TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:19 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A/C vents and dashboard
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:51 am 

I am in the process of painting my entire dashboard because it has some nasty light gray gritty crap all over it. Not sure what it is but sanding has helped. However, I don't think it will ever look "good" again without painting. My main question is: How the heck do you remove the A/C vents from the dashboard? I tried to pop one out with a flat head screwdriver and ended up breaking it. Most of the directional slats on my vents are broken so I wouldn't mind replacing them if possible.

Also, does anyone have a write-up on how to remove the entire dashboard? I have been removing every piece of plastic trim and every screw and bolt that I can find and the dash doesn't even budge. Seems like it will be a real PITA to repaint the entire dash while it is still in the car. Thanks

Oh, it is a 1996 Geo Metro 1.3l 4cyl automatic sedan if that helps at all.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:49 am 

There are two inaccessible screws on each far end of the d-board near the door frames. You simply need to brute force the dash out, and the plastic will break this is the only way the d-board will remove. Ill post pics later.
The 97-97 models of the geo/firefly had a poor formula in the plastic make-up of the dashboard, as it deteriorates and becomes shitty over time. The 98-2001 models do not suffer from this problem. Notice how the passenger airbag cover is not affected, as the plastic was most likely made in a different plant that had the correct formula.

2000 Firefly 1.3 SOHC 16VALVE AUTO. Goals: full restoration, achieve stock MPG and HP or higher, finished look should be 'stealthy' and unassuming. Engine will need to be rebuilt later on to restore compression levels.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:33 pm 

I just pulled a dash from a 97. You do not need to break the plastic to remove it.

There is 4 12mm bolts that you access from the door jams. Take those out and also pull the a-pillar plastic trim pieces.

You will also need to remove the 2 bolts that hold the steering column in place.

This will allow you to pull the dash out far enough to remove the two hidden screws on each side of the dash near the doors.

Also one more screw is hidden under a little plastic cover in the center of the dash near the windshield.

Now there is plenty of screws under the dash that you will need to remove too, but if you take your time you will find them.

Took me about 45 minutes to get it out without breaking anything.

Allen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:49 am 

Awesome, I will give it a try. I found the bolts in the door jams and took them out and was surprised when the dash still didn't budge. I have most of the dash pieces removed along with the plastic housing around the shifter and parking break. I even have the passenger side seat out right now. (took the seats out so I could shampoo and steam clean the nasty interior. The water that came out looked like Pepsi :puker: ) I think I read that there are some hard to reach screws located behind the stereo...is that correct? Thanks for the responses guys.