TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:55 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:43 pm 

With gas prices shooting up again, Mrs. G-Whiz all but floored me when she asked me to find a Metro for commuting to work.
So I did...
A 1997 4 door 4-banger automatic with 97,000 (!) on the odometer.

It's a little rough, but for the most part should clean up nicely.

Because of the relatively low miles, it was a late night impulse purchase made in reaction to an ad placed on Craigs List. Due diligence really didn't play into it. I figured at $1500, "you snooze, you loose".
The owner said that despite having a half a tank of 5 year old gas, he was able to start it up, though he had to rock it a little to get the brake pads to break free of the drums/rotors.
I got there, gave the body a quick look over, dumped a half can of Seafoam into the gas tank and the other half into the crank case, dumped another 4+ gallons of fresh gas into the tank (left over from the power outage during the recent snow/ice storm,) and using jumper cables (the battery was beyond gone - you can wiggle one post!), fired it up.
Yup... sticky lifter, but the motor was running smooth and everything was being powered off the alternator just fine.
Sold! :twisted:

So, a few minutes later, to the surprise of the owner, away his little car went into the dark, slightly rainy night, with me behind the wheel and Michael (CellDamage) bringing up the rear for the 40 minute drive home...
Good times... reminded me of the night I brought Dust Bucket home (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=43561&hilit=Dust+Bucket), just without all the high-stakes drama! :lol:

All in all, the body is in decent shape although the clear coat on the dark green paint is shot. There are places all over the body where it has flaked off. (Kermit the Frog's quote came to mind: "It ain't easy bein' green")
The headliner, although it's still in good condition, has started to separate from the roof over the rear seat. (So, any restoration tips would be appreciated.)
Some of the exterior plastic trim/seals (around the doors) has seen better days and will eventually have to be replaced. Cant help but wonder if this rig started life in sunnier climes.

In case you hadn't figured it out already, the "whoops" part in the thread title is that, where my "Dust Bucket" vert sat for 7 in central Washington, this little rig has been sitting for the last 5 years here in western Washington.
Yup, you guessed it... moldy interior.
I might be able to salvage the rear seats but I think at least one front seat and carpet will probably have to go... time will tell.

Besides the headliner and mold issues, this green "Kermit" car presents 4 major challenges before Mrs. G-Whiz will get to take it for a spin:
    - At least one stuck hydraulic lifter (been there, done that)
    - The locks on both rear doors are "jammed" so I'm unable to open them.
    - The drivers-side window regulator is messed up
    - And finally the biggie... Mice got into the air ventilation system in the dash. How extensively has yet to be determined, but this was an unknown at the time of purchase.

Not sure that it makes a difference, but the rear doors have child locks so they can only be opened from the outside. It feels like the door lock levers are binding up against something just shy of reaching the unlocked position. Got the interior door panel off on the passenger side but I can't seem to manipulate the latch mechanism with my fingers properly to get it to release the lock and allow the door to open. I did a forum search but didn't find a solution... :(

First order of business though is going to be the removal of the blower fan (once I get over the cold I came down with the night I bought Kermit).
Pictures to follow...

Last edited by G-Whiz on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:56 pm 
Island Inbreeder

ruff I'll show you ruff
about the back doors thats seem norm for the MK4 you can take the rear door cards off from inside
and if yu like I can get you a picture of how trip the door latches to get the rear doors to open
........jv&s

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:06 pm 
Suzuki Elder

scottie, just promise me that you won't recycle the pic of the clyclotronic rodent. :puke:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:20 pm 

jaguar,vettes&sprints wrote:
ruff I'll show you ruff
about the back doors thats seem norm for the MK4 you can take the rear door cards off from inside
and if you like I can get you a picture of how trip the door latches to get the rear doors to open
........jv&s

LOL! I love it.
Yes, any sage wisdom on tripping the latches, getting the headliner back up in place, dealing with the mouse stench and fixing the driver's door window regulator would be appreciated. I updated the first post concerning the back door latch while you two were responding. Now I need to run outside ans snap a few as-is pictures.

