TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:01 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:19 pm 

Does anyone know of an adaptor (plate, flange) to allow a '92 five-speed transmission to be fitted to an '94 Firefly with an automatic transmission mount (rear of trans/left side of eng. compartm.)? I have searched the FAQ topics but can't find a topic for this.

The short duration of the garage/workshop availability means that I won't have time to fabricate one.

Please help!

Tippen
Vancouver, BC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:25 pm 

This applies to a 92 Swift (we haven't got Fireflies)
Use the manual engine mounts. The rear auto mount has to be removed to allow the manual shifter rods to fit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:58 am 

Thanks. I'm checking out problem issues before I actually immobilise the car. The auto mount on the left side of the car appears lower and further to the rear than the five-speed mount, hence my query. I'll check the rear mount as you suggest. Half-shafts are different too, I believe. I've just finished putting an '88 turbo in a 92 convertible. Beware incompatible wiring harnesses!

Love your country, by the way (visited in '05). I had far too little time to spend in Christchurch. Thoroughly enjoyed the Antarctic exhibit there, though, and the Te Papa in Wellington.

Cheers.

John

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:05 pm 

Hi John
People have two methods of removing the rear mount. The barbaric ones simply pound it flat but for the more gentile types it is possible to drill out the spot welds.
Yes, you will need manual drive shafts as the auto ones are different lengths (although one may be the same).
Another issue you may have is to drill a hole through the firewall for the clutch cable.
A donor car is "really" handy
As before all this is Swift based but will "most likely" apply to the Firefly.

Godzone as we call it isn't a bad wee place (though a tad chilly) at the mo and seems less affected than bigger countries by the global recession.

Best of luck with your swap...
Jon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:56 pm 

Thanks, Jon.

Yes, I also assume the Swift, Firefly, Metros of the same year are the same cars, but, unfortunately, the donor was an '88 and has different mounts from the '92 receiver car. I hadn't thought, before I disposed of the rusting heap, that the car-mounts would be valuable: I needed the space.

Dunedin has replaced the dales of Yorkshire as my place of mental solace.

John

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:29 pm 

You're right John - the 88 (Mk 1) series cars use a totally different system of engine/gearbox mounts. Gearboxes are totally different too compared to the later shape transmissions (at least GTi ones are).
You may have more problems ahead of you than I have solutions.
Good luck...
Dunedin is a fun place for the young - spent a year there when I was at college. It was a disaster academically but socially one of the most fun years of my life!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:10 pm 

Hi Jon,

I hope you don't mind me asking more questions (on such short acquaintance!).

You said the rear auto mount on the car needs to be (re)moved. Because there still needs to be a mounting point, after drilling out the weld and removing the mount, what did you do to re-attach it after relocating it - weld or bolt the mount?

I still don't see how the manual mounts can be used on the auto mounts on the side of the car. Can you say how that's done?

I could probably answer these questions myself if I had the luxury of an empty engine compartment and time.

If I had seen the movie, I would have gone down to Invercargill to see if there was a shrine to Harleys...

Cheers.
John

John

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:35 pm 

There are no availible mounts to put a Mark 1 (1988) trans into a newer car.
You would be much better off to go get a 1989 and up trans with mounts and have it bolt right in...as far as i know.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:00 pm 

Hi John
My comments were based on the 89+ models.
Mr Pipe is correct - you will have to custom make the mounts to fit the Mk1 motor and transmission. As he said, see if you can acquire a Mk2/3 transmission and it will be a piece of cake by comparison to what lays ahead of you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:32 pm 

John,
firstly, Dunedin is only your place of mental solace becuae you obviously did not reach the tranquil sub tropical isolated beaches of the far north.
secondly, the shrine in invercargill is the the fabled Indian scout, not Harleys.
thirdly, there is no thirdly....

But I am astounded at the number of people who cisit NZ here and in such a short time fall in lov e with it or parts of it.

I'm travelling a lot myself at present and it sure makes me appreciate what we have here. In the words of a little girl in Kansas.... "there's no place like home... There's no place like home...." now if only I didn't have to travel 2 days to get to a 5 day workshop adn two days to come home....

End of rant...

I have a rear engine mount adaptor plate for a mk1 engine into a mk2/3. for anyone who is interested. i might even draw it up and post it one day... its a piece of doddle. two thick metal plates ovelapping and WELDED TOGETHER with four holes drilled.

laters... pleased you liked Te Papa...

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.