TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:12 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:13 pm 
Island Inbreeder

1987 chevy sprint
137,000 miles
Compression was 150-160-150
smoked on start up oil looked like gue

New and old seals
I had a bunch of valve tools but nothing would work for this job
So I made a spring compressor out of some scrap steel
here's all the tools it took to do the job
Remove the Valve cover..
back off the tap it nut (valve adjustment nut) With the 12mm Wrench and the Screw driver
Remove the Spark plugs and screw in a hose that you can hook up to a Air compressor
so you can apply air in the Cylinder to hold the valves up while removing the svalve springs
Hit the top of the Valve spring to loosen the clips
Then use home made valve spring compressing tool
Remove the Clips and Valve spring
spry off the old seal with screw driver install new seal
reinstall valve spring and install clips
Tighten valves down to spec using a feeler gage
While the car is in gear you can roll the motor slightly to make sure the valve's are not on a camshaft lobe
Intake...-.017
Exhaust..-.022
reinstall the valve cover
--GV&S

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

Last edited by jaguar,vettes&sprints on Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:56 am 

jaguar,vettes&sprints wrote:
1987 chevy sprint

Intake...-.017
Exhaust..-.022

--GV&S

Nice write up. Now, after you did all that, did it stop the engine from smoking on start up like it did before you changed the seals?
And it's a little tough for my simple mind to remember your 17 and 22 values, as I was thinking 6 and 8. Now I remember why:

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:21 pm 

Ahh those seals are fine i tell ya :shock:

94 GEO METRO PARTS FOR SALE EVERYTHING MUST GO!!!!
94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:41 pm 
Island Inbreeder

Phil N Ed wrote:
jaguar,vettes&sprints wrote:
1987 chevy sprint

Intake...-.017
Exhaust..-.022

--GV&S

Nice write up. Now, after you did all that, did it stop the engine from smoking on start up like it did before you changed the seals?
And it's a little tough for my simple mind to remember your 17 and 22 values, as I was thinking 6 and 8. Now I remember why:

My manual shows it at ...
Intake...-.017
Exhaust..-.022

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:18 am 

I have the same manual an it saids I-.017 and E-.022 too. Nice write up though and with good pictures. How much were each vavle seal?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:25 pm 

And to think we just adjusted Dale 50000's valves at 6 and 8 :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hope he makes it back to Washington..... :lol: :lol: :oops:

Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:41 pm 

lol, don't worry. He probably still walking his way home.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:41 pm 

""""""""Post subject: Re: Replace valve seals..MK1 PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:41 pm
Offline User avatar

lol, don't worry. He probably still walking his way home. """"

Above is the QUOTE....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I drove from Palm Springs, CA to Lompoc, CA stopped to see Aunt. Drove from Lompoc, CA this afternoon to Salinas, CA .. I am staying in Salinas tonight...

I drove between 60 MPH to 75 MPH, :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

and got 52.30 Miles Per Gallon....... Have not walked yet.... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:D

And am heading to the the LOUSY weather in the Puget Sound Region [seattle, everett, tacoma, vashon island areas] from the Sunny Warm Southern California area...[palm springs]

1985 Chevy Sprint Mk1 G10 5 Speed Sky Blue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:54 am 

I was joking dale. Sorry if I pissed you off.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:09 am 

a1989swift wrote:
I was joking dale. Sorry if I pissed you off.

Relax, Cowboy...you didn't piss him off. He's teasing you!

He stopped by for a short visit, and ended up staying for almost a week. Guess you could say he liked my wife's cooking, and my silly adjustments to his car. His trip from Washington State to L.A. cost him $75 in gas...and it didn't use oil; no big deal to me, but he was impressed with it's performance. I think his wife was shocked that he made it OK.

It sounded ratty when our former pilot from Teamswift pulled it into the garage. We spent several days adjusting valves, cleaning under the hood, fixing little rattles here and there...he claimed to have learned a lot.

I still have a couple of 'sodas' :givebeer: in the refrigerator, so there were a few things we didn't do.

In all fairness to Dale, he had the valves set around 8 and 10, so once we tightened em up to 6 and 8, wow! It was sure quiet. His 85 has the following shift points in miles per hour:

but he's a little putt putt, so he shifts at 10, 20, 30, and 40. Whatever.

He got a tach off ebay, and put the switch on the back to the 3 cylinder setting. I had him switch it, and on the 6 cylinder setting it works just fine. He can tell you which brand it is, I forget. Also, he had installed an aftermarket stereo and some speakers. The Mickey Mouse sound deadener that he put in the doors messed up his window regulator, but we were able to bend it back into specs.

His vacuum was 'whacky' when I first hooked up the gauge. It isn't as steady as I'd like it, but now it's a lot better. He had the lines to his air cleaner blocked off. Part of the problem was the timing, part of the problem might be his valves. He needs to hook up the air pulse system again. The 85 has some vacuum parts on the air cleaner, so we fixed those, and hooked em back up again. Now, when it's warmed up, it gets a 'programmed amount' of air from the valve in the air cleaner directly into the intake manifold, leaning it out a little bit. It was running too rich, (and the carb still needs adjustment) but at over 50 miles per gallon, maybe it's not really worth the effort.

Dale liked my little 4 door, and is now convinced that my sound deadener is the way to go...even though he likes to hear the rattles and feels the bumps in his car, or so he claimed. My guess is that he'll put some deadener under the hood. And so I don't have to send him a pm: Dale it's called 'Second Skin Audio' and they're out of Phoenix.

He helped me balance the pistons in my wife's car. After it was done, he said: "Oh, that's not as difficult as I thought it would be!" plus we took a few pictures, so a DIY piston balance thread is almost a done deal...

The gas cap cover got broken on the trip down, and we were able to find one in the garage here, paint it to match, and what a surprise.

Gave him a tutorial on "Ultra Grey", and now he likes it. His cork oil pan gasket has a small seep, so he'll have to replace it. He brought one along, and I noticed it as he was arranging things in the back of the car...duh! But too late, maybe next time....

Dale, you owe me a distributor O-ring, two bolts for your air cleaner, etc. etc.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

...pictures to follow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:35 pm 

Phil is right, I was kidding you..... Phil hit it right on the head in what he said about the fix'es on my Sprint .....

So, I will just keep on putt putt'ing along ................. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: .....................

1985 Chevy Sprint Mk1 G10 5 Speed Sky Blue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:51 am 

Oh, ok then. Thanks Phil and Dale. :mrgreen: