TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:57 am 

Ok so i got in my 92 swift gt last night to fire it up i put the key in and go to turn it and i can't move it, it wouldnt budge now like 3 hours ago before i was driving the car everything was fine so im think the key cylinder might have froze?? it was only 0C - 1C i didnt have ne time to try wd40 but i did try two keys for my car and neither of them worked is it possible for it to freeze or something to break inside although the key was turning fine 3 hours before this happend, anyone have ne problems like this??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:40 am 

check if the steering wheel is turned and the lock mechanism is in a bind ,from the pressure of the wheels wanting to turn back straight. if it is just pull on the steering wheel to relieve the pressure on the key mechanism.

here is my sig. karma if you look

Dattman wrote:
If you want big wheels buy a tractor...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:25 am 

ya the steering wheel wasnt locked when i was trying to turn the key so i locked it hoping to wiggle the wheel to see if it would turn but it wouldnt that wasnt the problem but i know what u guys are talking about thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:50 pm 

nah i know the autos have that but mine is a 5 speed it was working fine i dont understand can something break inside the key cylinder? i got it to turn once but it was like blind luck...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:43 pm 
MuE Patient Zero/The Link Man

Mine did exactly the same thing , every once in a while just wouldn't turn.

my solution was to dig up the spare key i had, and the problems vanished..

i took a look at the two keys and the older one, that i had been using was about 1/2 a milimeter thinner on some of the cumpy parts of the key pattern... it doesn't seem like a lot, but it cool be the difference be starting and not...

be sure to spray some WD40 or lubricant in there as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:47 pm 

they have really weak lock cylinders, its real comon for tumbler to jam and break a key off. about only way to fix it if this is case is remove it and take it to a locksmith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:01 pm 

Crvett69 wrote:
they have really weak lock cylinders, its real comon for tumbler to jam and break a key off. about only way to fix it if this is case is remove it and take it to a locksmith

After eight years of use not just as a daily driver, but as a service vehicle, which translates to a dozen or more short trips daily, I have no problems with my ignition switch - and believe me I have worn out the lock cylinders on other vehicles.

If you're having problems breaking keys when/if the lock jams - it's not a sign of a weak lock cylinder, but rather a worn key - notice which one of the two is breaking? The keys wear, not just on the peaks & valleys, but also on the flat sides, becoming noticeably thinner.

A couple of hints to make it last longer - instead of using the original key, cut a duplicate and use the duplicate - keep the original to be used as a master pattern, and replace the key you're using when the cylinder shows any sign of sticking.

You can also try not to have too many things on the key chain, the idea being to reduce the weight hanging on the lock cylinder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:06 pm 

ok well i went and got a new key cut and it didnt work i was lookin at the cylinder and how do u take it off it looks like its pressed on to the steering colom so should i take the whole steering colom to a lock smith or should i order an original key from the dealer? or would that be an arm and a leg? so far ive tried three different keys ment for this car and none work only rarly will i get it to work... so what do u guys think is my best solution??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:07 pm 

both of the locksmiths i deal with say the ignition cyl are really weak in the 89-94 metro. they end up rebuilding a lot of them. its not always the key, the tumblers slots wear and key won't turn it and then they snap key off trying to turn it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:21 pm 

do locksmiths come to your house im gonna look for some tomorrow would they come to the house to take a look at it or remove the cylinder and repair it cause i dont wanna get another steering coloum with a new key so then i have two keys one to open door and one to start car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:23 pm 

costs a lot more if they make a house call, i usually just take the ignition switch in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:25 pm 

how do you remove it mine looks like the bolt holding to the steering coloum are pressed on there are no heads or bolts to grab on to...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:27 pm 

they are bolts with the heads snapped off. if you can get hacksaw in there and cut slots in them you can unscrew them with a screwdriver. or you can use a hammer and punch to loosen them then unscrew with pliers. once you get them out cut slot and put them back in with big screwdriver. electrical part comes out the back with 1 screw or you and unplug it in fuse box

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:38 pm 

SSGTi12345 wrote:
do locksmiths come to your house im gonna look for some tomorrow would they come to the house to take a look at it or remove the cylinder and repair it cause i dont wanna get another steering coloum with a new key so then i have two keys one to open door and one to start car.

i bought my vert from a junk yard and they had a number of a locksmith on thier wall.he was very cheap,even comming to my house. i think being assosiated with a junk yard is why he was cheap. maybe you could try a few yards in your area.

here is my sig. karma if you look

Dattman wrote:
If you want big wheels buy a tractor...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:31 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

keywords: DIY locksmithing, lock smith, lock smithing, key, blank, rekey, re-key, rekeying, re-keying

You should be able to just give the locksmith your VIN number and have a key cut. This will make a new key, but it won't compensate for lock wear. If you want to compensate for lock wear, the best way is to do your own locksmithing:

• buy a new key blank
• take your lock apart, set the tumblers aside in ascending order
• use a marker and darken the edge of the key blade
• insert the blank into the lock and mark the tumbler boundaries with a scribe inserted through the tumbler holes
• using jeweler's files (or my favorite a Dremel on low speed with a cut off wheel), start filing your first notch.
• insert the tumber back into the lock that corresponds with the notch you're filing.
• frequently test the keyblank and compare the distance that the tumbler still protrudes above the shear line
• once the tumbler goes flush with the shear line, start filing the next notch

Things to watch out for:
• make sure your notch is wide enough so that the tumbler completely descends into it
• only worry about the depth of the notch first, initially when you test your key, it will jam. This is normal, just dump the tumbler out and the key will slide out
• once all the notches are cut, smooth down the rest of the protrusions so that the key now slides cleanly in and out of the key way

Also mentioned in other threads:
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?p=45294#45294
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?p=108394#108394

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:27 am 

thanks for all the info guys really appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:24 am 

the wd 40 may free the cylinder but the best lubricant for key cylinders is graphite lube, can be had at most hardware stores. spray some in and try to work your cylinder with your key copy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:39 pm 

not sure dealer can cut a key in 92 by serial number. most comapanies didn;t start that till about 96. what you can do though is pull pass side door lock out. the key code is stamped on it and locksmith can cut a key from that code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:47 pm 

well i called a locksmith in my area and he is soooo certain thats its the key is worn out so im brining him my passenger key cylinder and hes gonna cut me a key with the code. he said if that doesn't work then he'll fix the cylinder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:31 pm 

this locksmith needed the key cylinder code also just incase it isnt the key hes gonna fix it either way.. for the same price.