TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:45 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:48 pm 

the pollen here is bad, sometimes over 3,000 units. (moderate is 100)
Has anyone modified the inside air duct for a filter??? (like new cars have)
would a regular air filter be too course to stop the pollen??

daily driver: red 1991 Metro 3cyl 5sp, roof rack, 8 degree advance,
got 61 mpg combined on 14" tires but i prefer 12"

completed frame up restoration: black 1994 Swift GT 5sp -- like new ! 45mpg

Last edited by xrw44 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: interior air filter
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:12 pm 

can someone post a diagram of the metro ventilation system? (heater, blower, AC)

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:32 pm 

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:58 pm 

The air filter for the cab is a special charcoal filter (5 microns) that is designed to remove most of the city polutants. A regular air filter (30 micron) will not do the same thing for you. Remove the vent grill from the outside just below the windshield and drop some charcoal brickets in there. it really will help. Also turn the blower on high/outside air. Then spray some Lysol into the outside air intake for the cab. This will kill the molds and mildew that get trapped in the cab duct work. If you have A/C on the car clean out the drain for the evaporater. Or you end up with a moldy smell in the cab. 30 microns=0.003"

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:22 am 

thks all. looks like the best place for a pollen filter is at the blower output in duct 7 junction. i will remove and take to parts stores. i will report back on which car's filter will tightly fit so others can do this. filters run $15-30.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:43 pm 

if you have A/C then duct 7 is where the A/C component sits. The evaporator.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:53 pm 

thks mpmetro. i do have AC and there is 1" between units 7 and 9 (in your last diag). i looked at many cabin air filters and most are 1" or more thick in widths of 4", 5" 7", and up. I think my duct is 6" aprox. So i looked at Homer Depot and bought a 1/4" thick x 12 x 24 filter designed to upgrade furnace filters. It will stop pollen, mold, dust, etc. $8.55 plus tax. That will make 8 filters. they say change every 3 mo. but it's 12 mo for Bosch cabin filters. Fewer hrs per mo.

My plan is to cut vertically 1/2 way into the duct, making a 1/4" slot. make a cardboard template to match the duct cross-section and then cut the filter to match, attach a tab to the filter so i can pull it back out and possibly make a thin cardboard support frame so the mesh filter will stay in place. insert filter and tape over the gap with 2" ALUMINIUM duct tape. Not the cloth based crap! BTW after 17 yrs the foam is letting a lot of air come out before the heater core etc. Taping that up will improve air pressure, and therefore comfort and defrost time.

just one question re diagram: what is that opening below the interior A/C unit#7 ("Evaporator") ? is there a drain there? it is not critical to my project.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:56 pm 

xrw44 wrote:
just one question re diagram: what is that opening below the interior A/C unit#7 ("Evaporator") ? is there a drain there? it is not critical to my project.

That would be the evaporater condensate drain - it runs through the firewall and ends up a few inches above the passenger side steering rack boot.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:26 pm 
Sad but True...

im totally down for a putting in an air filter inside my car, its ridiculous sometimes. Fresh air would be awesome, let me know how it works out for you, I was simply going to make a small fiberglass piece to house a filter inline at the same #7 junction

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:23 pm 

thks fordem. so that is the 2nd most important drain to keep open! :cry:

yes swift13b :D i was thinking of making a housing. i have made several over the years using cardboard from cereal or pizza boxes and then laying on fiberglass. But after i made the vertical cut 1/4" back from the end of the A/C tube, i made a template with typical cardboard. (1/8" thickness) and it was snug! with the fan on hi i got no air thru the vents and the blower was straining. So i will sandwich the 1/16" filter (no idea why pkg says 1/4" :evil: ) between 2 holders (see pic) made of thin cardboard bonded to a layer of fiberglass cloth (when i get some Hardener). i can sand them thiner if needed. i will tape them together. the square end acts as a handle. It's a prototype! BTW i used a 1" wide reciprocating blade to cut the duct. a hacksaw blade might work but bend easily.

