TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:59 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:20 am 

Hey guys I thought this might be useful to some.I wanted to get more air to my new motor but didnt want to compromise its filtering ability(wanted to keep the stock filter seals intact)so this is what I did,enjoy.

first i built some tabs out of some scrap metal I had laying around.
Then I took it over to the drill press(a regular hand drill would work fine)to drill a hole in it.
Then I found a lil round piece to use as a bolt stop so when I crank the bolt down it doesnt get all contorted.Placed a bolt and nut through it to hold it in place for the next step.
Then I used the mig welder to weld it in place.YOu could just carefully hold the piece when you install bolt when you put this together.I just wanted to weld it cause I dont want to take a chance of it falling into my intake.

Now I want to trim this bolt stop down a bit its to long.You can use a file or a grinder,I have a mill in the shop so why not ,its the right tool for the job.
Finished piece cut to the right debt,just need to profile the radious a lil better on the grinder.
Now like I said I want to keep the stock sealing mechanisim so this is what I did.I drilled out the spot welds so I could just have the ring that press's on the seal.
Then I cut the squared ends off to make it look a lil better.
Here it is bolted into place I have a nice evan pressure on the seal now,probably better than it was stock.
Next I opened up the top of the air filter housing so we can get bigtime air to the filter.
By doing this I still get to use the stock wire clamps so I can keep evan pressure on the other air filter seal.Its installed.
Now for the hole thats left in the middle of the stock filter element I just cut a top off my water bottle ground it smooth and used my favorite permatex rightstuff to glue it over the hole and seal it up.

There ya go,no dirt could possible get past this and it will flow mass more air than the stock set up.Hope you enjoyed this right up I enjoyed bringing it to ya. :mrgreen: 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:18 am 

nice work friend. have to tested it yet?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:33 am 

+1 for ingenuity!

-Front lowered 2", euro taillights with LED light bar, clear corners, CAI, 31x10.50 Rear tire swap
1993 Dakota
- All stock, big ol v8 beast. Wanna buy it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:39 am 

Thanks for the positive comments.I havent tested it yet.Ive got the front end all tore apart,the bottom ball joints are real bad on my car.I should have new lower control arms today(I hope) so I can put it back together and finish breaking in this motor,so I can get her all tuned in. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:44 am 
Island Inbreeder

Ok let me ask you this it is a TBI
so when you Mod the air filter the dence air sensor located in the air cleaner now insted of drawing cool out side air
now you pulling in warm air traped ontop of the engine bay
how does that effect the ECM ..??
cold dence air = more fuel
warm air = less fuel or lean situation
"Cold air has more oxygen by volume. So you can stuff more fuel into the cylinder while maintaining the proper air/fuel ratio. That's one reason why the go-fast people like it.

The idea behind using warm air for efficiency is to intentionally depower the motor. Less oxygen by volume means you must open the throttle further to generate a given amount of power. A wider throttle opening means reduced pumping losses. "

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:43 pm 

Good point jag vette metro.Concidering this rig didnt come with any of the stock or modified pipeing to pull air from the fender, outside engine bay,just the rectangular hole on the side.It should be an improvment,im certain my motor is going to need more air to breath.To take full advantage of the ported head and the header and free flow exhaust.

I do plan on bringing cold air to it later on,this is a progress in the works,I just got the motor all put together and fired up this week.

My plan as of now(always subject to change) is to cut a hole in the hood and run some material down to seal up against the outer ring of the filter housing to get the outside air.Then just put a reverse type scoop on it to keep rain and such out.Then Ill have all that surface area of this mod to pull in alot of cold air.

A similar set up to what I did on my samurai but with the scoop for airodynamics and rainy weather driving.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:20 pm 

I took a air intake tube that went from the fender to the air snorkel of 70's or 80's Full size Chevy truck and it fit over the snorkel of the Geo's snorkel and curved it around the engine and put it out the front thru the steel panel beside the radiator. Kind of a 'ram-air' setup. Noticed a difference, seems a little more pep now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:25 am 

My Geo 1 ltr actually got about 2 mpg worse FE with a freer flowing ram air set up. I have read on other forums that the STOCK 1.0s also got worse FE with the drop in K&N. This is the only car in my life that got worse FE while getting better air flow!

84 Horizon / 1760 lbs / was 17.9, now 23.0 mpg
96 Geo Metro / 1590 lbs / was 46.2, now 60 mpg!
95 Neon / unk mpg so far

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:21 pm 

yes because the PCM is sending more fuel into the engine because it tries to keep the air/fuel ratio at the default. when it has colder than usual air.

2000 Firefly 1.3 SOHC 16VALVE AUTO. Goals: full restoration, achieve stock MPG and HP or higher, finished look should be 'stealthy' and unassuming. Engine will need to be rebuilt later on to restore compression levels.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:47 am 

1995Firefly4dr wrote:
yes because the PCM is sending more fuel into the engine because it tries to keep the air/fuel ratio at the default. when it has colder than usual air.

Is there any way to adjust the PCM (whatever that is) or "trick" it into working for better mileage??

Ras :?:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:36 pm 

rasdebol wrote:
1995Firefly4dr wrote:

Is there any way to adjust the PCM (whatever that is) or "trick" it into working for better mileage??

Ras :?:

We dont want to trick the PCM. It helps the computer add the correct amt. of fuel so the engine is not damaged. Whatever the temperature. I removed the stock air tubing up to the air cleaner because of the numerous bends that reduce flow.

daily driver: red 1991 Metro 3cyl 5sp, roof rack, 8 degree advance,
got 61 mpg combined on 14" tires but i prefer 12"

completed frame up restoration: black 1994 Swift GT 5sp -- like new ! 45mpg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:38 pm 

duplicate

daily driver: red 1991 Metro 3cyl 5sp, roof rack, 8 degree advance,
got 61 mpg combined on 14" tires but i prefer 12"

completed frame up restoration: black 1994 Swift GT 5sp -- like new ! 45mpg