TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:28 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:09 pm 

Well since the TeamSwift store seems dead in the water, and three times as rusty as most cars in the rust belt. I can't find a block guard anywhere else for sale, atleast on this side of the continent.

I have contacted a local company that will design and get them made. The issue is, for a one off part, I'd be looking at some high costs, he estimated about $300 for one, if I get more than one, well the price drops considerably, since the design cost is spread out, and the material/labour costs are also spread.

So I am wondering about what everyone thinks about a block guard/girdle? I assume with enough people the cost should be around $150-$200 CAD.

Picture of what I am talking about:

image_id: 15677

It will be machined out of aluminum.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:37 pm 

how about a 3cyl application?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:43 pm 

shcmikel wrote:
how about a 3cyl application?

I can see about one, if there are enough people to warrant a run of them.

1995Firefly4dr wrote:
what does a block guard do ?

It stops the tops of the cylinders from moving, the G13 engine, doesn't have a closed off top of the cylinders water jacket, this leads to the cylinders being able to move around. Most common problem this creates is a blown head gasket, with a block guard/girdle you lock the cylinders at the top in place, just like they are locked in place at the bottom.

The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:43 pm 
King of Pompous

Google it and find out. This isn't a tech thread its a GB thread.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:21 pm 

1995Firefly4dr wrote:
What's good about having an engine that is locked and can't move ?

Just in case... someone out there doesn't google it, and doesn't understand it...

It's to prevent the cylinders from moving in a lateral fashion... You want _||_ but because it's not anchored you get what you do not want happening: _//_ or _\\_ because the bottom of the cylinders is attached to the rest of the block, but the top of them isnt. So you go from: _||_ to: =||= (ascii can only do so much).

That's what this is there to do, it adds to the stability of the engine, stops it from twisting on itself, eating head gaskets, and other various things that greatly shorten the amount of time that goes inbetween rebuilds. :lol:

Last edited by gamefoo21 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:06 am 

1995Firefly4dr wrote:
ive never heard of anyone's engine requiring a block guard... how come most people don't use these if they're so great

http://www.letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=block+guard

Seems they are all sorts of popular for Hondas...

Anyways...

They aren't common because they cost a decent coin, they aren't simple made in china pieces, they have to be machined out of aluminum on a CNC and be precise because they get pressed in... Basically they have to be made to order.

:lol: Seems Honda guys have lots of problems with their cylinders cracking... :shock:

Last edited by gamefoo21 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:26 am 

1995Firefly4dr wrote:
scanning from the first 10 results, the honda guys like this block guard and i'm reading lots of disadvantages and problems with using one of these.

I've never heard of our engines cracking the jugs though, Honda's are so much more reliable. Also many of those complaints are because of how thin walled the Honda engines are, requiring bracing in the middle as well, and about how some block guards would block off cooling, did some more reading and first gen ones had no or not enough holes to allow coolant through.

Basically this is just to add back the closed deck like in the G16 series of engine. Which is a very reliable engine, and seems to resist blowing out head gaskets like the G10/G13.

Well, since you seem to be in a argumentative mood for some reason, I'm not sure why, but here:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=8R8xBgK ... &ct=result

Read that, it tells you the pro's and the con's, and why your average Honduh Ricetard manages to screw it up.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:13 am 

You were already asked to google the damn thing, so learn something about it, do some research or start a seperate thread with your questions. He already explained it.

You probably wouldn't notice a difference in n/a condition unless ur street or pro racing the thing. It's a performance mod like any other, unecessary for the common car.

If there is enough interest i'll be in for one for the 3cyl mk2 sprint/fly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:04 pm 

To get the price to around $175 to $200 Canadian, he says I need atleast 7-10 people to commit.

So comon peoples, commit! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:55 am 

i would like a 3 cyl. guard/gridle, and it is a must have for high revving engines! the quesion is is there a piston and rod set from a honda motor that would fit a g10 metro block?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:44 am 

Sorry guys, I'm still working on it. But due to some emergency repairs, and having to be laying under the car in the snow... I wasn't able to get half the stuff I wanted to get done while I was at home.

I will update, when I know more.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:03 am 

I'm not trying to flame anyone I'm just trying to get an idea of what everyone thinks is a fair price to pay.

ok so I see prices at $175 Canadian. What is an attractive price tag for everyone?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:44 am 

94GeoMetro wrote:
I'm not trying to flame anyone I'm just trying to get an idea of what everyone thinks is a fair price to pay.

ok so I see prices at $175 Canadian. What is an attractive price tag for everyone?

That's half the trouble, since I want to get it done right, I have to get it designed by a guy with all the software to lay it out for the guys with the mills. Material costs will be one thing, but design cost is a fixed variable, that is why the price is so volatile, it's one of those things, where the more people that buy the more it gets spread. Since when I take him the moulds, I have to pay for his time to punch it into the CAD/CAM.

More people, less price, but I need commitments, I have 2 or 3 people lined up for the 3cylinder, and no one for the 4. Which I think is kind of ironic, but eh, I can get both designs rung up, at the same time. I'm not too sure how the it'll work out, but I might be able to work out getting the 3's and 4's made at the same time to try and reduce costs as well.

Also as of today... $175 CAD = $137.28 USD and $200 CAD = $156.87 USD according to the great currency convertors online.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:19 am 

Gamefoo,
I already have all of the CAD/CAM done for 1.3 Block gaurds.(done about 3 years ago)
The problem that i ran into regarding the block gaurd, was that the water jacket area of the block is just cast, and not very consistantly round. If the block gaurd is just pressed in, it only contacts on the high spots, and may not be that great for keeping the cylinders really round.
My solution to this was to put the block on the CNC mill, and machine a slight bit off the top of the block inside to water jacket where the block gaurd is pushed in. With both parts done on the same mill, with the same drawing...it's a perfect fit, supporting the cylinders without pushing anything around.Let me know what you think, and i can get a quote together for the block gaurd .500" thick (or your choice of thicker) and the machining inside the block.

Darcy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:29 am 

I'm not worried about the time for a cad/cam guy to layout everything. I was just wondering what would be an attractive price tag to get more people interested in buying one.

OK I'll just lay it out for ya. I've been a machinist for 11 years and 9 years of that is running CNC equipment. I currently run 3 CNC machines on a daily basis, 2 of them are lathes one with live tooling, and the last machine is an EDM. I've been building a CNC mill for my shop, the design is done and I've started building it but I'm still looking at atleast 2-3 months out before it's done. The mill I'm building for myself is plenty big enough 2 make parts for our cars and thats well over half the reason I'm building it. Their are lots of things I want for my car but nobody makes them so screw it I'll make them myself.

At this time I'm NOT offering to make these block guards, I don't have time to step over to a mill at work and my machine isn't done yet. However this may change as soon as I get it done. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:31 am 

Darcy: You have a PM.

94GeoMetro: I'm jealous, when I was going to tech school, we got to tour the machinist program, I know a few guys who went through it, and a few who couldn't finish it. If when you get your CNC going, would you be willing to make 3 cyl block guards? What other items are you looking at making? I can think of a few things... :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:39 am 

lets just say a little cyl head work, Maybe a little block work, and maybe some intake work. LOL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:47 am 

94GeoMetro wrote:
lets just say a little cyl head work, Maybe a little block work, and maybe some intake work. LOL

Aluminum suspension bushings? :buzz:

Just tossing an idea out there... :lol: