TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:25 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:23 am 

BECAUSE I REALLY wanted Centric front rotors for my Metro, I went ahead to place an order through RockAuto for Centric Premium rotors, pn 120.48001.

On their website I was thrilled to find that there was a choice for "wholesaler's clearance" for $14 each vs $26 each (it was a pulldown box choice under the Centric Premium rotor listing) so I bought the last 2 available.

Yesterday the package arrives, I get home from work, excitedly open the box and inside are NOT Centric brand rotors!

What is inside looks to be very poorly made rotors from some unknown company!

- the box is plain white except for a label on the side. Centric boxes for their premium rotors are unique (see picture below)
- the label on the side is OVER another label. The top label has 2 pns on it, the centric pn but also a 'generic' rotor pn of 31015 that many manufacturer's use. The label underneath ONLY has the 31015 pn. The label itself has doesn't say Centric on it anywhere AND the label is not Centric's 'style'
- The rotor stamping on the edge does NOT have the centric name or part number on it
- Centric premium rotors are e-coated over their entire non-braking surface. These rotors are plain cast iron finished.
- Centric premium rotor casting is fine grain, what I received is cheap, coarse grained rotors.
- Centric premium rotors are bagged and covered with lubricant. These rotors are bagged with NO lubricant and in fact one rotor has quite a bit of rust on it.
- I see no balance cuts on these rotors at all.
- Centrics are center split casted, these are not at all.

Here's the selling points for the Centric Premium rotors. The ones I bought for my wife's PT cruiser are identical in contruction to what is shown on this website.
Centric Premium Rotors

I called Rockauto today and spoke to a customer rep for over 20 mins. She continually said:
"But the number on the box matches Centric's pn"
"We do not substitute pn's or manufacturers. It must be a Centric part"
"if the part is wrong, Centric must have put the wrong part in the box"

After MUCH discussion she said that she could refund me the price of the parts.

"But what about shipping?" She was not going to refund the shipping.
This started even more discussions with me saying "But these are NOT centric premium rotors" and her saying basically we don't make mistakes - centric must have put the wrong part in the box."

Finally the call ended that RockAuto will contact Centric on Monday to "check that the part number is correct" and only at that time will I be refunded part AND shipping costs.

RockAuto contracts with many warehouses across the US. (80 I hear). One of the warehouses mis-represented these parts as being Centric Premium rotors and they are not.
Many companies put more than one part number on their label to show what they can replace and I believe the warehouse thought these were Centric Premiums based on one of the part numbers on the box but what these are is definitely not from Centric!

To her it was completely impossible that the part they shipped me is NOT a Centric Premium rotor, but that Centric either put the wrong rotor in the box or they changed the specifications on the rotor.

ARRRRGH!
Stay tuned.
Boxes I received
Label over another label. You can see the pn under the top label ONLY says 31015.

Here's a real Centric Premium Rotor box and label

- New bearings and 1st/2nd synchros at 440.5K miles.
- MPGuino
- Averaging ~ 51MPG these days

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:57 am 

I sent a note off to Centric shortly after making the post here, and within MINUTES I received a reply from the PRESIDENT of Centric!!!

He asked me to send him the pictures as "Based on what you describe, these are not Centric premium rotors."

I sent him the pictures and he replied again within minutes

"These parts are absolutely NOT Centric product. These are inexpensive entry level parts that have none of the features and benefits of our product.
This is clear cut misrepresentation."

Wow.
-President of Centric, quickly responding on a Saturday.

this is why I like Centric - they care about their product.

- MPGuino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:11 pm 

Update again!

He gave his phone number and said that RockAuto can call him directly on Monday to verify the parts are not theirs.

What a great company Centric is!

- MPGuino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:11 pm 

Hey and good for you for following up. Lots of people who don't know the difference, or don't have the gumption would have put them on their car and forgotten about it, damaging not only their consumer utility from the product, but also Centric's reputation should anything go wrong in the future.

Also, like you said, very good to see that they are on the ball as far as following up on this stuff goes. I wouldn't be surprised if RockAuto gets some serious flak that they'll redirect to whichever warehouse passed these off on them. And well deserved.

I'll definitely be shopping Centric in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:14 pm 

RockAuto is a massive outfit with a bazillion parts. They make mistakes now and then, but on the whole you can save some serious money. I've gotten wrong rotors from them before, they don't know, it's a f$%kin number on a box. Wanna different box with a different number?, they'll almost always swap them out. Supply chain management of a bazillion white cardboard boxes with numbers on them is subject to human and machine error. You wanna save money, you get what you didn't pay for.

You want hands on, informed, caring customer service (Obama style)?? Then go to your local parts store and pay full retail. They will remember your name and face, they'll keep ordering parts in till you get what you want, and they'll make it right, often with same day service. For that level of service, you pay the full retail premium, but that's why brick and mortar can never be obsoleted by Amazon or RockAuto.

