TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:36 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Door Hinge Repair
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:23 am 

OK! The hinge "was" fine, but the body rusted out around the bolt holes on the Top Left Hinge.
Had it welded back into place. Lasted about 4 months, of severe use(20-50 times a day). Bodywork broke loose, again.

Got an idea to cut out the rusty parts and replace it with 1/4 to 3/8 INCH THICK steel plate with a 2 IN WIDE 90 degree angle, about 8 to 12 inches long that can be welded to the Door Jam and the surrounding body work, and be reinforced, BOTH before & after, the new mounting surface is welded into place.

Not being a Body Man or Welder, I've got to farm out this project.
Either pay through the Nose for the Pros or Chance it to the Youthful Enthusiasum of the Local Tech school welding Class.

For those who don't know. We're talking about a 95%, All Original 87 Chevy Sprint TURBO. I just need some gears to put the original trans back in for that other 5%.

I'd hate to have to "put her down" over something as simple as a "broken wing".

Any thoughts on "IF" this will work or any "Better Ideas" are surely welcome.

Lil' Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:17 am 

What's the possibility that the hinge pin was out of line with the lower one after the first repair?

This would put a strain on the hinge and the surrounding metal causing it to flex everytime the door was opened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:06 pm 

The alignment doesn't matter in this case as the Top hinge is so worn out that the door would drop a 1/2 inch or more everytime you opened it.

That's why part of the game plan is either a "new" hinge on top or switch it with the bottom one, if that's possible, so the "good" top one carries the weight and the bottom can be aligned to work properly.

My main concern is all the welding and fabricating to repair the rusted out body parts, seeing as I don't know how exstensive that might be as yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:07 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

I haven't done MK1 hinges, but the MK2 hinges can be swapped around, also some of the 4 door hinges can be used at the front of the car as well. Another thing you can do is mix and match parts until you have a working hinge assembled that doesn't have any worn out parts.

You're on the right track about reinforcing the area the hinges mount to. But you won't discover the full nature of the problem until you start tearing into the car. You may likely find other rust holes in the body work. Holes through the upper frame rails are very common, and only discovered once the front quarter panels come off.

When you do the hinges, you'll want to smear some seam sealer between the body and the backs of the hinges to keep water from penetrating into it. You might also want to replace the bolts too, I had one shear on me, and nearly had it break off completely into the bodywork.

I have a thread documenting work I did last summer repairing rust damage to my car, it'll give you an idea of the sort of things you may run into:
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=32743

Lastly, you might want to start learning how to do welding yourself. I ended teaching myself last year, and used own car for practice. Welding is a discipline where you need to become one with the metal, the pace your hand moves the rod, the sound of the crackle, and the feel for the timing of how much heat you've soaked into the metal, all combine into a single deliberate movement.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:25 am 

Lihtan wrote:
(Edit) ... You're on the right track about reinforcing the area the hinges mount to. But you won't discover the full nature of the problem until you start tearing into the car. You may likely find other rust holes in the body work. Holes through the upper frame rails are very common, and only discovered once the front quarter panels come off.

I got my fingers crossed. Only rust I've seen so far, besides the hinge area, which I'm thinking might be related to the hole in the fenderwell under the Battery tray.
Somebody cooked a bad battery on Slow Simmer.
I'm thinking some acid could have made it's way to the hinge area and never got washed off.
Only other rust was the Trans-Crossmember. I attribute that to spending 20Something years, with it's nose in tall, wet grass, in a Rural, Coal field area of Western Kentucky, before I finally put it back on the streets, where it belongs.

A bud at work found out I spent my last two days off helping another guy at work, that knows "zip" about cars, fix a broken timing chain on his S 10 P/U, for only a case of Budweiser, :D he offered to help me with the welding.

Only catch is it means using the tech school crew instead of the pros.
I've got to let the instructor check it out, before he'll commit to the project.

It's definitely gonna be a challenge. That means the tech school guys are gonna be more motivated. If the door falls off before the end of the Semester, they get an "F" on this project. :shock:

I'll try to get pics of the project, for future reference