TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:38 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:42 am 

I was researching water injection on the net and concluded that its not of much use on a non turbo engine but all the readings gave me the idea of spraying very fine water mist near the air filer ( i have an open type ) the water mist will be sucked and moisten the paper element and high velocity air passing thru it will vaporise it and reduce the temperature of the intake air by a very large extent.

The amount of mist can be controlled so as to just be enough to cool the air and not restrict the free flow of air thru the filter by actually wetting the element.

I am gonna try this using a barbers mist spray gun nozzle and a windshield washer line as a source of water.

Will post pictures with results.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:32 pm 

What are you doing this for? Cleaning carbon or fuel economy?

• Build Video
  • 1991 4 Door Truck Conversion
  • Modified Suzuki 1.0L Engine
  • High Stall 3200 RPM Converter
  • Auto Trans with Welded Differential
  • Custom Exhaust and Intake System
  • 6" Suspension Lift & Weight Reduction
  • 27" Kenda Executioner 6 Ply ATV tires

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:35 am 

I am just back from my 700 km trip to my hometown. I tried the following on the way to & fro. Bought an IV fuild needle and tube pack with an accompanying control valve and dipped the sucking end in a 1 litre distilled water bottle. I pierced the needle in the rubber tube going into the intake manifold from PCV. Started the engine with zero water flow through the needle. Due to vaccum in the IM, water got sucked in just by trickles and I controlled the water flow by trial so that approx 1 liter water was consumed with 10 liters of gasoline.

After 100 kms of running with water system on, I noticed a marked increase in throttle response at WOT and I could acclerate much faster than before and was able to touch higher speeds in lesser time. Some guys alongside me tried to race, one was in a Ford Icon 1.6 petrol, another was a Skoda Laura diesel and still another in a Black Merc E series. To my surprise they were not able to overtake me despite their best efforts, and I ran speeds as high as 140-145 km per hour, the car was asking to go higher but I had skinny tyres (155/80-R13) so couldnt gather courage to touch further high speeds. The only cars that could overtake me were Toyota Innova Diesel SUVs. This was between Ambala New Delhi National Highway a distance of roughly 250 kms. I could do it in non stop 2 hours flat with a 5 minute break for taking a leak alongside the highway.

Not only top speeds increased, acceleration was smoothest and fastest ever I noticed on this car. havent noticed fuel consumption though as I was doing very high speeds.

Is it due to engine decarb ? Or water doing something else in the engine ? Whatever it was it did some miracle with the performance of the car. Something as cheap as water can do it I am amazed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:36 am 

Will post pictures if you need to see the arrangement.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:42 am 

SOunds Interesting... PICs???