I've got several returns for rock auto sitting in boxes that I'm too lazy to ship back, on my dime, cuz there are too many other piles of rock auto parts that I need to install on my fleet of POS cars, and I don't have time to get it all done. But I save a LOT of money by ordering close out parts from rock auto way in advance of the actual installs. When I want premium quality parts I order from Summit Racing and get the right part every single time.

F/S 89 Swift GTi body only
F/S 92 Tracker 2 dr rwd stock
93 Sidekick 4 dr 1.9 vw TD, WVO conversion, 6" lift over 33's

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:21 pm 

87octane wrote:
RockAuto is a massive outfit with a bazillion parts. They make mistakes now and then, but on the whole you can save some serious money. I've gotten wrong rotors from them before, they don't know, it's a f$%kin number on a box. Wanna different box with a different number?, they'll almost always swap them out. Supply chain management of a bazillion white cardboard boxes with numbers on them is subject to human and machine error. You wanna save money, you get what you didn't pay for.

You want hands on, informed, caring customer service (Obama style)?? Then go to your local parts store and pay full retail. They will remember your name and face, they'll keep ordering parts in till you get what you want, and they'll make it right, often with same day service. For that level of service, you pay the full retail premium, but that's why brick and mortar can never be obsoleted by Amazon or RockAuto.

I've got several returns for rock auto sitting in boxes that I'm too lazy to ship back, on my dime, cuz there are too many other piles of rock auto parts that I need to install on my fleet of POS cars, and I don't have time to get it all done. But I save a LOT of money by ordering close out parts from rock auto way in advance of the actual installs. When I want premium quality parts I order from Summit Racing and get the right part every single time.

From what I've read, RockAuto carries no inventory and only contracts with warehouses. I'm not saying they don't make mistakes but for their CSR to say that there is no way they can make a shipping mistake and that the PN on the box is right so the contents if wrong is Centric's problem is ridiculous.

This is the first shipping problem I've had with RockAuto. Like you I have been taking advantage of their wholesaler closeout deals, and until now they have all been correct. I order a Beck Arnley part - I get a Beck Arnley part (I know BA rebadges). I order a AC Delco part, I get an AC Delco part. In this case I ordered a Centric Premium Rotor, they sent . . .I don't know what company they sent, but it isn't a Centric Premium rotor or even their low end rotor. There was no offer to send out another set of rotors as I bought the last 2 wholesale closeouts. There was no offer to refund the whole order so I could buy the 'regular inventory' part until they contact Centric on Monday.

Hopefully everything is cleared up on Monday.

- MPGuino

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:25 pm 

I ordered from Rock Auto for the first time, only a few weeks ago. Direct fit Bosal catalytic converter for the 94 GT. The price was right and unlike most of the other part sites, they would ship into Canada without me having to get involved with a 3rd-party customs broker/expediter to get stuff across the border.

I was somewhat trepidatious about getting the right part because so many of the US-based online parts websites were showing that their various replacement cats would fit ALL Swift models. They are not very discriminatory about correct pictures either. I even had to contact Bosal to clear up the confusion.

Once satisfied, I went ahead. About two weeks later the part arrived. Yippee! $120 CDN versus $250 CDN if I had bought locally.

I noticed three things:

1 - The part arrived not in a Bosal carton, but in a Rock Auto box. Hmmm, what's up with that? Still, It was packed well and arrived in good condition.

2 - The part appeared new and unused. There was the Bosal stocking label. Good. And curiously a NAPA label describing the part, the NAPA part number AND the NAPA stocking dealer's name and address.
For a NAPA store in St John's Newfoundland! WTF is up with that?
A returned part from the NAPA store back to NAPA back to Bosal then to Rock Auto in Wisconsin then on to me in Hamilton?? Quite the trip this little cat-con has made before getting into my hot little grease-stained hands.

3- The rear flange seemed slightly out of alignment on the tubing - like it was cocked slightly before it was welded. Test fitting to the resonator confirmed that there was a slight mismatch. Great! This car has been an exhaust system eater since I bought it new back in early '95. An an endless source of exasperation. Oh well, I thought what's life without challenges?
Judicious use of the BIG ball-pein hammer corrected that. And a new pair of big beefy nuts and bolts tightened to 35 lb-ft at that connection.

But I always wondered how Rock Auto could offer such low prices? Perhaps now I know.

I have to say though that the process of using them was seamless, the price was right and I would order from them again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:42 pm 

Got a phone call from RockAuto saying they called Dan (president of Centric) and he confirmed the parts I received were NOT centric parts.

RockAuto refunded me the rotors + shipping.

Yay! Now I can go buy the real stuff from a Centric authorized distributor (Tire Rack).

Very special thanks to Dan Lelchuk, President of Centric to get involved. I'm sure it helped speed things along.

Also glad I knew what their product should have looked like. I'd hate to think someone not knowing would think this is the quality that Centric is producing.

dave

- MPGuino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:46 pm 

Heh, they make mistakes.

The one I never bothered to complain about was some BeckArnley remanufactured brake shoes, they seem to work well even though the shoes were glued onto the backings crooked... :lol:

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah