TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:13 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:36 am 

This just in... I worked out a deal with one of my grinders, based on volume, and I am now able to drop the price of the 89-up 3cyl cams by US$20, to $130. I've been trying to do this for a while because I think that is closer to where the price should be.
I hope it helps a few guys get cams in their 3's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:47 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

awesome :thumb2:
i can't wait until you're posting info/prices on some good cams for us poor guys stuck w/ the dohc 1.3 engine ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:03 pm 

I have been selling them for a few months now.
There are a few good profiles for the street, and I'm working on some more radical street/race, and race only stuff.

GTi DOHC 16V
Lift ________Dur at .050"
332________198
322________202
340________212

US$275/exchange/set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:35 pm 

i got a 91 gt engine i send you the cams from canada they come back to me i want a good street application because im building a quarter car that will still be a daily driver whats the total on gettign both my cams done?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:34 am 

US$275/set + shipping.
You can go with the 210 duration at .050"/.340Lift
or if you are prepared for a little rougher idle, and are willing to do some computer tuning, go with the 220 duration at .050/.350"Lift. The last one is new for the GTi and would be excellent for the strip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:07 pm 

any clue on what type of gain im gonna get off this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:09 am 

well since i can never get through to suzisport and they're the only ones i've found offering a 1.6 16V SOHC cam, if you offered one of those it would be sweet. Not looking for anything crazy just a good midrange cam that can idle. I'm in the US so shipping from CAN shouldn't be too terrible compared to buying a cam from AUS.

-Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:37 am 

im in desperate need of a cam what are the best options?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:33 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

just to let you know, mike is off (hopefully) setting some new landspeed records this weekend. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:48 am 

ive got ssgti stage 2 chip (89 mark 2gti) with ported,polished gas flowed head at around 130 horses at the fly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:59 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

is there any way to make a "torquer" cam ? something to give a good kick in the pants for the gti without having to rev the snot out of the engine ? it'd be good for street driving & there'd be a big market w/ all the samurai guys who've done the dohc swap ...
i'm going to try to get some results on the advanced cam gears this week as well :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:28 pm 

Quote:
is there any way to make a "torquer" cam ?

Yup.
Such a cam will typically have higher lift/short duration. I do have the 334/198 profile, which is a small increase in int. duration, but a healthy .040" increase in lift. The 6 degree increase in intake duration will have a negligible affect on bottom end, but the effects of higher lift (torque/horsepower) will be felt across the RPM range. The problem is that as you try to increase lift, and maintain a short duration, on these relatively small lobes, ramp speeds, and loading begin to increase to the point that long term reliability becomes an issue.I have at least 6 other profiles that I am looking at for the GTi right now.
I should be coming out with a MPG, or "high efficiency" cam for the 3cyl soon.
I've been surprised at all the hardcore commuters that own the 3's, and have lost sales when the "what will it do to my gas mileage?" question comes up. Now they will have something to increase their miles/gallon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:49 pm 

ColdfireZuk wrote:
well since i can never get through to suzisport and they're the only ones i've found offering a 1.6 16V SOHC cam, if you offered one of those it would be sweet. Not looking for anything crazy just a good midrange cam that can idle. I'm in the US so shipping from CAN shouldn't be too terrible compared to buying a cam from AUS.

Hey Jay,

Get Mike going on this deal as the cam is sitting here at my house. He has the spec's. It is the 1.6 liter 16v SOHC distributor style cam.

Later,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:49 am 

So is possible to regrind stock cams to group A cams?

Lander

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:07 am 

Yes, it is possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:05 am 

I have been selling a pile of 3cyl. cams, and because of that, I'm now able to drop the price to US$125.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:51 am 

Well after 4 days of driving my 2000 G13B 16 valve SOHC with my autobox tranny Metro, I have to report the 'Cove cam performs spectacular in all driving conditions.

My mods are the cam, 60mm SR-20 TB, severely modified factory airbox with K&N inside drawing fenderwell air only. No inside fenderwell box or tubing. 3" inlet tube & silicone coupler. Port matched intake runners. Bone stock exhaust for now. Factory computer & software. Modified factory idle speed solenoid.

The powerband starts just above idle RPM and goes to 6000 RPM where my computer shifts the tranny. The powerband is extremely strong with no flat spots anywhere. There is no bogging what so ever. The car drives so smooth and extremely strong. The fuel mileage is decent running on 89 octane pump gas.

I would consider this cam and my simple low dollar mods to anyone who has the new 16v SOHC G13B. It works perfect and is very affordable.

I can't thank you enough Mike for working with me to get this cam in my engine. It is so perfect.

