TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:54 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:44 pm 

Although I have been tinkering around with cars for 30 years I have found finding noises in Metro's particularly difficult. I think this is because the frame is made of such thin metal that sound in Metro's travel far. I have had one rattle and one knock coming from the back of my 96 Metro LSI 4 door sedan that were particularly difficult to find. Here is what I found in hopes that this may help someone else. The first was a buzzing sound between the passenger side rear door and the rear window. After pulling out the interior trim and the trunk lining I found that the noise was coming from a loose rubber muffler mount bolt. Inside the car the noise sounded like it was much higher while the sound was actually coming from under the car. The second noise was a loud deep thumping every time I accelerated or braked. The sound was coming from the drivers side rear wheel. It sounded like something major was coming loose. After shaking everything I could I gave up and when putting the tire back on I noticed that some of the plastic trim rivets were missing from the fender cover right behind the wheel so I put some bolts and nuts in there and wondered how I was going to find the knock. The next day when I drove to work there was no knock. The bracket has one attachment bolt on top and two to the fender cover. When some of the plastic trim rivets are missing or loose this bracket can rock back and forth and cause a knocking sound that is pretty loud. I hope this helps someone.