TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:33 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:50 am 

okay ignore the black arrow. this picture isn't of my trans-axle but its the only one i could find that showed the spot i as looking at on mine.

the red arrow points to a bolt that is currently missing off my car and is causing a loss of gear oil.

if anyone could tell me what its purpose is, and/or where i can get a new one. it would be greatly appreciated.

(also the hole in the case has no threads) maybe there are threads on something inside the case?

Attachments:
gtibox.jpg
gtibox.jpg [ 61.37 KIB | Viewed 1873 times ]

to live is to drive-to drive is to be free-currently freedom costs $2.67 a gallon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:56 pm 

That bolt retains the shaft that the reverse gear idler rides on. The tricky part is the threads are on the shaft I believe, but it will be tricky to rotate the shaft to expose the threads. When u reassemble the trans there is a certain way you place the shaft so the bolt threads in from the outside. For now, find a bolt and try to see if the hole is exposed or if you can turn it to expose the threads andscrew it in.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:53 pm 

thanks for the confirmation of my suspicions..
I've got the shaft lined up alright, does anyone know the specs of the bolt? checked with parts stores and transmission shops alike and they said i probably won't even be able to get it at a dealer.. but if i could get the specs( thread pitch and size-i.e. 1.0 pitch m7-) maybe i can find a close enough match or i can mill one myself..

saving this geo means saving me $50 every two days for gas in my truck

to live is to drive-to drive is to be free-currently freedom costs $2.67 a gallon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:38 pm 

Bare metro wrote:
thanks for the confirmation of my suspicions..
I've got the shaft lined up alright, does anyone know the specs of the bolt? checked with parts stores and transmission shops alike and they said i probably won't even be able to get it at a dealer.. but if i could get the specs( thread pitch and size-i.e. 1.0 pitch m7-) maybe i can find a close enough match or i can mill one myself..

saving this geo means saving me $50 every two days for gas in my truck

One of your local Teamswifters asked me to chime in on this one so here goes:

Time to change dealers, or avoid that transmission shop.
If you're talking about this bolt
then ole Cody is shooting straight.
Not sure who you talked to, but it looks pretty ordinary to me:
Although the threads are a bit tapered, and the overall length is around 35 mm, it's just an ordinary bolt that you can buy at any hardware store. Not rocket science, just plain old Suzuki; easy to fix.
M8 X 1.25

I'll tell the wife it's worth 50 bucks though and sorry, but your input shaft bearing is toast old boy.
(Wonder what that noise is that goes away when you step on the clutch now?)
That's what happens when you run 'em low on fluid...first.

What kind of trans fluid were you running?

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:55 pm 

actually ive had no noise out of it at all only noticed because i smelled a slight burning of oil.. and decided to double check for leaks..

as far as a local teamswifter, the transmission shop i went to is the highest quality in town.. i wont go to the corporate shops they screwed me twice..

everything else on the car works just fine.. hell i believe ive been driving without that bolt for three weeks at least.. the only thing thats rong with the metro now that ive got that bolt replaced is the passenger rear bearing has a flat spot that makes a bit of noise..

overall for a car that i got for 50 bucks and is only being used to save me money till i find work.. its not in bad shape at all

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:29 pm 

I hear Jesus wasn't welcomed in his home town either.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:12 pm 

Well thanks for the help guys its much appreciated, even if it didnt seem like it..

sorry if i as an ass to anyone..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:14 pm 

Hi there. Sorry to bring up an old thread. I too have the bolt missing. I noticed this after I changed the transmission and discovered a small leak. I do have the bolt but I cannot line up the shaft inside to get the bolt in. So far all I have tried has moving it with a sharp object. Is there a trick to getting it to move? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:11 pm 

It's pretty hard to rotate. If it were me, I'd try checking it after test driving it, hoping that at some point it lands up close to the correct place. We know it rotates somewhat since yours has turned to a different spot. By that token it should eventually land up close to there again. Might be tedious but easier than pulling trans and tearing down to do it the correct way.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:34 am 

Ok thanks. I'll try that. Was even thinking to drill a tiny hole into it so I could try to move it with a scroll.