TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:39 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:20 pm 

I was wondering if any on has hooked up a mechanical Oil Pressure gauge to the side of the head. What are these threads? It seems like the best place to have one because the Cam journals are what need oil the most. The oil pressure in the head is my main concern. Thanks in advance.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:14 pm 
Make love, not moderators

I ran my electric gauge off one of those plugs on my GT engine. The thread is a 1/8"-28 BSP . You'll need an adapter which autometer sells. I have a few kicking around if you are stuck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:10 pm 

and what was the reading? near what it should be for normal oil pressure at the block or what? also, the gauge i have is from princess auto, i know, shame on me, but it was so cheap, and electrical at that! anyways, its just for my winterbeater. i dont know what the threads are...ill check at work tomorrow though. It says it comes with the most common thread on it...what would that be?

Greg

"Life's a rally, cut corners"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:30 pm 

RotaryGreg wrote:
and what was the reading? near what it should be for normal oil pressure at the block or what? also, the gauge i have is from princess auto, i know, shame on me, but it was so cheap, and electrical at that! anyways, its just for my winterbeater. i dont know what the threads are...ill check at work tomorrow though. It says it comes with the most common thread on it...what would that be?

Greg

The most common thread size is a 1/8"-27 NPT . It is very close to the BSP but not quite.

On my old GS which I ran the gauge on at idle when first starting the car the gauge showed about 60PSI when the engine was fresh.. After the car warmed up at idle the gauge showed about 10PSI.. Many km's later with the engine broken in at idle it was just under 60 cold and around 7 warm. On my other GT I am measuring the pressure on the block and have only recently connected the gauge so I can't comment on the readings since I have yet to drive the car anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:22 pm 

how much do you want for one of those adapters? My dad might be able to get them...but i just want to know how much you might charge me for one incase my dad cant get them at his shop.

Post subject: adapter
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:40 pm 

If your dad can get them I would try that first. I looked around for awhile trying to find them but my only options were to order the Autometer ones or have the adapter made. Autometer wants like $10 each plus shipping so if your dad can get you some then I would go that route but believe me they are hard to find. Some oil pressure gauge testing kits come with them though.

I ended up buying the proper tap and die and getting them made since the tool I needed to machine one was less then what autometer wanted for one and I could get as many as I wanted/needed.

If you want one I will check to see how many I have left. SprintDan wants one but I am not going to leave myself short since I need one more for the turbo going on the car and another for my Aerio. If there is any leftover you are welcome to one.

If your dad is going to find one he needs a 1/8"-28 BSP (male) to a 1/8"-27 NPT (female)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:10 pm 

Okay, ill have my dad look tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:11 pm 

I had my dad order one. He had to get it from autometer. the only ones who sell them. I got it fro 9 bucks CND, which is better than 10 US plus shipping....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:11 am 
King of Pompous

Found this thread amidst the murk...good enough for FAQ status :P.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:27 pm 
#1 in locked posts

So what about the plug between the water outlet housing and the distributor? Has anyone used that for a mechanical hook-up? (I personally don't like electric reliability).

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:53 pm 

i was wondering if there was any better place to hook one up on a mk 1. i have an oil pressure gauge from summit, and the sending unit is huge, and will barely fit in the stock position.

1988 Chevrolet Sprint (Forsa clone) 3Tech cam and underdrive pulley, MSD 8mm wireset, shaved head, Weber 32/36 carb, Honda short shifter, KYB Gr2 suspension, Summit tach and gauges, Pilot steering wheel, NEW! Summit Multi-spark CDI
Project Page
1993 Geo Metro Only mods so far are a Honda short shifter, Glowshift tach and a 3a Racing ricer muffler (freebie)
Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:33 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

Your sending unit should be remote located. Here's why:
http://www.theoldone.com/articles/oilpressure/

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:53 pm 
King of Pompous

Bringing this back up from the dead...

I installed my gauge using the port in the side of the head and pressure reading is 50PSI at start up and after its warm I'm basicaly sitting on 0 at idle. Needle moves very slowly (driving on the highway has at about 20psi) too. I think that it could be because of the area I'm tapped into. The gauge is mechanical so I think grabbing the pressure from an area nearer to the sender may be manadatory to get a good reading. Hopefully I'll have time in the next couple of days to test it out near the factory sensor and see if it works better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:49 am 

what type of oil are you running?

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:10 pm 
King of Pompous

10w30 Synthetic Mobil1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:50 pm 

you ever think of running 5W50 synthetic? I've been running that for the winter and my next oil change I might go back to 10W30 synthetic but don't know yet.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:09 pm 
King of Pompous

Never really thought of it. Always have gone with the 10w30. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try it though...I'm due for an oil change soon. Car never drives in the winter and is strictly a summer vehicle though. I was hoping to relocate the oil line today but never got around to it...maybe Thursday :P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:12 pm 

Try using a heavier oil first 10W50 or 5w50 synthetic and then see if that make a difference on the gauge first. If that doesn't then change it locations.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:54 am 

You should be seeing over 50 PSI at 3000 using 10w-30 on a warm engine. Thicker oil shouldn't be necessary to get that pressure. I hope it's just the gauge location. :wink:

1991 Swift - Parts car (gone)
1990 Swift - Parts car
1997 Metro - Parts car (gone)
1993 Metro - Parts car
1989 Swift GTi - Parts car
1998 Metro - Parts car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:55 pm 

He has his gauge in the head, same oil port the lifters get oil I believe. In the side of the block it will always read higher.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:59 pm 
King of Pompous

Just thought I would update. Relocated the oil line to the factory location and now pressure is reading properly. I guess the head just doesn't see nearly as much pressure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:58 pm 

i hate to drag this topic up but i didnt want to start a thread over it.
i just picked up a multi gauge set from walmart (made by equus, in china :P ) and it came with a bunch of extra fittings. one of them is
1/8-28 BSP
the gauge set only cost me 20 bucks(compared to the 10$ oil gauge with only one fitting included)
so from what i understand here i should be able to use this without drilling and tapping the oil sender hole, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:58 pm 

I believe I have that gauge set and yes, the adapter allows it to be connected in place of the pressure switch - the problem with that approach is that you need to keep an eye on the gauge, since you have no low oil pressure light.

One of threads on this forum shows how to connect a flex line to a T that feeds both the guage and the switch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:50 pm 

n1tr0 wrote:
does anyone actually know what sort of signal the stock sender unit puts out .. & any reason why it couldn't be used to feed info to both the stock warning light & an electronic gauge ? that area's a bit warm to be reaching in with my multimeter ..

You can do it, but u should use the same gauge & sensor to get accurate reading, I used Honda sensor with auto meter gauge and it wasn't showing proper figures.

Second it's good to put oil pressure in the engine head in GTi as the genuine sensor is a not a good thing at all. It's showing u oil pressure from oil pump and before oil filter, that means, one:
If r engine is loosing pressure at main bearings it won’t show u anything and by the time r light will come on it will be too late for r engine. I had it one time with swift and was thinking why that light came that late ....the engine was gone even the engine head was seized all the way...
In most cars the oil pressure sensor is placed where the oil is returning to the oil pump again from engine head ...and will give u immediate warning ..
Second : if u have remote oil filter or oil cooler it won't show u any pressure drop as well so it's better to put extra sensor in the oil filter return ( next to where stock sensor )

hope i do make sense