TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:22 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Radiator fan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:00 pm 

Why does the radiator fan (AC on) runs for 20 seconds and stops for 3 to 4 seconds before starting back up again when idle? Is it normal? Or is there a fault in it?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Radiator fan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:03 pm 

this is normal

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:59 am 

Does it affect the performance of the car. We recently moved to Malaysia and purchased the Swift which I believe it is an older, even it is brand new here, comparing to other countries in Europe. It is 1.5 VVT automatic. We have had it for a couple of weeks now and have a feeling that it is consuming alot that is full tank for 430km. Is that normal? I thought I could get much more kms out of the tank. Or is it something to do with the radiator fan??? I am so sorry for silly questions as you can tell I dont know much about car

Thanks in advance

Sukan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:13 pm 

Fuel consumption varies depending on where and how you drive. If you are mainly driving in the city you will not get as good fuel mileage. Being an automatic also decreases mileage. 430km with an automatic doing all in city driving I don't think is all that bad. These gas tanks aren't very big. It would also depend on how you drive. If you have a heavy foot (always pressing the pedal to the floor accelerating) will reduce your milage too.

That said, I can't really say if it is good for your circumstance because my driving conditions may be very different from yours. A question I would have is: how many liters does it take to fill it? I'm guessing you probably have about a 45L tank. If a fill is only around 35L then your tank isn't empty when you fill and 430Km doesn't seem that bad.

Fill your car and drive it until you think it's near empty then let us know how many km you drove and how many liters it takes to refill your car.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:13 pm 

With the 3 speed transmission my average distance on a full tank is 550KM 70% hwy

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:03 pm 

Thank you guys. And Top Down, you are right about filling the tank. It takes about 35 to 37 to fill the tank, so I guess it is normal as I am doing most of the time city drive with Air-con on.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:38 am 

I've found that in most cases, the fuel guages in these cars go well below the E line before they run out of fuel. If you really want to know how far a tank will get you. Fill it up, then when you get down below a quarter tank, carry a gas can with you and wait until it runs out. That's what I did and was very surprised how far I went when I thought it was empty.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:36 am 

Thanks again. I will try that and see how far I can go

Thanks