Mrs. G- is already freaking at all the stuff that needs to be done to the interior even though I told her it's all "small stuff".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:10 pm 

Here are the initial pics. More of a teal than green, but I'm sticking with Kermit! :wink:
That valve cover looks like it came from a wrecking yard with the red lettering next to the air filter, which has me wondering about the whole motor... So, I'm wondering... does this have the hydraulic lifters or something else.
Getting the interior rear door panel wasn't too difficult and as you see, I can access the latch mechanism, but can't figure out how to un-jam the door lock.
The crud that blew out of the vents looks like seeds and grass material from nesting. No sign of mouse poop, but then that stuff is heavier and less likely to make it up and out of the vents.
You can see how the clear coat has bubbled up off the paint on the trunk lid and if I picked it with my fingernail, could break it off.
Interesting that the gas gauge shows what's in the tank with the battery totally toast.

Attachments:
Kermit.jpg
Kermit.jpg [ 257.66 KIB | Viewed 4631 times ]
KermitEngine.jpg
KermitEngine.jpg [ 358.33 KIB | Viewed 4631 times ]
KermitHeadliner.jpg
KermitHeadliner.jpg [ 269.56 KIB | Viewed 4631 times ]
KermitCrudBlownOutOfVents.jpg
KermitCrudBlownOutOfVents.jpg [ 237.91 KIB | Viewed 4631 times ]
KermitClearcoatSeparation.jpg
KermitClearcoatSeparation.jpg [ 279.71 KIB | Viewed 4631 times ]
KermitRearPassengerDoor.jpg
KermitRearPassengerDoor.jpg [ 648.16 KIB | Viewed 4629 times ]
KermitOdometer.jpg
KermitOdometer.jpg [ 94.51 KIB | Viewed 4629 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:17 pm 

Congrats on the new member of the family, Best wishes for many happy miles of motoring. let me share a couple old "Car Dealer" tricks with you, that may (or may not) help with a couple of the issues your having.
1) Clearcoat Peel, Go on Car-Part.com and see if any yards in your area have a "Green" Metro parts car in stock. Then verify it against your color code. If your lucky, you may be able to find undamaged "In Color" Body pieces to swap out with the parts on your car that are easily removable.(alot cheaper then paint work) and then sell your excess parts to fellow swifters to recover some of your costs. I know this sounds like a one in a million shot, But you'd be amazed how often I've done this here in the midwest and heavens knows you guys in the northwest have a gaziilion more metros to work with then we do :D :D :D .
2) sagging headliners, I 'm sorry But I have any fixes for it. other then a trip to the upholstery shop,(To the tune of $175.00 if you remove the headliner your self and re install it.). The Glues, sprays, adhesives, etc. always look worse then the sags they were supposed to fix. (and I think we have tried most of them on the market.) Buuutttt,If full replacement isn't in the cards ,I've been known to stop by wall-mart and go into the sewing notions dept, and pick up upholstery tacks. (Think of a thumb tack with a curly shank on it.) and then strategically place them every 4 to 6 inches in an even square pattern ( sorta like, Poor Mans tuck and roll :D :D ) start in the center and work outward massaging out any wrinkles as you go. A fix?? No. But it looks a whole lot better the the saggy baggy diapers that leak look, that JV@S Has going in his pictures he posted, Plus it stops the sag from getting worse. Total cost about $8.00 to $10.00.
Best wishes and good Luck, Let me know if this helps

1991 Vert (red) 129k 5sp,AC, Resto-Mod, 75% Done.(Clean SW car)
1993 GT(Teal) 103k 5sp,AC,w/PW (Resto-Mod,60% done.)(Clean SW car)
1994 Swift GS 4Dr sedan (Painted 2005 Ford Kona Blue) 95k 1.3 SOHC 5sp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:28 pm 
Island Inbreeder

