TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:54 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: head gasket questions
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:56 am 

i have multiple head gaskets, some new some used, some oem some aftermarket.

the question is why does the gasket cover one of the main oil holes that goes from the block to head.
there are two big oil holes on each side of the engine, one is uncovered and one is 3/4 covered.
do i need to open up the one side of the gasket or leave as is.

the oem suzuki gaskets and the aftermarket ones have this same style. it may be normal.

i have had no problems with this nor have i ever noticed it before.

any insight?
thanks

Last edited by tetsuoironman on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:01 pm 

no matter i guess. just curious.

was rebuilding the gt motor and happened to notice how the headgasket was.

motor back in car, so no biggy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:56 pm 

The oil return paths are covered/restricted to act as a restrictor.

You need the oil restrictor if you leave the holes covered. If you lose the restrictor, you have to open those holes up, but then you do cause the bottom end to get slightly less oil pressure, and the top end to get more.

I ran a modified headgasket because I misplaced my restrictor, I did a few hard 5 to 6 grand pulls in gear, and drove around without down shifting, and I never puffed blue.

But as with everything, YMMV.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:41 pm 

i rebuilt my 1.0,opened up said holes-and motor smoked like crazy at 4000 + rpm---finally traced it to the holes i opened up in the head gasket;too much blow-by mixed with engine oil pushed upwards,then thru pcv system,making her smoke.also,3 different types of h.gaskets,mine was right BUT i modified it (thinking of more oil drainback)only to allow higher amounts of blow-by thru to head(those 2 holes are actually vents for the block,motor is tilted forward enuf that oil doesnt go down them)small holes in h.gasket regulate crankcase pressure.CHECK BALL/ANTI-DRAINBACK VALVE in block slows high pressure oil from pump to head,as well as acts to keep oil in the top of the motor when shut down(pumps up lifters quicker)

now i am waiting to get some parts back from 3-tech,and i wont be modifying mt next headgasket :mrgreen: GOOD LUCK,HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEWHAT!!!

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:40 am 

i did not modify the gasket. i was just wondering if i should.

like i said earlier, i had never noticed the smaller hole.

thanks for the input

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:51 am 

blueturbofly wrote:
i rebuilt my 1.0,opened up said holes-and motor smoked like crazy at 4000 + rpm---finally traced it to the holes i opened up in the head gasket;too much blow-by mixed with engine oil pushed upwards,then thru pcv system,making her smoke.also,3 different types of h.gaskets,mine was right BUT i modified it (thinking of more oil drainback)only to allow higher amounts of blow-by thru to head(those 2 holes are actually vents for the block,motor is tilted forward enuf that oil doesnt go down them)small holes in h.gasket regulate crankcase pressure.CHECK BALL/ANTI-DRAINBACK VALVE in block slows high pressure oil from pump to head,as well as acts to keep oil in the top of the motor when shut down(pumps up lifters quicker)

now i am waiting to get some parts back from 3-tech,and i wont be modifying mt next headgasket :mrgreen: GOOD LUCK,HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEWHAT!!!

I still don't get that, I think someone fucked up your motor. The only time I ended up with enough crank case pressure to fire the oil out of the PCV system, was when the headgasket let go, and the piston snapped, and it almost blew the seals out. I had coolant in the oil and I had brand new 500km oil looking like it put 8000km on it.

I was pushing 250psi per cylinder, and the only other change I made was I deleted the actual pcv valve, and just used the breather under the cover.

There are many others who have modified the headgaskets without issue.

So I think you had a ring sealing issue, which was the result of:

A) not changing the rings
B) Not honing the cylinder
C) Not measuring and actually having out of spec cylinder bore dimensions
D) All of the above
E) Something else that let the turbo literally suck the oil right out of the engine, eg: bad turbo seals

I had no restrictor, and I had NO oil on top of my throttle body. :huh:

The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:45 pm 

1)MOTOR WAS RE-BUILT AT A REPUTABLE MACHINE SHOP(SHORT BLOCK) GUY WORKING ON MOTOR IS A TURBO GURU.
2)ALL NEW RINGS.BEARINGS.CYLINDERS HONED.NO OUT OF TAPER/ROUND.
3)NO DECK WARPAGE.5 THOU REMOVED FROM BLOCK/DECK TO ENSURE A PERFECT SEAL.
4)NO OIL/ANTIFREEZE MIXING TAKING PLACE (AGAIN,PERFECT SEAL)
5)MOTOR STILL SMOKED EVEN AFTER REMOVING TURBO COMPLETLY FROM ENGINE.
6)THE ONLY PART I MODIFIED ON THIS BUILD WAS THE HEAD GASKET.
i know the guy who did my work for me,i trust his work.I got all the old parts back,he was surprised that there was not much wear on all the internals for a motor that had almost 250,000+kms on it(main reason for re-build was blown h-gasket,too much boost,bad turbo/wastegate.
we both are stumped as to why opening the holes would make that much of a difference;but in his re-building database for 1.0 88-92 it refers to 'smoky engines after rebuild',points out that the small holes in h/gasket RESTRICT the flow of crank-case blow-by,some h/gaskets by different manufactures have larger holes,too much blow-by or internal pressure causes them to smoke.
BUT if that was the case why not push oil back up the oil returns at the front of motor with proper gaket installed?dont know.
ALL I DID WAS OPEN UP THE HEAD GASKET,AND IT SMOKED LIKE CRAZY,THE ONLY MOD I DID TO THIS MOTOR.
took another 1.0 turbo apart for fun,it has SMALL holes in h/gasket,my next one will be put togethor that same way(small holes)
:roll: sorry about the novel,i'm now back at work,4 months behind,30+vehicles to inspect 4 safetys,2 week window :(

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:41 pm 

I still say it's wierd, and no worries, a thorough description is always welcome.

Mine should have pushed oil through the PCV system worse than a stock turbo engine.

The only changes to that system I made are:

1: deletion of pcv, no manifold sucky sucky

2: I used the Japanese valve cover, so no bump.

3: Lack of oil restrictor.

I went from 200psi raw, to 250psi after 500km. So I had some pretty hefty blow by happening while my rings were seating.

You had the restrictor in place... So I can't figure it out, I had more oil and probably more blowby gas firing through.... :huh:

Just one of those things I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:27 pm 

yeah,some weird shit with that set-up.wont be doing that again;i spent 3 months putting it togethor right,painted parts,s.steel bolts/nuts,new hoses,hand polished aluminum parts,etc,etc,etc to install it and have it smoke like crazy.....i wanted to push it off into the corner but on the other hand i wanted to find out what was screwed up....plus more money out of pocket....well,if you play you pay!!! =)

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:15 am 

blueturbofly wrote:
yeah,some weird shit with that set-up.wont be doing that again;i spent 3 months putting it togethor right,painted parts,s.steel bolts/nuts,new hoses,hand polished aluminum parts,etc,etc,etc to install it and have it smoke like crazy.....i wanted to push it off into the corner but on the other hand i wanted to find out what was screwed up....plus more money out of pocket....well,if you play you pay!!! =)

Yup Yup

I did the same, I statically balanced all the rotating parts. Used some engineering sample pistons straight from the supposed to be destroyed vault, and ended up blowing one of the pistons apart, almost made me cry. :(

Ah wells, besides I was rocking 250psi of compression and I had no spark knock. I learned how to machine a combustion chamber atleast... :lol: