TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:20 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:43 am 

:? hello all, im kind of new to forum,

i have a 94 swift 4 door sedan with a 1.3 engine automatic trans, i have had the timing belt changed and recently had a (weekend) mechanic come and check the car for me, as i could not get the timing alined right,

He alined the timing marks (he used the notches on the pulley not the nipple) i belive he used the one with the 60 on it i removed the dist cap and notice that the rotor is pointing to the #4 post.

my question is "is this RIGHT shouldnt it be pointing to the #1 on cap not the #4

what do you guys think or advise should i redo the timing again,

aline the lower marking and the turn the upper pulley until it reached the # 1 position on the dist, should i use the nipple or the notches ?

this little car is causing me misery !!! never had so many issues

Post subject: engine studder
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:39 am 

with thw above deatils i also noticed that once i put the timing light on the engine the timing mark on the pulley was WAY past the 20 degree (like 3 times past the 20 degree mark).

and if i rotate the dist to adjust i can only go as far as the 10 after that it stalls.

???? :x :x :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:24 am 
The Smuggler

looks like an improper install on the belt, you need to get it corrected ASAP.

Keep your eye on the boost guage!
And I love this one!
"Dale Jarrett's crew chief" "Drive it like ya STOLE IT!"

Post subject: HELP !
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:56 am 

ANY ADVISE WOULD HELP ?
:?
As i have been working on this for over a month, and i was hoping to get it right ! I have removed the belt and alined the marking around a thousand "WHAT AM I DOING WRONG " this car has giving me a hard time, THIS IS 1ST FORGEIN CAR I HAVE EVER HAD, i guess im not farmilar with them. (THATS WHAT I GET WITH A FREE CAR ! )

:x :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:22 am 

This has been covered a few thousand times - http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=26588 - I know this says G10, but the procedures are virtually identical.

Post subject: Swift Issue
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:32 am 

YES, i have printed this out 5 times, gone over everything over and over if i aline the marking (LIKE DIAGRAM) The car just cranks and doesnt crank over,

on the plulley, it has a nipple and it also has notches on the pulley i currently have it set at one of the notches (i think its the one with the 60 on it or close to it. (not the 80 with round nipple on it) it currently points to the # 4 post on dizzy cap. i have read it show be on the #1

show i remove everything AGAIN and retry :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:29 am 

Sounds like something is screwed - which end of the engine do you consider to be #1?

#1 & #4 are both at TDC simultaneously, however which one is on the compression stroke is determined by the camshaft position - the cam rotates at exactly half the crank speed, so first time the crank marks line up the cam will be on the mark and the distributor pointing to #1 and the second time the crank marks line up, the cam will be 180 degrees out and the distributor pointing to #4.

The engine is non interference so you can position the crank to line up the marks and then position the cam to line up the marks - if the cam is lined up and the distributor pointing to #4, it would suggest that the distributor leads are on wrong.

There is a diagram on the forum that shows the correct lead sequence _ I'll try to locate for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:32 am 

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=18166&

here you go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:50 pm 

in USA, #1 is on the left side, passsenger side of engine opposite of Dist.

Post subject: swift 1.3 SOHC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:12 pm 

you say "you suggest that the distributor leads are on wrong." :?

what do you mean by this ? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:24 pm 

FWIW...

I have a '94 Swift Sedan with the 1.3L 8v SOHC engine and when I replaced the timing belt I discovered the same thing...

When the timing marks were all lined up perfectly the rotor was pointing at the number 4 cylinder.

I even went so far as to redo all the plug wires, not like the diagram that was linked earlier, but by thinking... ok if this is No. 4 (most on the drivers side) and the engine spins this way, this needs to go next, etc... When I did this I couldn't even get the engine to sputter.

My problem ended up being that my head was badly warped and replacing the head (and some creative engineering with a cutoff wheel and JB Weld) ended up being my solution.

I don't remember wether I finally got it running with everything as it is stock (Rotor pointing at #4 post when timing marks line up) or if I turned the cam 180 out from the crank...

Sorry I can't be of more help, but at least you know that you aren't crazy :) And don't worry, when I posted about this a year or so ago I got all the same responses you are lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:32 pm 

Thanks for the reply Mr Ross ,
Looking at engine from the front back
are your telling me that the #4 plug is the 1st on the pass side of engine and that #1 is the on closest to the dist cap driver side :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:45 pm 

Check out this thread... It is a bit of reading, but it pretty well covers the nightmare I was going through with this very thing... quite a few good pictures and stuff as well...

