TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:11 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:11 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

This FAQ covers general laws and info on importing vehicles into Canada

The general rules regarding vehicles imported from countries other than the US are:
Canadian Government wrote:
The Motor Vehicle Safety Act and Regulations require that all vehicles imported into Canada comply, at the time of importation, with the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in effect on the date the vehicle was manufactured. Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to this rule are vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the vehicle was manufactured and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971.

In other words, you can freely import any 15 year old vehicle from any country (other than USA), and it doesn't need to comply with Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

The rules are a little different if you wish to import a vehicle from the US. To begin with, the vehicle must be on Transport Canada's List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States. Vehicles from the US can be modified to meet compliance for minor things like bumpers, instrumentation, daytime running lights etc. The only exception to this rule is vehicles that have seatbelt anchors not complying with Canadian safety standards. Vehicles with non-complying seatbelt anchors can NOT be modified to meet complience, and thus are not eligible for importation.

If you want to bring in a vehicle that is *newer* than 15 years, it must:
  • comply with Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
  • carry designation stating it complies with Canadian market safety standards
  • not be modified to meet compliance

Q: How is the vehicle age determined?
A: By month and year of manufacturing.

Q: Are there any exceptions to these laws?:
A: yes,
  • if you are in Canada with a student or work visa, you can bring your car with you during your stay. It does not have to meet any regulations, but it cannot be sold or disposed while here.
  • an otherwise non-compling vehicle can theoretically be brought into Canada if you can convince the vehicle's manufacturer to write a letter stating that it complies with Canadian Vehicle Safety Standards.
  • a competition-only vehicle can be imported regardless of age for competition use only. This only applies to factory built race cars, but not to street cars that have been converted. Race vehicles must be accompanied by a letter from an official race sanctioning body declaring the car as a competition vehicle

Q: Can I bring a JDM vehicle that has already been complianced and is street legal in the US?
A: No, all JDM vehicles were never made for the North American market. The US *does* allow you to modify a vehicle to meet it's own regulatory compliance. Even if it was modified to meet US regulations, Canada will look at the market the vehicle was intended for to determine its elligability for importation. Although you can't import it here, you can drive it here (as long as you're not planning on selling or disposing of it here)

Q: What vehicles can I import from the US?
A:
  • vehicles made for the North American market
  • vehicles approved for importation (based on Canadian safety standards)
  • vehicles older than 15 years.

Q: What Suzuki vehicles can I import from the US?
A: This is a list of all admissible suzuki vehicles from the US (as of 2005):
1989 SWIFT
1995 TO 2001 SWIFT
1995 TO 2002 ESTEEM
2004 VERONA
2002 TO 2005 AERIO
ALL OTHER SUZUKI PASSENGER CAR MODELS ARE INADMISSIBLE.
(note that the 1989 Swift is 16 years old as of 2005)

Q: Isn't the 1990 Swift now 15 years old? Can I import it too?
A: Due to seat belt anchorage issues, US model Swifts between 1990 and 1994 cannot be imported.

Q: What vehicles can I import from Japan?
A: Only vehicles 15 years or older

Q: Is it legal to have a right-hand drive vehicle here?
A: yes, some provinces may require a sign on the back of the vehicle alerting other drivers that your vehicle is RHD.

Q: What would happen if I snuck in a non-compling vehicle?
A: It is *illegal* to import vehicles contrary to the vehicle importation laws. In the event of an accident, you insurance would be voided, and you would have a number of serious criminal charges to answer to. In addition you would also have to pay for export or dispose of such an illegal vehicle.

Links:
Canadian Vehicle Importation Companies:
http://www.mustang.bc.ca
http://www.jns-imports.com/
http://www.scimotors.com
http://www.cannonball-r.com

Importing a Vehicle into Canada:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/menu.htm
List of Admissible Vehicles from the United States:
http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf
Importing Vehicles into Canada from countries other than the United States:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/impxus_e.htm
Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV):
http://www.riv.ca/
How to Import a Vehicle into Canada:
http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

[EDIT] updated for year 2005

maybe a picture Thanks

Last edited by Lihtan on Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:07 pm 

March 2005 there will be two 1990 Nissan R32 GTR Skylines in the Tri-city area :)

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:11 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

You can legally import the 1989 R32's October 2004. Kinda makes we wonder if I should turn my Swift into a money pit, or get a Skyline for $10K :?

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:23 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

skylines are NOTHING like the swift .. they're a very HEAVY solid driving car, sort of like a japanese version of a newer ford mustang, but with a very solid quality build.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:18 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

Yes, I know all about big heavy cars, I've driven my brother's MK3 Supra many times (3400 lbs, 230 hp). For all the lack of power my Swift has, it is still loads more fun to drive because of its really light weight.
The R32 Skyline is the lightest of all GTR models. (3100 lbs, 280 hp, AWD). The RB-26 engine, like the 2JZ, is one of the single most indestructable import engines ever made. There are vehicles pushing over 700 hp with just a turbo swap and upgraded fuel management. There's something really cool about having six exhaust ports all in a row all going into one big turbo... 8)

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:49 am 

Not to mention the larger wheel flares, the all wheel steering and a 0-60 in 4.7 seconds and picking up chicks with a right hand drive vehicle. My cousin is convinced he will be getting one, and hell if he imports one that means I can import something for a smaller shiping fee along with him(container as opposed to drive aboard). For $10 000 Cad, you cant really go wrong with a gtr can you. I have acctualy seen them for sale on the yahoo auction site in Japan for cheaper then that 50 000-75000 yen. Plus how many have you ever seen in real life in Canada? I have saw one r32 when I was in Daytona beach, wasnt a gtr either.

