TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:05 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:31 pm 

I have a MV3 5 speed 4.10 that was not shifting too well. While the noises were funny, they were not amusing.
I took it to him, with a few spare parts and a kit with new synchro's.
Now my '91 'vert, not only shifts better than any standard I've ever shifted, but no noise.
If you can afford to get one rebuilt, you should be able to get it shipped to him, to get it done better.

Now, if I could just figure out why the cam seal gets blown out around 100 miles.... and it has a new engine, new PCV with the O-ring down..... :huh:

'91 'vert with factory 160 hp 13B two rotor, Very clean RX-7.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:13 pm 

The cam seal can blow out if the tiny oil return passage between the head and the front cam cap is plugged with silicone. If it keeps blowing out for no reason this is generally the cause. Remove the valve cover, then the cam bearing cap that is at the front and sits over top of the seal. You will see a small passage once you are in there that may have a bit of sealant blocking it. If the oil can't get out it forces the seal out. Very likely since you mentioned recent engine work. When you reassemble put just a thin thin layer of sealant on before bolting cap down again and away you go!

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:34 pm 

I wonder if he has a spare pre-95 trans he can rebuild for me if I send him my 98 trans and rebuild kit.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:27 pm 

I will have a spare 92 trans in about a month
I rebuilt it about 6 months ago for my 97 1.3L automatic to standard conversion.
Ring and pinion 3.79
5th gear 0.75.
I set it up for mileage not drag racing.
I need to replace 1st gear parts. The one I used was worn and jumps out of gear.
I am building another transmission now so I only have to do a trans swap.
Once I get the trans out and replace the 1st gear parts I will post it for sale.
No leaks, drips or errors. Runs quiet, no gear noises. No spun bearing races in the cases.
It really works well other then 1st gear, but that will be fixed before I will sell it.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:28 am 

I have a question regarding gears in a 1998 5spd. Is there a better final 5th gear drive than stock for milage? What is the stock ratio? Thanks in advance.

fainya wrote:
I will have a spare 92 trans in about a month
I rebuilt it about 6 months ago for my 97 1.3L automatic to standard conversion.
Ring and pinion 3.79
5th gear 0.75.
I set it up for mileage not drag racing.
I need to replace 1st gear parts. The one I used was worn and jumps out of gear.
I am building another transmission now so I only have to do a trans swap.
Once I get the trans out and replace the 1st gear parts I will post it for sale.
No leaks, drips or errors. Runs quiet, no gear noises. No spun bearing races in the cases.
It really works well other then 1st gear, but that will be fixed before I will sell it.

1998 3/5, GR2 KYBs new mounts all around, Spring rubber spacers for that nice handling and rally look, MB x 7 wheels, Drilled and Slotted front discs, ceramic pads, New Lower control arms, New inner outer tie rods, Urethane bushings and zerk fittings, Urethane sway bar endlinks and bushings. new half shafts, New front bearings, Dark tinted windows, New 2 core radiator, 195 thermostat, Push button start. Silicone hoses (blue) installed CS 130 (105 amp) alternator conversion.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:31 am 

I've decided I'm ok with my 98 4.39 ratio but wish I had a taller 5th gear for freeway driving. Is that possible?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:59 am 
Suzuki Elder

fainya built a transmission for me that is an absolute beauty. he assembled it with a2 stainless steel allen head cap screws and painted it black to match my project.

i have started to drive the car now that my project is nearing completion and i give fainya a double thumbs up. he's a craftsman of the highest rank and you cannot ask for more precise work or attention to detail.

my twincam swap project proudly included a fainya rebuilt transmission and a reworked distributor.

i'm pretty picky about what i use for my special projects and i whole heartedly recommend fainya's rebuilds. we don't get a lot of support for our old cars but fainya is a welcome breath of fresh air in the community. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:52 pm 

+1 for great work done by Fainya. I never got around to taking pictures of how nice it looks but he rebuilt a distributor for me and the work was immaculate. The part looked better then factory spec and performs flawlessly.