TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:10 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:09 am 

crazyman wrote:
PBC137 wrote:
repair manual specifically states to DO NOT DISASSEMBLE THE LIFTER ASSEMBLY?

How many CD players say "Do not disassemble. No user serviceable parts inside" yet still work better after Q-Tipping the lens?

That's a dumb comparison. Almost all CD players have the lens accessible without any dis-assembly required. It takes a significant bit of taking apart stuff to get the lifters off... timing belt covers, t-belt, valve cover, cams/cam gears.

And unlike lens' cleaners being available off the shelf, the same cannot be said for lash adjusters.

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:04 am 

PBC137 wrote:
And unlike lens' cleaners being available off the shelf, the same cannot be said for lash adjusters.

Don't be so sure!
http://www.auto-rx.com/
http://www.lcdinc.com/products_lube_control.php

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:25 am 

martinq wrote:
PBC137 wrote:

Don't be so sure!
http://www.auto-rx.com/
http://www.lcdinc.com/products_lube_control.php

*sigh* thanks for missing my point. If proper maintenance (read: use CORRECT oil and change it ON TIME) is done to any engine, there would be no need for those products you just quoted. Cleaning a lens is almost always a required maintenance process, and is usually stated in the user manual...partial dis-assembly of a cylinder head to take apart and clean lifters is not. Well, at least the folks at Suzuki don't think so.

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:45 am 

PBC137 wrote:
*sigh* thanks for missing my point. If proper maintenance (read: use CORRECT oil and change it ON TIME) is done to any engine, there would be no need for those products you just quoted. Cleaning a lens is almost always a required maintenance process, and is usually stated in the user manual...partial dis-assembly of a cylinder head to take apart and clean lifters is not. Well, at least the folks at Suzuki don't think so.

I don't think I missed your point. You said:
PBC137 wrote:

I linked to two of-the-shelf type products that can do just that, clean the lifters without taking things apart.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:02 am 

well. we are told to not do many things. take each with a grain of salt, and decide what you want to do...

Point being.. It doesn't say in a car owners manual or service manual that if you smoke or drive gravel roads to clean your lens...

When a 700r4 or 4l60e dies, pull it, and pull the pump. The second thing you pull is the toasted 3-4 clutchpak. And that's probably what the average shop does during a rebuild...

The choice is yours to learn or be a sheep is my point, dude.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:56 am 

I just rebuilt the lifters on my '92 1.0. Here are some things that I learned along the way, I hope they help someone else.

When I first pulled my lifters, all but one of them was stuck in position... I couldn't even compress them with a pair of pliers. I was able to pop out the centers just by beating them against the counter, but the center pieces would not separate. After fighting with one for about an hour I soaked them overnight. Next day I figured out how to break them loose.

At first I was trying to pry them apart, but I wasn't getting anywhere with that... just a nick on one of the lifters (the metal is really solid stuff, so you shouldn't have to worry too much about messing them up). Then I spun found that if I keep spinning the inner part around it would eventually free up just a smidgen. After that I spent the next 15 minutes doing hand exercises by repeatedly compressing the lifter. Eventually it freed things up enough that I was able to pull it out by hand and there was pretty much 0 chance that I would nick the lifter like I did pulling apart.

The other big thing I found was that if you use soda cans with the tops cut off for soaking that you want to wash them with soap and water. I just gave them a good rinse, but the carb cleaner I got made some nasty slimy stuff at the bottom... I think next time I'll use some old baby food jars instead.

I went through about 10 paper towels and 100 Q-tips.

Like I said, hope it helps someone... I searched and couldn't find any real solution to freeing up the stuck lifters.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:11 pm 

Bleeding the lifters :
You fill the bottom half of the plunger and when you place the upper part you can push on the little ball so that the lifter bleeds down all the excess oil

hope this helps.
I also found that toluen is best for cleaning them.

P.S: be very angry when you smash them .Otherwise they wont split.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:14 am 

Does somemone still have the images?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:47 am 

^^second that surely someone can repost the images

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:27 am 

Any chance someone has a copy of those images they could post? It sure would be great to see them.