TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:00 am
Posts: 8
Location: S.W. Michigan
Image

I bought a 95 Swift this summer to save on fuel. The problem is that it, like most that I have seen, had a pretty serious rust problem with the front control arm supports. I wasn't going to buy it, but decided that I could fix it. I'm not a great welder. In fact I haven't welded in over 20 years and I had never used a wire welder before. I bought a Millermatic 150 several years ago off a guy that needed some money and I figured it was time to hook it up and learn. I figured that since I got the car for $500, I could go ahead and spend some time on it. I guess I'm looking for some constructive criticism. Are these repairs going to be safe? I have been driving it now for several weeks with no issues, but I'm curious to see what you Swift experts think.

Here is the left front before any repairs.
Image

This is the patch that I made for it. It's just tacked on at this point.
Image

Here is the patch fully welded.
Image



The right side was worse. It was going to require more than just a patch. I ended up cutting out most of the forward part of the support before I started.

Right side before repairs.
Image
Image

I failed to get any 'in process' pics of the right side, but here it is as completed.
Image

Thanks for taking the time to look it over for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:07 am
Posts: 21
Location: Warden, Wa.
Good post and nice work!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:14 am
Posts: 11
Location: nebraska
can't get my dialup to download all your photos, but looks like you are sucessful. My 93 was a lost worse. I custom cut 10ga plates and welded to the a frame brackets and back into the floor buckets. That stabalized front to rear motion, welding drilled angle irons at a slant to the outer edges gave me a mounting bracket for a 1x3 inch channel iron cross member. this with 5/8 inch treaded bolts let me restore the camber to the front axles. it now has 28,000 more miles on it and is doing well. these are big go carts with air conditioning treat themthat way and have fun driving.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:08 pm
Posts: 1254
Location: Ashtabula, Ohio
I had to repair the same area on my 1998 model. Instead of patching, I made sure the plate steel was actually supporting the structure. Here is the thread with pics..........

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39040

_________________
Image
  • EcoMudder - Geo Metro Mudder
  • Project page
  • Build Video
  • 1991 4 Door Truck Conversion
  • Modified Suzuki 1.0L Engine
  • High Stall 3200 RPM Converter
  • Auto Trans with Welded Differential
  • Custom Exhaust and Intake System
  • 6" Suspension Lift & Weight Reduction
  • 27" Kenda Executioner 6 Ply ATV tires


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:00 am
Posts: 8
Location: S.W. Michigan
JohnnyMullet wrote:
I had to repair the same area on my 1998 model. Instead of patching, I made sure the plate steel was actually supporting the structure. Here is the thread with pics..........

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39040


Good job! My right side repair was very much like yours. I removed all of the material before starting and all is supported by new steel. (I wish I had taken more pics, but got involved with the repair) I also had to weld in about a square foot of plate on the floor pan where the lower support ties in. Before all was closed up, I sprayed everything with a rust converter. I also drilled a hole up high in the support and sprayed a liberal amount in the hole trying to be sure that I covered everything then plugged the hole. The left side just wasn't bad enough to cut it all out and start over. Besides, I was excited to get it on the road. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group