TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:58 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:48 pm 

First off..I'm new to the forum. I'm from Virginia and I own a 1995 Geo Metro 3 cyd. The A/C is blowing "cold"...but in 90 degree weather it does not keep it cool enough. I've charged it into the yellow on the chepo wal-mart rig...and that helped....I want an A/C that I do not have to run on high to just stay warm during the summer. Anything I could check or upgrade....or is the ole metro destined to be warm/hot in the summer. Any advice/help would be appriciated.

Shawn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:10 pm 

A lot is going to depend on how hot the day is - it's been my experience on a 1.3 Swift that the a/c struggles to cope with the heat load on a hot day and if the vehicle is stationary, it will eventually reach a point where it cannot cope - it needs air flow from the vehicle motion through the condenser.

Try misting the condenser with water and see if that drops the interior temperature and if it does there's not much you can do, maybe add a second fan.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:12 am 

Make sure pressures are right. If they are remove the one factory A/C fan and put twin aftermarket. This will help it cool better.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:51 pm 

Hi I am new too.
I have a 1999 Firefly with the 1.3L and A/C.
First off remember that the A/C will only drop the temp. about 20 deg. celsius from the ambiant air temp. If you are not already, turn the vent to recurculation. The A/C will keep cooling the already cool air inside the car instead of trying to cool the hot outside air. That, and turn the vents so that they are blowing directly on you. I find that the A/C works better in my car than any other I have tried (there's not much air to cool inside such a small car).
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:15 pm 

Has anyone tried that Glacier Ice stuff that they sell at O'reilly's? Its supposed to lower the temp of your A/C by about 18%. Just wanted to know if it was a complete joke before I decided to put it in my car.

I had a nightmare with my A/C when I replaced the condenser. It didnt fit, first of all, so I had to cut a section out of my high side line and reattach it with a compression fitting to shorten it. I also had to fabricate a new bracket to attach to the condenser to hold the dryer in place. The b-nut on the high side line stripped, along with the line at the bottom of the condenser. And since its a #5 fitting, nobody has it. (Go figure - an Asian car with American fittings.) So, I had to have my buddy at a local machine shop weld nitrous fittings onto the condenser and we used #6's all the way around. By the time it was all done, I spent close to $600 and two weeks getting it put back together. So, for anyone dealing with A/C problems on your Swift/Metro/Cultus/Firefly etc., I feel for you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:30 pm 

Casper wrote:
Has anyone tried that Glacier Ice stuff that they sell at O'reilly's? Its supposed to lower the temp of your A/C by about 18%. Just wanted to know if it was a complete joke before I decided to put it in my car.

I had a nightmare with my A/C when I replaced the condenser. It didnt fit, first of all, so I had to cut a section out of my high side line and reattach it with a compression fitting to shorten it. I also had to fabricate a new bracket to attach to the condenser to hold the dryer in place. The b-nut on the high side line stripped, along with the line at the bottom of the condenser. And since its a #5 fitting, nobody has it. (Go figure - an Asian car with American fittings.) So, I had to have my buddy at a local machine shop weld nitrous fittings onto the condenser and we used #6's all the way around. By the time it was all done, I spent close to $600 and two weeks getting it put back together. So, for anyone dealing with A/C problems on your Swift/Metro/Cultus/Firefly etc., I feel for you.

compression fitting :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:41 pm 

COMP wrote:

Yah, it actually worked! No leaks or anything. I shot it with UV dye to make sure. It was my stepdad's idea. Since he's an aeronautical engineer for NASA, I trusted him. :wink: He says he uses compression fittings on his rocket fuel lines all of the time and that they can withstand about 10,000 psi. So far, so good.

Last edited by Casper on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:46 pm 

You can get some additional cooling for any A/C or non-A/C car through http://www.roshgo.com they make several things that can help out. I ordered their Kooleraire portable unit that is basically a lid the replaces the original lid on either a Igloo 25 qt or Coleman 28 qt cooler. Their unit has a fan that sucks air in over the ice and a vent that it blows out of....kind of like when I was a kid the vast majority of us did not have a/c and simply placed pans of ice in front of a fan blowing towards us. Their unit plugs into the lighter socket....I bought one to use both in my non-a/c Meto and at the drag strip in the car I race....I always have a cooler with me anyhow for drinks and food, now it can do double duty. They also have a universal fit kit to use on up to 72 qt coolers! I wish I had known about them many years ago....and even when I was a letter carrier....on days of lots of sunlight the interiors of those trucks would be over 135 in shaded areas!

They also make a seat cover that sucks air in through a vent and blows it out the entire seat nd back area....I imagine someone could take both products and hook a hose up from the kooeraire to the seat!

They use a 100 cfm fan and the air blown out is @ 50 degrees.

84 Horizon / 1760 lbs / was 17.9, now 23.0 mpg
96 Geo Metro / 1590 lbs / was 46.2, now 60 mpg!
95 Neon / unk mpg so far

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:23 pm 

Casper wrote:
COMP wrote:

Yah, it actually worked! No leaks or anything. I shot it with UV dye to make sure. It was my stepdad's idea. Since he's an aeronautical engineer for NASA, I trusted him. :wink: He says he uses compression fittings on his rocket fuel lines all of the time and that they can withstand about 10,000 psi. So far, so good.

where did you get them ??? the hardware stores here don't have that good of stuff :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:42 pm 

COMP wrote:
where did you get them ??? the hardware stores here don't have that good of stuff :lol:

I picked up a 5/16" compression fitting from my local AutoZone. You might also try radiator shops or if you have a Lowe's near you, I think they have them as well.