curious about pricing though.
Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:29 am 

The flares came in today and I've been on the phone with the mold company most of the morning getting the estimates on the mold and first production run costs. Here's what we've got;

It will actually be easier and faster to make the parts out of urethane plastic. It will have approximately the same strength and flexing characteristics of the original peice, and it will be MUCH more difficult to break than fiberglass(the sample that they sent me can handle EXTREME amounts of bending/twisting without losing form or cracking). However it WONT be cheaper. Making the parts out of urethane costs about 10%-20% more than making them out of fiberglass. However, the urethane doesn't have the same problems that fiberglass would with deterioration over time, nor would it have any problems with shrinkage after demolding or deformation during a post-cure.

I would PREFER to make the copied peices out of urethane, as, according to the spec sheets, after the molds are prepared, a new part can be manufactured approximately every 18 to 20 MINUTES (not hours.. as with the fiberglass peices).

However, I need to know which you would prefer; Fiberglass or Urethane. The fiberglass is going to cost a bit less (we're talking $10 to $30 per set), but take longer to produce once the molds are setup. The urethane will cost more, but.. in MY opinion, produces a better performing part that is easier to use. The molds for each are different, and I cannot afford to make one set of molds for a set of urethane and a set for fiberglass at this time (I may be able to down the road). I am going to make the first set of molds for the urethane flares, as those are the ones that seem like they would be the easiest to produce, and they will make a better part. If you want a set of fiberglass flares, and I have enough interest in them, I may produce another set of molds down the road, but I cannot guarantee it.

The cost of the set of four URETHANE flares looks like it is going to be in the $130 to $160 range after everything is said and done. I know allot of you said you would NOT be intersted if it was over $150... so I'm doing what I can to keep it under that amount. I do not know what the FINAL price is going to be yet, but I am going to take 10 orders at $145 as the initial 'test group' to cover the costs of the molds, and the initial material costs. I will adjust the price after this 'test run' of 10 to what the final price will be. IT MAY be cheaper than $145US, but with what I've estimated the cost of materials for just the flares (not including the purchase of the originals, the cost of materials for the molds, or the time I'm going to have in this).. it's most likely going to be a bit higher.

I am accepting the first 10 orders via PayPal to grashopr@mchsi.com. I need the following information on the PayPal deposit:

Your Full Name
Your Screen Name on TeamSwift
The Shipping Address you want the flares sent to
A phone number where you can either be reached, or receive messages.
Your Email Address

I have already ordered the materials to build molds for two of the flares. I plan on starting on those two flares within 2 weeks. It will take approxiamtely 4 days to get the molds done (either for fiberglass or urethane), assuming there aren't any problems, then, after I get two 100% good reproductions done, I will produce the 10 prepaid sets, hopefully all in one or two days. Adding all of that up, and it's looking like the flares will be SHIPPABLE by about mid-May, giving up some time for family stuff and unforseen-but-for-sure-to-happen development problems.

After the flares are done, I will figure shipping to the address that is supplied and we'll get squared away on money at that time before the flares are shipped.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post them here, Email me at grashopr@mchsi.com or call me at 785 817 1190.

Phil

Last edited by Grashopr on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:07 pm 

I'm in for a set! Phil when do you want the money?? I would assume, as soon as possible.