Attachments:
airFilterHolder2.jpg
airFilterHolder2.jpg [ 31.24 KIB | Viewed 4387 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:14 am 

sorry for the wide pics. :oops: i will work with camera options. let me know if this is not clear. BTW the sequence of 3 pcs is important. Beside the heater core (furthest from blower) put the thickest cardboard (for support), then the fuzzy side of the filter (as mfr states), then the thiner cardboard. regular desk staples were used. no fiberglass was used but the cardboard could be thickened and firmed up if needed. it fits snuggly but i expect it will vibrate out if i dont tape it. i guess the air pressure has dropped 20-30% so i would NOT USE more than one thickness of filter material. now if i can just get my window to close properly ... :(

Attachments:
File comment: tools used and pc of A/C duct removed
HVAC filter tools.jpg
HVAC filter tools.jpg [ 112.75 KIB | Viewed 4387 times ]
File comment: i tried to remove the foam on the left so filter could slide in.
HVAC filter cutout.jpg
HVAC filter cutout.jpg [ 29.44 KIB | Viewed 4382 times ]
File comment: had to cut off more than the width of filter because tubing overlaps. this pcs is 5/16 wide. 1/4 to 3/8 is fine as different thicknesses of cardboard can be used to fill the gap, try to cut perpendicular to the tubing.
HVAC width removed.jpg
HVAC width removed.jpg [ 62.96 KIB | Viewed 4383 times ]
File comment: 1/16 cardboard + 1/16 screen + 1/8 cardboard was a good test fit so i stapled them together. with the blower on i could hear the difference as i slide them in and out.
HVAC filter pcs.jpg
HVAC filter pcs.jpg [ 70.87 KIB | Viewed 4383 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:28 am 

the outer arc of the cardboard was 5+7/8" (5.875") diameter. It fit my Mk2 (1991) well. Cars w/o A/C or later models could be a different size. Take some frozen food boxes and experiment. The width of the support ring is 3/8". Next time i would make it 1/4 to improve air flow exponentially. (Flow is proportional to the square of the radius. =) ) At that point the board may need some fiberglass for support.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:25 pm 

So now that i have a mk3 GT (92-94) i put a cabin filter in it as follows:

1. cut the front of the in-going AC duct back 1/4".
image_id: 16386

2. Make a pattern by tracing the tube that goes INTO the AC duct onto cardboard. cut outside the line 1/16" and test fit. then copy onto thick cardboard and the filter material. staple together with the hairy side toward the incoming air.
image_id: 16383

3. split in half a 9" length of "caulk saver" foam from Home Depot.
image_id: 16385

4. Glue the foam onto the tube that goes into the AC duct. I used black urethane sealant because it was handy. Clamp and let it dry.
image_id: 16384

5. Stick 1/4" weatherstrip inside the air duct to hold the filter in place.
image_id: 16382

6. Put it all together.

image_id: 16430

image_id: 16431

Note:
In this location it will filter incoming or recirculated air.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:16 pm 

Does someone have a diagram that shows the actual position of the interior air filter and how to get to it? My Geo has no AC, in case that makes a difference.
Where do you get replacements? Do they still have them at auto part stores? Have they changed over the years/models?

Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:09 pm 

Jaxx wrote:
Does someone have a diagram that shows the actual position of the interior air filter and how to get to it? My Geo has no AC, in case that makes a difference.
Where do you get replacements? Do they still have them at auto part stores? Have they changed over the years/models?

Thanks a lot!

Did you actually read this thread?

Somehow I think not - if you had you would have realised it's a "how I made my own interior air filter because these cars don't have one" thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:31 am 

I have modified my fist post to be more clear. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:21 pm 

fordem wrote:

Somehow I think not - if you had you would have realised it's a "how I made my own interior air filter because these cars don't have one" thread.

:roll: :oops:
Oh I'm sorry. A couple days ago I looked for a filter, didn't find one but coudn't believe that a car doesn't have one. I guess I was wrong. Sorry for all the confusion.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:53 am 

Jaxx wrote:
fordem wrote:

:roll: :oops:
Oh I'm sorry. A couple days ago I looked for a filter, didn't find one but coudn't believe that a car doesn't have one. I guess I was wrong. Sorry for all the confusion.

