TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:09 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:30 pm 

I picked up a new profile for the 89-up 3cyl., as well as for the GTi.
The numbers are 220 duration at.050"/.365" lift
It will fall in between my wildest 226/.375", and the 218/.350"
It is a very aggressive profile with a steep ramp, and idles quite well, despite the longer duration number. In the 93 Metro, it idled a little rough, but rock steady at 900RPM. The 226/375 won't idle below 1000RPM in the 3cyl., and even then its a little iffy.

Lift ________Dur at .050"
.340"_______210
.350"_______218
.365"_______220*
.375"_______226*

* Extra machining required (3cyl. only).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:51 am 

I've been selling a fuel efficiency/MPG cam fore awhile. Since B'villetom has a few Metro daily drivers, and alot of experience with the 3cyl. motor, I asked him to test one of these cams for me. The fact that he is a cheapass, and loves his gas mileage, makes him an even better tester, as far as I am concerned.
Tom bought a 96 Metro with a bad motor, and wanted to use this as his daily driver. After completion, he was complaining that it was not only a bit of a dog, but also not as good on gas as the earlier cars. While it was a nice driving car, it just wasn't the same. I thought it was the perfect oppurtunity to get some testing done, and see if we could get the gas mileage up a bit.
Tom posted something up on the turbo haven, and since he doesn't care much for typing, asked me to move it here for him.

Quote:

I'm not building race motors right now so I have taken on a new project. As a little background, I have been driving 3 cylinder Metros for 3 to 4 years now. A 1991 and 1994 Mark II 5 speed, 2 door as a daily driver as well as for long trips. They are lightweight, nimble & fun to drive. In about 35,000 miles, the gas mileage has been between 44 MPG to 52 MPG consistently.

I bought a 1996 Metro 2 door 5-speed with a dead motor. I rebuilt the motor without modification and it is my driver now. It drives much better, doesn't sway as much and more quiet than the older cars but won't get gas mileage worth a hoot! It is an OBD II car which bothered me, but thats not the problem. I have run 18 tanks of fuel through it and its average MPG is 38.56, a long way from the Mark II 3 cylinder cars. I finally figured out why, it is 300 lb. heavier, approximately 2" wider and approximately 2" taller and is over geared. It looks so good; swoopy and clean but the same 3 cylinder is working its tail off.

I'm doing some R&D for Suprfly (Mike) on a new mileage cam. I did a hot compression test on the engine before I put the test cam in:
#1 - 182, #2 - 178 and #3- 180 lbs.
I did the same test after the new cam was installed: The hot compression test was:
#1 - 195, #2 - 185 and #3 - 190 lbs.
The compression increase is probably because of shorter duration which should help the low and mid-range power.

I was correct, my low and mid range throttle response and smoothness of the motor after the new cam was installed was greatly improved as well as drivability. I can do second gear roll outs from stop signs now and couldn't before. I would expect the top end power to be down but I'm still on the first tank of gas. I will provide more information on MPG figures later.

B'ville Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:39 pm 

What does the cam cost for a 1.3i, 4 cillinder 16v SOHC? (from an old Baleno here in Holland)

Grtz Ramon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:01 pm 

Dutch Swifty wrote:
What does the cam cost for a 1.3i, 4 cillinder 16v SOHC? (from an old Baleno here in Holland)

Grtz Ramon

USD$250 + core, which is $35-$50, depending on availability, and assuming that it is the distributor ignition motor.
I have a few excellent profiles for that application, and I am working on a few more right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:21 pm 
Deadbeat
Deadbeat

he has the distributorless ignition just like mine..

intake/header/exhaust/cams/pulley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:23 pm 
Sparky

OK I just joined and have not read all this thread. :twisted: Turbo + 1.0 + 15lb's = needed cam, you got one listed? Yes or No, I will look for it then. :razz:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:30 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

you should mention which year your turbo 3cyl is. although i'm sure mike has the cam for you, he's building a wild mk1 turbo head for the project car right now.
http://www.teamswift.net/3tech/
i'd suggest getting the whole head done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:41 am 
Sparky

n1tr0 wrote:
you should mention which year your turbo 3cyl is. although i'm sure mike has the cam for you, he's building a wild mk1 turbo head for the project car right now.
http://www.teamswift.net/3tech/
i'd suggest getting the whole head done.

