TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:36 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:18 pm 

I have someone willing to make adapter plates for the 1.3 dohc or 1.6 block to a hyundai trans. If there is enough people who want one he will make them. If we can get 5 i think he will do it. Will get a price if enough want one. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:34 pm 

i may want one... for a 1.3 dohc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:52 pm 
banned and still posting

Which Hyundai trans? Accent or Elantra?

The reason I ask, Elantra's use pull type mitsu clutches (read worst design EVER for a high revving 4cyl). Accent uses the standard push type but is weak.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:57 pm 

accent

i've heard the accent trannies are quite strong.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:59 pm 

Ive herd the same. look on the tracktalk section and we talked about it on there. The one i have is a 98 accent. All the actual hyundai trannies are the same bolt patterns. The earlier hyundais used mitsu motors and that might be what you are refering too. I have herd from multiple peolpe that in pr and columbia they have been using them in theyre 400hp swifts for years. Im tired of the swift trans. im on #8 right now. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:45 pm 

I would be interested as well, remeber the plate is the first and cheapest cost
But have questions to do with the hyundai trans its self.

The REAL QUESTION IS WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER concerns - half shafts/ cv's, size, threads - starter location mounting points

What is known about these? or is it a given that they must be changed custom?
obvisously it must be some what simalar to the swift tranys - but I have never seem one

thanks

2010 Equator White
2000 Solara convert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:31 pm 

They are completely different trans. ones made out of glass and the other isnt :mrgreen: . Axles will need to be made. Look at the thread in track talk he says which axles and they fit our hub but have to be shortened. Starter im not sure on. We are building onto my block for mine on my 1.6 but if there is enough who would want one i will have him start looking into it afterwards. This is the only things holding my car back from being back on the road. I will be putting 250whp down when it comes back out and we will see how well the tranny will hold. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:21 am 

You guys do realize that the G13B/G13K block is identical in terms of bell housing mount to the all of the G10's and G13's from 89 to 2001 for north america.

Just for anyone who doesn't have a DOHC and was thinking this would be cool.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:22 am 

My car has been APART for 2 years now up on stands, engine is prepped for assembly, the transmission has been OK but I have broken two before. The new engine should be close to HP 225-250 FWHP and yes the stock unit is almost the same.

I have added afew things to it but ...... -

The car is in very good condition, body shell wise so I would like to address this - at a reasonible cost

2010 Equator White
2000 Solara convert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:54 am 
banned and still posting

crnolic wrote:
accent

If that were true I would not have needed to replace a grenaded diff on our anemic 1.5 SOHC car. The gears are strong, the diffs are glass. They can barely handle the 92hp 1.5, the 105hp 1.6's aren't holding up that well either.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:47 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=44708

Take a look here and will answer some questions its been done succesfully with hard and custom for this buddy in Buffalo NY he would explain u better he's a good guy.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:57 pm 

Bobzilla wrote:
crnolic wrote:
accent

If that were true I would not have needed to replace a grenaded diff on our anemic 1.5 SOHC car. The gears are strong, the diffs are glass. They can barely handle the 92hp 1.5, the 105hp 1.6's aren't holding up that well either.

They also chew through clutches like they are candy.

The standard Suzuki boxes can be built up to be much much stronger, but it does cost a bit and involves decent amounts of work.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:42 pm 
banned and still posting

Elantra trans eat clutches. 118k miles and I installed my 4th clutch. I've been driving manual trans vehicles since 1991 and have NEVER had to install a clutch. The accent is sitting at 120k on it's original clutch in this unit (replaced whole assembly engine, trans as a unit) at 121k on the car. it had 60 k on it when we made the swap.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:13 pm 

I see no reason why a the trans would eat up the clutch unless it was adjusted wrong or just simply the driver. The swift trans arent even worth dealing with in my opinion unless you swap all of the guts and i mean all of them and then once you have them handling the power the casing would flex and you would have to do something with it. I know im not willing to spend 4-6 grand on a trans to hold 250-400whp. I have broken 8 swift trans and only 2 of them involved the pin comming out and i havent even done any hard launches since #2 broke. I have the pin bolted in and hasnt bailed yet but everything else broke around it. I have been doing roll races to hopefully not break them but it hasnt helped. I only showed 157whp and 152tq on the dyno. So im going this route and if the diff is weak a lsd will cost the same or less then a swift one and that should solve the problem. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:28 pm 
banned and still posting

You've never seen a mitsu style pull clutch have you? The sheer physics of which is retarded for a high revving 4cyl. Instead of pushing the TOB onto the fingers of the clutch to push the PP off the disc, it has the TOB snapped into the fingerrs of the PP. When you push the clutch pedal the slave pulls the TOB backwards and releaves the pressure off the disc. In theory, it works well. In practice, once you push the engine revs skyward, the centrifical force on the TOB and PP fingers pulls backward lsoing pressure on the disc, which causes the clutch to slip, and then glaze over. Once it's glazed, it's done. 3 clutches glazed because I pushed the car too much.

