TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:19 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Heater Core 91 Geo Metro
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:44 pm 

I have a pretty good amount of anti freeze on the passenger side
floorboard of my Geo Metro has anyone replaced their heater core lately
in a year similar to mine? & how hard of a job is it ? Approx Time?

Thanks Howard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:52 pm 
Cpt. caps lock in remission

i have the Suzuki service manuals. the book shows a couple designs,the heater core has to come out from under the dash. are you sure the heater cores leaking? check your hoses at the firewall to make sure clamps are ok and tight. do not kow how much time,book does not say. drain rad, remove glove box lid,defroster hoses from heater case,disconnect heater control cables,pull out center vents,ashtray upper plate,check for other screws that may be hidden. basicly i pulled the dash to do mine, was not that bad to do, [did it twice] once just for the radio install. you need to separte the heater cases,then pull the core out. watch your heater mode doors,make sure they kinda stay in place. really it's not that bad to do. figure couple hrs to remove and replace. TURBOFLY :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:30 pm 

I took the heater box out of my parts car and it took me around 45 minutes to take the dash and heater box out. Take a day, start in the morning, stay organized and you'll be fine :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:38 am 

I did the heater core in the 89 LSi in 2 hours taking my time dealing with cheap suzi screws that would strip out. Where in Indianapolis are you located? I'm 20 min from the east side. Also a/c or no a/c? it makes a big difference.

This is my hooptie, there are many like it but this one is mine. With out my hooptie I am walking and without me my hooptie is broken down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:44 pm 

Thanks for all the replies, & info
I live approx. 21st & Arlington.

Howard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:52 pm 

I forgot to mention it is an A/C car but when I bought it there was no
belt running to the ac unit & considering the age and the look of the unit etc. I don't think it was in working order so I just removed the A/C
unit from the firewall out I don't think it was worth trying to convert to the new style etc. Thanks Howard

Also if anybody wants it I didn't just rip it out it is boxed up & ready to ship for free if somebody wants to pay for shipping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:14 pm 

Give you the same deal I give everyone else. I work for pizza and beer... And I'm off work tommorow and saturday. Autozone on the 9000 block of east washington st normally has it in stock. I'm sure we can do it in under 3 hours if you got tools.

This is my hooptie, there are many like it but this one is mine. With out my hooptie I am walking and without me my hooptie is broken down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:06 pm 
Suzuki Elder

geez! you guys better wear your long johns. it's cold as the proverbial balls on a brass monkey here in columbus.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:09 pm 

Quote:
I work for pizza and beer

shoot, you wana help me take the heater core out of an 89 lincoln towncar tomorrow :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:10 pm 
Suzuki Elder

it's be a helluva' lot warmer in florida than it is up here! 18 degrees f tonight and a high of 30 f with snow tomorrow in indianapolis and columbus. :twisted:

the cold wind was blowing up me arse today while i was potting around with my new suzuki sport rims in the driveway. goodbye warm sun, hello ice and snow! :roll:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:11 pm 
Cpt. caps lock in remission

IT AIN'T COLD THERE! -25c here. 12.5" of snow. windchill at -32c. skin freezes in 5 mins... come up here and have some fun! we drive on the lakes and rivers with our cars.....studded tires and all... no speed limits on rivers.....no police will take thier cars on them.. 18f is a walk in the park with a short sleeve shirt on.. :lol: have a heater core blow out here and watch the INSIDE of your windows frost over. lots of fun. TURBOFLY :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:21 am 

Well I've probably spent about 4 to 5 hours trying to get to the heater core. I drained some of the coolant pulled one of the heater hoses off one still won't come off I guess I'll have to cut it off, pulled ash tray out,
steering wheel and column is out, bottom part of dash is loose, 2 heater control cables are off & some misc. electrical plug ins are disconnected.
That is as far as I have got. There is obviously something holding the top part of the dash in I can't see any screws up that far. What a pain in the @$$ you'd think those jerk off engineers could put an access panel in the side of the heater core box instead of having to pull the whole dash & split the case etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:29 am 

The column doesn't need to come out, take out the full dash. That's it, and I believe there are 4 nuts holding the heater box on to the firewall.
Then you have to take the heater box apart to get to the actual core.

Did you get the screws under the speaker grilles and the one screw under the little panel on the top of the dash in the middle between the defrost blowers for your windshield? These are easily overlooked.

