TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:47 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:13 am 

OK, I am at my wits end.

MK2 GTi, has a very very intermitent noise up front right (remember, our drivers side...)
Very much like metal on metal, I would even say very much like a panel tapping noise.
It is not speed related, it is not acceleration related.
I thought it was related to the velocity of air going into the intake.....
It "can" happen when going over bumps, not always.
It can happen when accelerating hard out, not always. (also get the sound of "air pressure" when accelerating hard over REAL bumpy roads, suspension skip....

What have I done about it?

Checked running gear, all sweet
Pulled the front right inner guards off.
Removed the dorky air box under there.
Pulled off lower flywheel plastic panel guard (thought this was it, it was only held on by three panel pins)
Secured number plate.
Checked rigidity of all panels around that area.
After much searching and reading, reading and searching :roll:

The closest I can get to is a thread regarding Koni Shocks losing a bolt that holds the strut in...
I run KYB's.
Hold on, Remember that air pressure noise as the suspension lifts on bumpy roads or around corners?

IS there a correlation?

Tell me oh guru's What path to take?

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:01 am 

for the metal to metal sound, do you have the rubber hood bushings all installed? the two up front at each side twist up and down to adjust hood height and preload the hood latch mechanism to keep the hood from rattling.grab the hood while latched and see if you can push down or pull up to get any movement.and then their are a minimum of two along the fender rail to steady the hood at the sides.
also make sure the front bumper cover has all the little screws in it that attach it to the bumper support. :) hope that helps good luck!!

here is my sig. karma if you look

Dattman wrote:
If you want big wheels buy a tractor...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:39 pm 

Thanks for the tips, but.... been there, done that...

hood is fone, alll the "visible" screws are tight and I can't get a panel to move for quids...

I am off today on an overnight road trip to go to my sisters Wedding (found out about it on Sunday... SURPRISE....) I was hope to resolve it before I get on the road for a 1200 km round trip.

Ahhh well, I'll just have to find the sweet spot.... Some of you may think 1200 km's is a doddle. Remember, in NZ the longest piece of straight I will probably encounter may be 3 or 4 kms...

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

Post subject: .....
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:01 pm 

Checked your steering column, steering rack, sway bar, front right CV, front right wheel bearings and also wheel nuts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:51 pm 

so ,lp, i was messing with my car today and i noticed the sheild next to the rad had a broken mounting tab. maybe you could check that. :)

here is my sig. karma if you look

Dattman wrote:
If you want big wheels buy a tractor...

Post subject: Re: .....
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:28 pm 

OzMidnight wrote:
Checked your steering column, steering rack, sway bar, front right CV, front right wheel bearings and also wheel nuts?

And OZ wins the chocolate fish. After the road trip, I worked out it is a combination of slight acceleration AND bumps. The slight acceleration takes the load off just enough for something to rattle.

The problem is a combination of worn shock and the steering rack. I would've sworn it sounded like panel tap....
Now, I happen to have a spare steering rack on my mk3 4 door parts car... its a power steering rack... but I don't have a power steering pump!. If anyone can show me pics of how the pump is mounted and connected, I would be forever grateful....(and so would her indoors... it is her car after all...)

Cheers

LP