TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:29 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:14 pm 

It will be a while. If that shop you are talking about ca ntruly build you one for a good deal I'd take it. If your waiting due to price you can be sure ours will be cheaper. The main purpose is so I can have a hood for myself. The added deal for you guys is then that I will have the mold for it and build them for cheap.( Well cheaper than most places we hope.)

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:02 am 

how long are you talking? they can give me good price but i have to have enough people that want one to be willing to front the guy the money. if you will have one maybe by summer i will hold off if not i will go ahead with my contact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:33 am 

They should be done for summer. I'm just in the process of looking for a stock hood I can carve up to make the first piece. If theres anyone in BC with one for sale no matter what shape, let me know. I cant justify ripping mine off now in the middle of winter. I need them to be dne for the summer cause thats when my car will get painted and I want to be running all my companies gear. A body kit is in the plans as well but I have a lot on my plate right now with the other side of the business which is high end home audio. The kit wont be done till next fall at best I'm thinking. The hood hopefully this by this summer. Whats the price by the way through your contact just so I can make sure they are cheaper.

Cheers,
Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:33 am 

I want one .. If the price is decent .. I really want one .. lol :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:56 pm 

how about the price?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:08 pm 

ok it depends on how much. if i get like 10 people that want one the guy told me about $500 dollers us. then plus shipping or sense i am a nice guy people in the surrounding states i will personnally deliver the hoods for a meer tank of gas and maybe some lunch. i will hold out if you can have them done by summer i have hood you can have has a couple of little dents in it a little spot of rust, but i do body work and can smooth it out. contact me by pm a we can talk further.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:15 am 

hey wen one of them is finished and there is a picture posted of it i would be more than happy to buy one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:23 am 

is this dead? :huh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:41 pm 

not dead but put on hold for a couple of months to give bigbear a chance to get his hoods done. if he decides he doesn't want to do it or get it done by sumer then my supplier will start up the project again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:52 pm 

I'd be interested but it would have to be smooth and even on the surface so that painting could be done with a minimum of filling. I want the weight reduction while retaining the stock look.

Would CF gas tanks be possible? Is the stock gas tank heavy to begin with? If so, that would be another avenue for shedding weight, providing that gasoline doesn't react with the binding agents in the CF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:15 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

CF gas tank is a really neat concept. I don't anyone's ever suggested it before. I think gasoline is one of the few substance that actually does react with epoxy, although I think there is a fuel tank sealer you can buy to prevent that.
I'd probably be a little more comfortable with an aluminum one. It wouldn't have any chemical incompatiblities with fuel, isn't made of a combustible material (I imagine that that carbon will eventual burn?) and it's electrically conductive (it remains in contact with the vehicle's electrical ground and doesn't end picking up a voltage potential that might result in a spark). I guess the tank could also be dropped entirely and just have a fuel cell fitted in the back (safer too)

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:10 am 

CF gas tanks are available for motorcycles so maybe the CF doesn't burn or can be treated not to burn. Who cares anyway - if my Swift is burnin' then I might as well be too!

The advantage of CF over aluminum is that it is easier to fabricate. Ive even heard of people with no previous framebuilding experience making their own carbon bicyle framesets. It's alot easier to learn and more forgiving to work with than metal apparently.

I want to eventually get my Swift down to 700kg but still look stock inside and out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:26 am 
King of Pompous

The easiest way to lighten your gas tank is to run the car at 1/4 full all the time :D

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:31 am 
number one!

m wrote:
The easiest way to lighten your gas tank is to run the car at 1/4 full all the time :D

With the price of gas lately, that isn't an issue.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:22 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

Bosco wrote:
The advantage of CF over aluminum is that it is easier to fabricate. Ive even heard of people with no previous framebuilding experience making their own carbon bicyle framesets. It's alot easier to learn and more forgiving to work with than metal apparently.

was i telling you about that ? i built a cf mountain bike frame back in '92-'93, it was pretty cool, but not up to par w/ my quad butted rocky mtn. chomoly frame ..
the big thing with constructing items out of carbon fiber is that you need to cure it under pressure & heat ! .. unlike fiberglass that can just be hand laid up & let you cure .. you need an oven big enough to cure it evenly & properly while you also need a vaccuum bagging or pressure molding system running @ the same time .. pre-preg is probably the coolest easiest stuff to work with, but it's still more work then welding up aluminum ..
also, if you check the recall notices for many of those bikes w/ carbon fiber tanks .. you'll see that they have a real problem with the gas vapours working their way through the tank & eating up the paint & stuff ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:05 am 

Oh ..

I didn't know u bilt a carbon frame. I read about it somewhere being easier for the newcomer than learning how to join metal tubes.

As you can tell, I know nothing about fabricating these sorts of things. I just want my car to be as light as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:04 am 
number one!

I've been lurking on here for some time, gathering notes and forming a gameplan for next winters project already. Lots of good stuff to be found, fiberglass, carbon fiber, etc. http://www.fibreglast.com/

~ Chris

Post subject: carbon fiber hoods
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:22 pm 

I'd love to have one, better make that two

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:41 pm 

I'm very interested in buying a carbon-fiber hood. Do these guys have a website I could take a look at? Just PM when you guys decide to order them and I will order one! But....would they fit my '96 Metro Hatch? :?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:47 am 

Is the group buy still happening?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:06 am 
King of Pompous

Check the dates of the threads before posting. The other one is over a year old...this one is 9 months old.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:43 am 
King of Pompous

Man you guys just don't get it do you.....

manhoolee2000 wrote:
hy there email me at manhoolee2000@aol.com
i will definetly want one will it be posted into uk and also prices thaanks 8)

And posted just above that...

m wrote:
Check the dates of the threads before posting. The other one is over a year old...this one is 9 months old....

THIS POST IS OVER 9 MONTHS OLD. IT'S NOT HAPPENING

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:06 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

:locked:

maybe a picture Thanks

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2