Take off all of the heater case retaining clips holding the case halves together. There are also 2 attaching screws on the drivers side of the box. Both screws are on the bottom half of the heater box, one is just in front of where the heat blows out by the gas pedal. It's in an indented part of the box, what looks like a rectangle with one corner cut off. You can't miss it. The other screw is just below where the heater core pipes come out of the box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:20 am 
banned

nicely done by blue lightning kp for him

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:41 am 

Thanks for the KP gtiragtop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:37 pm 

The heater box is super easy to remove and split, now getting it back togather with a aftermarket heater core is another story. But it can be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:35 pm 

Bluelightning, thanks for the info on the screws under the speaker grills
and the little panel, but on my car the steering column runs through the
dash so in order to remove the entire dash you either have to remove
the steering wheel from the column or remove the column and steering wheel all together which is what I did.
I worked on it for a couple of hours today. Dash is out and I'm almost ready to remove the heater box I might have to remove the gas pedal
& or the rod since the mounting tab is behind it.
I guess if you had done it before you could do it somewhat quicker but I
spend a lot of time looking at everything trying to figure out what needs
to be done like how to get some of the electrical connections apart ! some of them are a real pain I wanted to do it with out breaking them etc.
Unfortunately I broke those little cheap plastic things that hold the kick panels in place etc. now I'll have to look for some of those or figure out some other way of holding them in place. Thanks Howard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:32 pm 

No problem, glad I could help. Sorry I meant to say that the column didn't need to come out, just the steering wheel needed to be removed.

The gas pedal does not have to be removed, just take the nuts off of the studs that stem from the firewall and wiggle it out of there. You have plenty of room to work with now that the dash is out.

Are you talking about those plastic clips where you have to push in the center? Those are a pain. You have to be so gentle with those, given the age of our cars, the cheap plastic becomes brittle.

Sounds like you're doing great, the key is just to stay organized.
Keep us updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:48 am 
Suzuki Elder

bluelightning

karma, dude! :D

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:17 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

prior threads on heater core removal/replacement:
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=10027
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=16864

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:28 pm 

Thanks t3ragtop :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:53 pm 

I got the heater case out split case & pulled core out , but I can't find anything wrong with the core, except for a couple of hairline cracks
around the base of the tubes. I pressure tested the core by clamping off
the tubes with the rubber lines still attached. I clamped off one tube &
stuck the end of the air hose nozzle down in the other tube I turned air
pressure down to about 20 PSI, and didn't see any leaks, & there weren't any leaks going down the firewall in the engine compartment before I pulled the unit. The hoses didn't look to be to bad I've seen worse.
with all of the foam padding glued to the core it could be hiding some
other small hairline cracks?? or some other damage possibly but the
core looks to be in pretty good shape it doesn't look rotted and all the fins are in good shape.
The after market core I got is just a bit too small the tubes that come out of the core are supposed to be 1/2 in. inlet but they are not. Also
the tubes are not set the correct distance apart they are 1/8 th narrower
than the original and are not bent quite correctly so as far as I'm concerned it can't be used unless you bend it to fit first & then risk cracking the unit, the outer tube diameter is not the same either so the hoses probably won't be a tight enough fit. What to do?? I wonder how much an original piece is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:39 pm 

I had to bend the aftermarket heater core on the 89 to get it to fit correctly. Just have to be very gentle. I'm off fri and sat. Call me is your having issues, I'll come over and assist 903-9494.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:23 pm 

I would look into an oem part and see how much that costs. If the heater core does not fit correctly, then it could put unnecessary pressure on the pipes that come out of the core and through the firewall when the vehicle is moving. You will more than likely end up with the cracks that you have now, only much sooner.
Most people are detered by the prices of oem parts and will settle for something that doesn't fit or look right. It's up to you.
You could also try the scrap yard if you could find a low mileage car there, taking the dash out would be an easy task for you seeing as how you've already mastered it :D My parts car had 80k on it so the heater box was one of the first things that she donated to big blue 8)

You have to remember, the rule of thumb when something leaks, it's not pressurized, engine not running and cold. ie: a gasket. If you'd really like to see it leak, fill it up, plug the hoses and leave it in a bucket overnight. Laying down of course, as per its position in a vehicle. There should be a little antifreeze in the bucket in the morning. It was probably leaking for awhile, so little by little it added up. You may not of noticed something when you pressurized the core with air but it was probably so slight that you didn't even realize it.
Well, let us know what you decide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:49 am 

Any updates Howard?