The Accent diffs are glass. Trust me. The gear sets are strong, it's just getting it to the ground is the bigger problem. I've seen too many grenaded Diffs on accents that were run hard, and even a few that weren't. I think I would spend the money on a different trans personally....and I'm a tried and true Hyundai Humper. Finding Hyundai parts, especially LSD's for a forgotten car is next to impossible.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:11 pm 

You must be talking about an older model because yes this one had a slave cylinder but as for the tob its the same. And if for some reason it was the hyundai pressure plate that is weak you wouldnt be using it for this set up anyway. I guess ill find out about the diff but ive heard nothing but good things about these trans. Either way it would have a lot better of a chance then a swift one and its also not in the 2800lb car it will be a 1800lb car so it wont be under as much stress. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:30 am 
banned and still posting

Elantra trans have been used since 1998 until the current 2009. Not exactly "older". The accents were only between 2100lb (2 dr hatch)and 2400lb(loaded 4dr auto) cars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:05 pm 

I dont know about being that light. Im talking about the beta trans and those are the stronger ones acording to all of the hyundai guys on the hyundai forum. The only thing they complain about is from power shifting they eat the syncros up. If your really from india that might explain why because usually they are a different version car you guys get. Like the festiva that was over there still being produced for years after we stopped getting them. I have heard nothing but good things from these beta trans. The alpha ones werent as strong and had some problems which were the older ones. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:12 am 

That's it Bob.
It's because you're from India.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:56 pm 

I'd be happy to be added to the list for an adapter plate as well. The Hyundai trans is not my plan for my car, but it never hurts to have a plan "B" and a plan "C".
For those that are considering this mod, let me know what your plans are as far as what body style and hubs you plan to use, as well as your time frame, and i'll see if it might work out for me to make a bunch of axle shafts to make this happen easier for everyone.
For those curious, i'll take an existing shaft, shorten it, and respline it to fit the hub/cv that you plan to run on the outside

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:20 pm 

I never said it was i said it could be because all of us dont get the same models around the world and some places still get older versions then here and some get newer .On the beta trans like i have i dont see what he is talking about. Im not using the slave cylinder im converting it to machanical. Mine has the same type set up as our trans other then the slave cylinder where the tob is on the arm and not the clutch. That will help with the axles which the guy in ny that did it said a tiburon axle on one side and a eclipse on the other and they used the same spline as our hubs but had to be shortened. It would be nice to get a good alternative to our weak trans. Ill try talking to him in about a week or so to see if he can make a plate for it. He is doing my 1.6 one which is a different set up because of the combiation im using so it will have to all be looked at. Im using a 1.6 sidekick flywheel from a 4wd that lost 10lbs and now is 14lb with a k24 honda pressure plate so we will have to look at it all and consider everything. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:38 pm 

A little different note here,pull type clutch set-ups are normal on big trucks with low revving diesel engines,multiple disks w/ceramic or copper or sintered iron "buttons" for clutch disk facings,some with special inlayed contact areas on flywheels....$$$$ if a driver abuses these set-ups,not that much different than some of our set-ups,just that ours are lighter,thank god!dont need a 2 ton crane to change tranny,just some elbow grease and a small jack.... :-P

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:02 pm 

Im not sure what years he is saying has it but the beta trans dont have that style. Ill see what he has to say about making adapter plates but i will try to have him utilize all our stock parts if possible other then the axles. Let me know if anyone else is interested. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:39 am 

Hey sorry i wasnt reading all the way have had alot to do lately and was just making quick post. Sorry bobzilla i thought it said you were from india for some reason from quick look. My bad im an idiot. Ill check more into the pull cutch thing to make sure on it. I had a friend explain to me what it was and show me one he had laying around so ill check more into it. I know they guys ive been talking to arent complaining of any clutch problem and i did ask them about it. The clutch set up i plan on using is a honda d16 clutch disc which is the same as the hyundai clutch dic and i think sidekick disc. If i remember correctly they were 212mm which were a hair bigger then the 1.3 clutch disc. And im using a honda act k24 pressure plate(was free from a friend) so ill see what happens. Sorry for the misunderstanding and will look into more and if so ill see what it takes to convert it over. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:30 am 
banned and still posting

Alpha trans (out of all accents) have the "normal" push type. It would not be hard to use them with a hondar clutch. Beta's (1.8 and 2.0L) from the Elantra/Tibs use the pull type.