TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:30 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The BOT
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:21 pm 

Registered users: carrotsnax, CJDavE, crnolic, dale50000, djaggs, DukeNukem, Evan, geopat, Google [Bot], truetrebol, Yahoo [Bot]

I see this all the time: Google [Bot] and Yahoo [Bot], What does these mean ????

Thanks for the answer :D :D :D :D :D :D

1985 Chevy Sprint Mk1 G10 5 Speed Sky Blue

Post subject: Re: The BOT
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:28 pm 
The Smuggler

I googled it :-P
Internet bots, also known as web robots, WWW robots or simply bots, are software applications that run automated tasks over the Internet. Typically, bots perform tasks that are both simple and structurally repetitive, at a much higher rate than would be possible for a human alone. The largest use of bots is in web spidering, in which an automated script fetches, analyses and files information from web servers at many times the speed of a human. Each server can have a file called robots.txt, containing rules for the spidering of that server that the bot is supposed to obey.

In addition to their uses outlined above, bots may also be implemented where a response speed faster than that of humans is required (e.g., gaming bots and auction-site robots) or less commonly in situations where the emulation of human activity is required, for example chat bots.

These chatterbots may allow people to ask in plain English and then formulate a proper response. These bots can often handle many tasks, including reporting weather, zip-code information, sports scores, converting currency or other units, etc. Others are used for entertainment, such as SmarterChild on AOL Instant Messenger and MSN Messenger and Jabberwacky on Yahoo! Messenger.

An additional role of IRC bots may be to lurk in the background of a conversation channel, commenting on certain phrases uttered by the participants (based on pattern matching). This is sometimes used as a help service for new users, or for censorship of profanity.

AOL Instant Messenger has now introduced a feature that allows you to make a screen name into a bot. This new feature removes the rate limit on the screen name, but it is now limited in the amount of instant messages that can be sent and received.

Keep your eye on the boost guage!
And I love this one!
"Dale Jarrett's crew chief" "Drive it like ya STOLE IT!"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:29 pm 

Quote:
Wikipedia wrote:
Googlebot is the search bot software used by Google, which collects documents from the web to build a searchable index for the Google search engine.

i guess just a bot that searches the forum for the purpose of adding what it finds to the search engine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:44 am 

Thank you guys, i now understand...... :D :D :D :D :D .......

I never thought to google it :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

1985 Chevy Sprint Mk1 G10 5 Speed Sky Blue