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 8:09 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

The R32 Skylines are the performance bargain of the century (other than buying a sport bike). Owning a Skyline puts you into the supercar league. You'll be hanging with Supras, RX-7s, Evos, WRXs, Porsches, Lambos, Ferraris and the occasional Viper.
I have actually seen several Skylines myself. That might seem strange being that I live in Canada. The first few were vehicles from Washington that made appearances at car shows. The next few... well lets say they got me motivated to learn all about vehicle importation laws...
Several months ago in the fall of 2003, I was at a government auction warehouse in Surrey, when I spotted these *two* red vehicles which caught my attention at the back of the vehicle storage lot. I go in for a closer look... It couldn't be! - They are! OMFG!! These are TWO R33 Nissan Skylines sitting in an auction lot in Surrey! :shock: I immediatly reached for my cellphone, I couldn't contain my excitement. I had to tell someone. I called one of friends "Dude, you're gonna think I'm bullshitting you, but I swear to God I'm not" was how the call started.. :wink:
I looked around a little more and remembered that I had a camera in the car. I snapped a bunch of pictures and soon afterwards one of the workers that auction house came up and told me I wasn't supposed be behind the yellow line at the back of the yard. I asked him about how I would go about aquiring these cars. He told me that they would likely end up as an expot-only auction.
These vehicles actually sat in the back lot for a few months, in that time I read up on all the Canadian vehicle importation laws. Long story short, there is no way these cars could legally be put on the road. Being that they were R33 models it would be at least 7 years before they could be legally imported. I'm pretty sure that those Skylines ended up in that lot because someone was trying to sneak them into the country and got busted by customs. The Skylines are no longer on the lot.
Here's the pictures I took:

Two red R33 Nissan Skyline GTS models. Current laws prevent me from adopting orphans left on my doorstep. Sorry guys, I really would like to take both of you home.

GT emblem, and are those snowtires?

Don't you wish you were flashing these taillights at someone? (note remains of JDM backlit license plate)

Interior, radio is often removed from vehicles being exported from Japan

Firewall plate, vehicle is equipped with an RB-25 DET engine (2.5 liter, 250 hp, single turbo)

Engine, RB-26 should fit fine in here, although you can still have a lot of fun with the RB-25

Detail of factory turbo timer

Instruments, camera angle is obscuring last digit of odometer, distance is actually 60000 kms. Both cars had similar mileage. I question why the speedo only goes to 180, this car's top speed is rated at 266 kph. Update: I've learned many Japanese vehicles have 180 kph speed governors. I guess mod number 1 would be a Fuel Cut Defensor.

Detail of Skyline logo door sill

links:
Canadian forum for future skyline enthusiasts:
http://www.gtrcanada.com/

maybe a picture Thanks

Last edited by Lihtan on Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: UNCOMMON
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:20 pm 

the first GTR coming to Canada that I know about will be this fall.... I got pics if you wanna see it. or get ahold of me in Sept. for a lookieloo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:01 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

lookieloo=test drive? :wink:

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:38 pm 
I LOVE Skylines. I used to be a Nissan freak but gave up after their piss poor marketing in NA. Nissan makes some great cars. Unfortunately, they're not imported into the US... Some have snuck into the US. Front halves show up here in Maryland (Port of Baltimore) on a semi regular basis. However, I don't know where they go.

Post subject: 15 years
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:31 am 

the fifteen year rule is up for the well known Gtr... I am not sure of the US import laws, the only reason for my getting lucky is a friend in Japan.
Other than that I would be paying the prices everyone else will be. It has been alot of work for the DIY guys out their and I wish everyone luck in getting their Dream Car into there possession.

Good Luck and I will contact some of the locals interested when the time is here. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:46 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

In the US you have to wait 25 years to be able to import vehicles not meeting US motor vehicle regulations. Unlike Canada, you are permitted to modify an imported vehicle to meet compliance. Hence the existance of companies like Motorex which if you pay them enough, will get you a US street-legal Skyline. After redtape and conversion costs it's easy for a complianced Skyline to cost $70000.
I've heard that the EPA recently withdrew emissions approval for certain Skyline models. In the US anyways, the future is looking darker for street-legal Skylines. In Canada, every year that passes allows us to import newer and newer Skylines. I wouldn't be surprised that in several years the Canadian Skyline scene looks something like Australia's. Canada could be the Skyline capitol of North America! :D

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:09 am 
banned

I know of a rhd drive levin ae86 coupe that was gotten here

http://www.importconcern.ca

I might buy a 4 dr r32

SMILE :D

they have been established in early 2004 late 2003

Swift GT
Swift GTI
FireFly Turbo 3 cyl
Isuzu IMARK RS N/A 1.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:37 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

When JDM vehicles are freighted to Canada, the closest seaport is Vancouver. Because of this, there's actually quite a few shops in the Lower Mainland that are now dealing with JDM imported cars. This has a lot to do with the cost savings of not having to ship vehicles across the continent to maintain inventory. 8) Some local JDM dealers:
http://www.scimotors.com
http://www.mustang.bc.ca
http://www.cannonball-r.com

BTW,1990 JDM vehicles will now be eligible for importation this year too.

maybe a picture Thanks