Swapped the timing belt...

And here is a pic of where the timing stuff "should" be (at least according to the manual):

Courtesy of Geopat apparently

After reading through my old post, I remembered that even pulling the valve cover off and watching the rockers go up and down everything was lined up as it should be... I think it might be an error with the manuals and the '94 SOHC engines...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:36 pm 

I'm looking at the FSM for my car - which is a 93 1.3 SOHC - if you're standing in front of the car - #1 is to YOUR left (Crank pulley side) and #4 to YOUR right (Flywheel side).

With the timing marks lined up correctly - the distributor rotor should point to #4.

A timing light is used to set the ignition timing - not the cam timing - but since the distributor is driven from the cam, if the cam timing is wrong the ignition timing will also be wrong and what you describe seems to show the ignition timing as almost 60 degrees out - which would suggest that the belt is off by perhaps three teeth.

Post subject: 1.3 timing
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:48 pm 

do you thing you can scan a copy of the page ?

so do i move the cam back 3 teeth ? and aline the the crank ? :?

any advised is appriciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:17 pm 

With everything I have read 60A should point to the mark on the cover at which point your rotor should be pointing to #4, but when I do that I point to #1 and the car won't start. So I tried using the 80 mark instead...it points to #4 and runs although it idles suspiciously high.

Take a look at my thread if you want, I have a worn crank key slot screwing up my timing:
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=32999

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:53 pm 

fordem wrote:
With the timing marks lined up correctly - the distributor rotor should point to #4.

Where were you a year ago!!!! Would have saved a lot of :thwack:

Post subject: 1.3
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:50 am 

a year ago i owned a chevy cavi ! didnt have a SUZUKI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:11 pm 

i have the same car turn you cam 180 degrees problem sloved..
Yes its messed up only a suzuki could run..shitty with the cam 180 degrees off.. when you setting your timing and dead center your rotor should be pointing at 1.. if its at 4 your off 180

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:02 am 

From the MK2/3 1.0 & 1.3 SOHC Non-Turbo section of the forum->Sticky: SOHC Index <look>Timing Belt you can find a link to the following pdf:
http://www.teamswift.net/Lihtan/tech/Su ... _guide.pdf

which has the following instructions:
12. On all models, rotate the camshaft sprocket clockwise until the pulley marks align with the V mark
on the belt inside cover, Figs. 3 and 4.
13. Turn the crankshaft timing belt pulley bolt clockwise until the sprocket punch mark aligns with
the oil pump case arrow mark, Fig. 6.
14. Install the new timing belt on the sprockets with the belt drive side free of any slack and with
the tensioner plate pushed up by the finger. Match the arrow mark on the timing belt with the rotating
direction of the crankshaft (clockwise). In this position, the No. 4 piston is at TDC compression stroke.

This corresponds with my FSM for 1993 (supplemental 1994).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:07 am 

yes, this is how it currntly is set up, the pics you have are the same way mine is set up !, it is alined with the notches not the round marking on the pulley.

is the correct ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:26 am 

If I set up my marks and timings according to the pdf and FSM, the rotor points to #1 and my car won't run...I have to use the 80C mark, then the rotor points to #4 and it runs great except for a high idle. I can't find a definitive answer why this is so.

As for the round marking vs the notches, there's hardly a difference is there? I believe I lined up the notch with the mark on the cover.

Check the key and keyway on the crank pulley while you're at it. If it's damaged the engine will run poorly even if the marks are lined up.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:10 pm 

jcswift94 wrote:
i have the same car turn you cam 180 degrees problem sloved..
Yes its messed up only a suzuki could run..shitty with the cam 180 degrees off.. when you setting your timing and dead center your rotor should be pointing at 1.. if its at 4 your off 180

, but others say the rotor should be pointing at 4 when timing marks are aligned. Which is correct?

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:53 pm 

joesera wrote:
but others say the rotor should be pointing at 4 when timing marks are aligned. Which is correct?

Read my post above - what does it list as the source of my information - the FSM or Factory Service Manual - and it had better not be wrong.