TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:16 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:51 pm 

None of those things are neccesary, although the pistons would be nice. The stock motor is very much capable of handling that kind of RPM on a regular basis. Save your money, leave the crank and rods.
Overlap is not an issue. The only thing important is the max RPM you intend to run. Cam for that, regardless of turbo, or not.
Too much overlap = old wives tale.

Post subject: camshafts
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:25 pm 

suprf1y
I live in a very hilly area and my little 1.0L doesn't like them too much. I was debating on whether or not to swap to the gti motor or see if you could help me out with one of your reground camshafts. Gtis are hard to come by around here.

I decided to give one of your cams a shot. I know that it wont be anywhere near a gti swap but all I need is a bit more punch to get up the steep hills. Im not sure what cam profile would be best. Im not that concerned with fuel mileage since even if it drops 10mpg it still better than 90% of the cars on the road.

Also how are you going to add lift without adding any material to the top of the lobes. Isn't stock .332? And your regrinds are as much as .375".
Thanks
Josh

Post subject: cam regrinds
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:50 pm 

hey superfly i have a 93 swift 1.3 sohc 8 valver i'm new to this forum but have been reading and searching on here for awhile i'm interested in a cam with the max street grind i can i don't mind a rough idle i'm near london ontario could you give me a price + shipping thanks :lol:

Post subject: Re: camshafts
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:30 pm 

jzi wrote:
suprf1y
I live in a very hilly area and my little 1.0L doesn't like them too much. I was debating on whether or not to swap to the gti motor or see if you could help me out with one of your reground camshafts. Gtis are hard to come by around here.

I decided to give one of your cams a shot. I know that it wont be anywhere near a gti swap but all I need is a bit more punch to get up the steep hills. Im not sure what cam profile would be best. Im not that concerned with fuel mileage since even if it drops 10mpg it still better than 90% of the cars on the road.

Also how are you going to add lift without adding any material to the top of the lobes. Isn't stock .332? And your regrinds are as much as .375".
Thanks
Josh

Sorry, I mut have missed this.
The 220/350 cam would probably be best, along with a +10 timing advance sprocket. You should see no change in MPG, but increased power. To add lift, as well as duration, you have to change the shape of the whole lobe, and remove material mostly from the bottom, but from the sides and top.

Post subject: Re: cam regrinds
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:40 pm 

gsr-swift wrote:
hey superfly i have a 93 swift 1.3 sohc 8 valver i'm new to this forum but have been reading and searching on here for awhile i'm interested in a cam with the max street grind i can i don't mind a rough idle i'm near london ontario could you give me a price + shipping thanks :lol:

I have a few excellent profiles for the 8V motors. It all depends on the RPM's you are looking for.
I would recomend the 226/.395" cam. Its an excellent street/strip type grind. It is the same cam Kris and I have in out Mk1 turbo3's. I'll work out the price in $CDN, and PM you.
I'm near Brantford, so pickup may be possible.

Post subject: camshaft 1.0L 3
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:50 pm 

suprf1y,
Im not that concerned with gas mileage, would there be a cam that would provide even more power or can't the stock motor handel a much wilder cam? I will be ordering one very soon as soon as I get my paypal setup.
Looking forward to the install.
Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:10 pm 

It really depends on your current, and future mods. No sense putting in a cam that will make power to 8k, but not have the support from the intake/exhaust. With cams, its almost always better to be a little conservative.
It just depends on what you want to do.

Post subject: camshaft
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:46 pm 

Alright, I will take your suggestion of the 220/350 cam. No timing gear, mabe later on. I will post a reply as soon as my paypal acount is setup. Thanks.
Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:53 am 

Hello suprf1y
I am driving a suzuki Cultus 5 door hatch (G10 SOHC), i think this is what its known here in Pakistan. i am still unsure about the MK version.... anyways, i am posting the picture of the engine:D

I wanted to increase performace of my car, i thought of a G13B swap, but it would require too much fabrication, for which i have no energy, or the money:D to give to my mechanic.