That would be difficult as I am yet to aquire the car :P I am searching right now and gathering info while I finish my current project. then I will go full guns into the Metro. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:50 am 

Kento87 wrote:
OK I just joined and have not read all this thread. :twisted: Turbo + 1.0 + 15lb's = needed cam, you got one listed? Yes or No, I will look for it then. :razz:

I have good profiles for both motors, but a better selection for the early style, 87-88 cars.

Post subject: 94 Swift Gt
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:32 pm 

Pm'd you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:44 am 

Just bought the 1.0L 3 Cyl 226 Deg cam for my 88 Sprint.

Install goes down today :)

-Steve

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:32 am 

Just here to thanx Mike(superfly) for his patiente trough this weeks over our business...It was great doing business with you...just wish everybody was like you, kind and patiente...

He showed understanding and responded fast and clear to all my dumb questions...everything went ok, so it´s aproved an recomended...

keep up the good work, guys like you make this board what it is... simply awesome...

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:11 am 

Quick question...

Cams with 215 dur @0.50 and .315 lift would be considered a mild street cam right? Or would they be considered street/race or what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:48 am 
banned

I should be ready to buy tomorrow but need to know pricing :) Thanks Mike

Post subject: Re: .
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:49 am 

GroundScraper wrote:
Just here to thanx Mike(superfly) for his patiente trough this weeks over our business...It was great doing business with you...just wish everybody was like you, kind and patiente...

He showed understanding and responded fast and clear to all my dumb questions...everything went ok, so it´s aproved an recomended...

keep up the good work, guys like you make this board what it is... simply awesome...

Regards

Thank you.
Kressimir has ordered cams from me on a few occassions. His latest shipment was held at customs because they wanted to charge tax/duty, but the declared value was, in their opinion, too low . They wanted to re-assess the value higher, so I faxed a letter/invoice to customs , and I assume he now has his cams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:54 am 

maxwolfie wrote:
Quick question...

Cams with 215 dur @0.50 and .315 lift would be considered a mild street cam right? Or would they be considered street/race or what?

No, not really. 315 lift is reasonable, but the 215 at .050" is too much in a GT on the street.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:34 pm 

Any update from the MPG cam testers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:14 am 

PizPump wrote:
Any update from the MPG cam testers?

I just spoke to B'villetom, my tester for this project, and in 5 tanks of fuel, the economy cam alone showed an improvement of 8%-9% in fuel mileage. The biggest benefit being in the way that it provided superior low end power, and better drivability to the heavier 97 car that it was installed in.
He is very happy with it, and said that even if the mileage was no better, the driveablity made it a worthwile installation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:02 pm 

what about steel rockers?? or any rockers tougher than standard?? ive broken plenty of the standard rockers. does anyone make better replacements?
Thanks
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:58 am 

Booka_430 wrote:
what about steel rockers?? or any rockers tougher than standard?? ive broken plenty of the standard rockers. does anyone make better replacements?
Thanks
David

Rockers for what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:08 pm 

sorry, i forgot to metion that. :oops: the engine im looking for replacement rockers for is a G13A SOHC 8valve. In an 85 barina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:18 pm 

How long does it take to make them?? or in my case how long does it take to do the whole GTi package? with head and cam??
thanks mike

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:01 pm 

SSGTi12345 wrote:
How long does it take to make them?? or in my case how long does it take to do the whole GTi package? with head and cam??
thanks mike

Alex

You are local, so the shipping can be taken out of the equation, if you don't mind meeting me somewhere. Cams, inside of a week. If you give them to me Monday, you should have them back Friday, or before. For the head, you will be looking at 2wks min, depending on how busy I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:20 pm 

The 210/340 grind is really nice, but a little rough on the idle. The 200/335 has a smooth idle, but doesn't pull to 8500 like the 21/340. It all depends on what max RPM you are looking for.
I'll PM you about the head.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next