Wasn't until the mid-late 90's that they started to show up, mainly over on the other side of the world first, then here.

Gf's '98 Beetle has one, takes all of 10 minutes to change, the car had factory service for the first 100,000km of it's life, the cabin filter weighed 2lbs, and had a manufacture date of 10/97... When I changed it out, the blower actually blowed on the lower settings... :lol:

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:28 am 

Works great in Metro and GT.
we had 5400 pollen index last wk.
now it is ONLY 2400.
over 120 is called "extremely high".
:puker: :ez_eek:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:10 am 

Here in Alabama, I think our numbers are just as bad...but I don't have allergies or anything so it's not really bothering me.

How's the filter working?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:49 pm 

xrw44 wrote:
thks all. looks like the best place for a pollen filter is at the blower output in duct 7 junction. i will remove and take to parts stores. i will report back on which car's filter will tightly fit so others can do this. filters run $15-30.

I enjoyed your thread... I have messed with the ducting to add an electric heater (post conversion to electric I have no hot heat core!).
http://envirokarma.org/ev/gallery/091104_heatduct11.htm

I might go back and add a filter, but the more pressing issue is that I have horrific mouse urine smell from the blower unit. I suspect they have gotten into either the outside air intake, or the cabin air intake.

Do you have any tips to share on pulling out the fan/blower? i.e. do I need to pull the whole dash off, just the glovebox, or any other tips before I start?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:44 pm 

This is a pretty old thread, so the original poster may not be that active anymore.

The blower motor housing and fan assembly are removable together or as a unit. The fan motor is bolted to the housing and you can see the bolts by looking under the dash from the passenger foot well. There are three 8 mm bolts that hold the fan motor to the housing.

It sounds like you need to remove the entire blower housing and fan motor assembly if you need to clean up all the mouse crap probably in there.

There are three 10 mm bolts that hold the housing to the firewall. One is visible at the right side, and there are two bolts that attach short metal brackets from the blower housing to attachment points on the firewall. To get to these two upper bolts require you to remove the glove box door and glove box liner. The 1995-2001 MK4/5 Swift/Metro uses the same blower housing as earlier models but uses these two upper metal housing adapter brackets due to a different cowl/firewall shape than earlier cars.

I think you may also need to loosen and move the ECM out of your way, which is also located behind the glove box door to get at the upper bolts.

If you have a rodent problem in your ductwork, it's because you left the air recirculate lever open and did not use the car for quite a while. (ie. more than a few weeks) A rodent can still nest in the cowl intake space located above the heater's air recirculate damper door, but they would have a tough time getting past that into the car's ductwork. This poor cowl air intake design is my number one annoyance in our Suzuki cars, as it seems to invite this problem. Every one of these cars, produced from 1989 to 2016 has this design. :|

I recommend using a vacuum with a true HEPA filter to remove any loose debris that will fall down out of the air intake cowl duct area. This will happen when you open the recirculate air damper door, and/or remove the blower housing from the car.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:32 am 

suzukitom wrote:
This is a pretty old thread, so the original poster may not be that active anymore.

The blower motor housing and fan assembly are removable together or as a unit. The fan motor is bolted to the housing and you can see the bolts by looking under the dash from the passenger foot well. There are three 8 mm bolts that hold the fan motor to the housing.

It sounds like you need to remove the entire blower housing and fan motor assembly if you need to clean up all the mouse crap probably in there.

There are three 10 mm bolts that hold the housing to the firewall.

You are right on the money..... i was not too bad to remove the fan/blower unit; three screws and two electrical connectors. I removed the glove box door and the passenger seat to make gymnastics slightly easier.

Unfortunate results are that despite the damper being closed, the mice not only filled the top of the blower with crap and sticky urine, they squeezed thru the slot in the damper and had their way with the inside of the blower and moved on into the interior of the car as well... yuck

The fan/blower I can take apart hopefully and clean, but the cowl above looks to have no access from the engine bay; I don't see how to get to it to clean. do you have any clue on where the air intake is, or if there are any other access points?