I would like your advice, i can get exhausts and intakes, i am also interested in your cams. I would want one which gives good torque, but keeping economy in mind :oops: . I would like alot of instructions too, because i am not in touch with good expertise here (maybe there isnt any... who knows)

Enlighten Me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:04 pm 

You have the Mk2/3/4 G10 motor. It was built from 89-2001, over here. your situation is alot like most, so as I typically recomend, the 220/350 cam would probably be best, along with a +10 timing advance sprocket. You will see an increase in power, a bit more capability in the upper RPM's, and very close to stock fuel mileage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:21 pm 

spt-3x1.0 wrote:
Superf1y can you send a head package thats disassembled so as to allow it to be powder coated ?

No problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:03 pm 
banned

Hey Mike, I saw a CRAPLOAD of cam's still intact in very nice condition at the salvage yard today, if you need any SOHC geo cams tell me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:09 pm 

I'm in good shape for cores right now, but thanks for the heads up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:08 pm 

ok i have this post many times and have seen that suprf1y knows what he's doing, but i don't. what i do know is that i want cams for more power with an ok idle (u have to give to get).

so could u explain to me what the changes in the cams do, so that i can then figure out what changes i want you to make with my cams?

and what is the stock cam specs?

i have a 1994 gti jdm turbo making about 140whp daily driven with RZM cam gears +2 adv and 0 exh.

thanks Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:31 am 
Certified (nuts)

Hey suprf1y,

Looking for cams for a 96 mk3 gti.
I want an increase in power through the range with good top and bottom.
What would you recommend?
I dont want it to drink the juice either!
How much for the cams without core exchange?

Post subject: cam prices
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:07 pm 

Hey Mike,

How much for the .340/210 cams for my GT, shipped to Vancouver with core exchange?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:02 am 

Would I be correct in assuming that suprf1y's fuel economy cam, being optimized for lower RPM than the stock cam, will show the most improvement at lower speeds? Would there be any effect other than slightly reduced power at higher speeds (115 to 125 km/h)? Is the stock cam better for maximizing high speed fuel economy?

Post subject: Re: cam prices
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:21 pm 

zukerman wrote:
Hey Mike,

How much for the .340/210 cams for my GT, shipped to Vancouver with core exchange?

Core charge $100
Shipping $20
Grinding service $280
Prices in USD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:28 pm 

Titanium50 wrote:
Would I be correct in assuming that suprf1y's fuel economy cam, being optimized for lower RPM than the stock cam, will show the most improvement at lower speeds? Would there be any effect other than slightly reduced power at higher speeds (115 to 125 km/h)? Is the stock cam better for maximizing high speed fuel economy?

Those are all good questions.
I don't think the stock cam would be better than the fuel economy cam even at higher RPM's, as far as fuel economy is concerned. Would the stock cam make better power at those RPM's? I would think so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:53 am 

Mike with one of your cams can you make the stock motor get power to 9000 rpm, but pushing the stock internals that high is it safe? thanks

Alex

Post subject: internals
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:14 pm 

i've been revving my car to 8600 for some time now. If your gonna go with mike's 210/340 grind then be prepared to do the same because these cams are capable of making horsepower all the way up there. if you go with something milder then you won't have to rev it so high, vise versa if you go with anything wilder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:53 am 

OK doctor, can you make a recommendation for me?

I have a 89' Chevy Geo Metro 1.0L 5sp with stock exhaust and intake, a K&N replacement filter, platinum spark plugs, and stock 155/80R12 tires. This old soldier with over 400,000 miles on it still pumps 158psi on all three cylinders. I use synthetic engine/trans lubes, and it runs smooth, drives and accelerates adequately, and typically gets 38-48mpg.

My primary concern is still being able to pass the California SMOG test. The stock ignition timing of 5 degrees BTDC is verified during SMOG testing, so I must maintain that ignition setting.

After reading about your advanced cam sockets and economy cams, can you recommend a cam or cam/socket combination that will still meet California SMOG requirements, give me the same or better economy, and add a bit more power for the freeway ramps?

This is my daily driver, not a rally or autocross candidate. Also, any other recommendations - like intake, exhaust, ignition, etc. - you can make will be greatly appreciated.

Tanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:32 am 

I would recomend a +8, or +10 sprocket, but only if you are going to advance the timing. If you insist on leaving it at 5 , then I recomend that you do nothing. A MPG cam may be what you want.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next