TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:06 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:51 pm 

Anyone ever driven an Subaru WRX Sti? They have the all-time best sequential LED shift lights mounted in the driver's periphery, just above the guage cluster. The first 3 LED's light up sequentially as you approach redline, then all blink simultaneously at the shift-up point. Much less distracting and accurate than the old "flashlight" style bazooka shift lights mounted to those huge old-school tachometers. I want one, for my swift, so I do not have to look down at anything at all during a sprint race....and I found one! Anyone else interested?

The website is here: http://www.aceserve.co.uk/new04/

Features of this UK product are: 6 total programmable set RPM point alerts, plus one low RPM warning light (to help keep you in your powerband, or you can use it to maintain a pit lane speed, monitor gas mileage, or just turn it off.

We would be looking at the basic model, the SB. Included is a controller module to be mounted under your dash, the shift lights in the shaded black housing, and all the wiring etc. needed. Plus detailed instructions. These units are expensive though, but extremely accuarte and useful for aggresive driving, especially in environments where you cannot afford to take your eyes off the road for even a second.

Price would be about $385 Canadian. we would need to sell about 10 units to get that price. I doubt there will be that much interest from this board, so I may haunt a few others...

(it would be nice to keep it within Team-Swift, because we could porder custom graphics for the fronts of the displays)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:44 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Jeff, you can build a megasquirt, and built the feature in for pennies...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:16 pm 

385! oh my god! are you nuts? I read the post all the way to that point thinking it was a cool idea. I figured out in my head before i got ther...could be like 60-100 dollars, but 385? thats insane. honestly, i'd feel uncomfortable spending over 80 on something like this. IMO, doing a megasquirt and rigging your own would be the best option. and hell, it wouldnt cost a hole lot more and you'd get a stand alone computer to run the fuel and ignition...hmm...sorry to bash your find but...

"Life's a rally, cut corners"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:00 pm 

Don't worry about bashing this post...this was just an initial survey of interest. The price is high, I agree....and I am already using another engine management system, and don't want to scrap it all just for some shift lights!

I really doubt that there will be any interest from this board, so If a MODERATOR wants to delet this, go ahead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:05 am 
MuE Patient Zero/The Link Man

hey jeff,

while you were gone, i enrolled at NAIT to be an electronics Engineer Tech

if you really want something like this, lemme know.

but yeah, you should know thats way too high man... maybe not for BMW folk, but defiently for Swift folk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:24 am 
King of Pompous

Mustard wrote:
i enrolled at NAIT to be an electronics Engineer Tech

I didn't realize you had to go to those extremes to figure out the electrical troubles your car gave you :lol: :lol: :lol:

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:52 am 

Good to hear Erik!

I want you to build me all soprts of stuff!

I am certain that the shift lights could be made very simply, but once you add in the programmability feature, then it gets tough. The tach signal coming out of my coil is a simple square wave...all you need is counter circuit, and a little controller eprom. SHOULD be easy...any one else out there, with electrical engineering knowledge feel like an interesting electronics project?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:03 am 
Sad but True...

I like the LED shift light,(Vs the honking "flashlight")and a neat idea that a possible special design for us,But the price is kinda high for right now :(

If my Swift was as fast as Tg or m's car I'd be famous...
My car is a trailer queen 'cause it's too slow to merge safely into traffic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:12 pm 

http://www.sw-performance.com/products/ ... d=Featured

This is something a bit cheaper, though lacks a few of the options of the Aces brand. Canadian Tire sells them for about $120 (I believe). I was tempted to get one, since they work for 3 cylinders as well, but no money.