Mike

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:10 am 

Thanks, Mike. I'm glad that you're happy with the cam. I've been doing a little more work, and research on tha cam (I plan to buy one of those cars for myself), and may be able to grind a little more intake duration. I think the huge increase in exhaust lift, and duration has complemented the bigger throttle body well, and the reasonable intake duration has allowed it to remain fairly 'civil' around town, and in the lower RPM's. It sounds like a nice combination. I will move your comments to the review section if thats OK.
Now go get your exhaust done :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:22 am 

Definately move the comments. I hope anyone looking for way better performance for their 16v SOHC G13B will read this forum. All the exhaust parts are sitting here but I need to wrap up some home projects and rebuild that '97 8 valver Metro engine. There will be a certain point when the cam is too big for the stock torque converter stall speed, but this profile I have works extremely well with the stock converter. I wonder about moving the centerline around to find the ends of the powerband if that is possible. She sure doesn't run out of HP on the big end right now. Maybe there is more torque to be gained although it starts coming on hard just above idle RPM now.

Mike

Post subject: cam
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:08 pm 

OK a bit of an update on my Cove Cam. I put this one in a 1999 metro 1.0 with a 5 speed. The cam is 220 duration.
1. The cam works about like I expected, nice lope at about 800 RPM. And pulls a few more RPM on top.
2. I was getting an EGR flow code about every 200 miles due to the 2-inch straight through exhaust before the cam swap. Now it only comes on about once a week or 500 miles. So the cam helped here also.
3. The 0 to 65 MPH time improved by 1.5 second’s. From 16.5 to a blistering 15 flat, this was timed by the OBDII reader and a Vericom 200.
4. Overall a well worth the trouble and expense.

With that said some things I did note about this car

1. The cam is not hollow like the earlier ones and has a longer pin. The older style cam seems to fit fine.
2. The timing gears and belt are a lot wider on the 1999 motor. The top gear looks like the twin cam gear not the stamped gear.
3. Most power pulleys are made to fit on the crank key, this motor has a small drive pin that is offset and will make the timing marks off.
4. the 185-60r14 tires on this car are to tall ! I put some 175-50 r13’S on and picked up a full secound to 14 flat 0 to 65mph. This was timed with the Vericom since the shorter tire invalidates the OBDII reading.

My goal with this car was obtained , to be able to get up to 70 mph at the end of the on ramp. Stock it could only do a little over 50 . it also gets about the same mileage, right around 40.
Please add me to the positive feedback list!
Thanks
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:25 pm 

Thanks, Larry. Again, I'm glad that you're happy with the cam. Did you ever get to compare the GTi timing pulley with the stock 3cyl. one? Like we discussed, you may be able to pick up +4 degrees by using the exhaust markings. From the testing, and experiences of Bville Tom, and myself, that too will add power, and lower your times.

Post subject: pulley
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:00 pm 

i had the car back together before i read the email. i'll be putting a power pulley on when i get around to redrilling it to match my crank timing pin.
i would like to try it then. i wasn't sure that it would work with the wider belt on my motor.
i did note that my stock cam gear had 2 marks but only 1 key slot. i had to do a little old school timing. when it went back up. they are not 180 across from each other. also the pin on the crank gear is not over the key ,it has a mark that is hard to see.
hope this helps some one.
larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:05 pm 

Sounds like Larry's gears are the same as my '00 G13B's.

Anyhow after 1 week and 270 miles of driving she made 30 MPG with some good semi hard driving. This included seeing how the car could easily blow past 75 MPH on a on ramp and passing on the two lane roads at 85 MPH with ease. Bone stock exhaust so there is tons of improvement yet to go for performance and fuel economy. This cam will pay for itself eventually in fuel savings. The throttle plate is nearly closed at 65 MPH. Tons of passing power. :twisted: Seat of the pants driving shows about 80 something MPH in the guestimated quarter on the street. Real track tests next spring.

Mike

Post subject: Mk1 cam
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:39 pm 

I just joined the site, so y'all may have to bear with me here (I'm SNG - Stoopid New Guy). I see performance cams (and other neat stuff) for '89-and-up 1.0 cars, but not the '88-and-earlier. Are they significantly different? Should I forget building up my '88 motor and start looking for an '89? I would really like a cam and header.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:53 am 

The motors are different.
The early motors have more potential, due to a bettter head design, so keep the motor you have.
I can do a cam for you, no problem. As far as a header, I don't think you will find one, but a free flowing 1 7/8", or 2" exhaust will help alot.
Look at the specs for the 1.3 SOHC 8V cams that I offer, and that is what I will have available for the early 3's.
PM me with your details if you want a recomendation.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next