I like it :)
no rat pictures Richard But i bet you know were to find them
I sick too hope you feel better :s
I don't know how I got the crud
I'm thinking it was
http://www.youtube.com/user/softpatch?f ... oWfZdn7UOA
or doing this
I'm think it was celibrating The begining of my vacation sharing a bottle of home made moonshine
with a guy who may or may not have Hep-C ..........Glasses we don't need no stinkin glasses
Go look over @ GMF the girls over there have got it going on...
Alot of good info about the Problems that pleq are MK4
I tried to sign up so i could ride those ya hoo's harder then i hit the boy's here on TS.
But the mullet man is smart enough not to let me in
.....jv&s

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:45 pm 
Island Inbreeder

This is my 95 I'm going to make this turd shine
I went to the wreckers and bought a headliner
seats and carpet $150
your headliner is gone you wont be able to fix that
just go get one out of the Junk yard it's one piece of cardboard I'll get you a pic later to show what it looks like

k
when you look inside the door you see a little white nubb
you can see it better here the white tit looking thing .
That is the trip mech you have to get a screwdriver and stick it in there and lift it up
here another of the white nubb in the trip mode (like this the door will pop open)
these doors have a child saftey lock when you get the door open.
you'll see it on the outside door jam above the striker plate.
On the inside it looks like a black long pencil looking thing
(you can see it in the second picture it has an "L" stamp on it)
............jv&s

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:10 pm 
Suzuki Elder

you flat wore that maple tree out!

run scotty, run. :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:47 am 

I have fixed a lot of the rear door latches. I can't quite describe how to get it open, I just sort of figure it out and pry a bit more on the piece the doorhandle pushes on. Then once its open I clean and lube the latch and then bend the piece that the handle pushes on and they seem to work well for a decent long time. I have discovered the 98(I think this is when it started) an up models have a much more robust upgraded latch assembly that won't act up and will bolt right in.
This engine does have lifters built into the rockers. Very easy to unbolt and service/clean if you want to give it a shot. In my experience(probably about 100 of these engines) the lifters don't give much grief. I have seen the cam or roller on the lifter fail causing noise. Couldn't tell which started the problem, just saw both parts in poor shape. Most common cause of engine noise in this generation of 1.3's is cracked piston skirts, I'm sorry to say. Starts as a ticking and turns to a knock once the skirt falls off, then blows lots of smoke once oil rings go. Apart from that just keep an eye on oil level, around here it seems to be hard to find one that doesnt use oil. That's what Ive found with the 4cyl models. The upside is the heads are super tough, don't know if I've ever seen a burnt valve on them, unlike the g10. Also they can burn oil for ages without killing the head. Keep the oil full and they just keep running strong. For this reason, refreshing them with rings and a basic rebuild including very close examination of pistons for cracks brings the engine right back around.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:41 am 

codyb76 wrote:
... I have discovered the 98(I think this is when it started) an up models have a much more robust upgraded latch assembly that won't act up and will bolt right in.
This engine does have lifters built into the rockers. Very easy to unbolt and service/clean if you want to give it a shot. In my experience(probably about 100 of these engines) the lifters don't give much grief. I have seen the cam or roller on the lifter fail causing noise. Couldn't tell which started the problem, just saw both parts in poor shape. Most common cause of engine noise in this generation of 1.3's is cracked piston skirts, I'm sorry to say. Starts as a ticking and turns to a knock once the skirt falls off, then blows lots of smoke once oil rings go.

That reminds me. The service engine light was on the entire time. I'll have to get my code reader out and find the OBDII (?) port.
Sounds like I better do a stethoscope test the next time I fire it up! :shock:

You all have armed me with such a wealth of information... thank you so much! :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:29 am 

G-Whiz wrote:
codyb76 wrote:
... I have discovered the 98(I think this is when it started) an up models have a much more robust upgraded latch assembly that won't act up and will bolt right in.
This engine does have lifters built into the rockers. Very easy to unbolt and service/clean if you want to give it a shot. In my experience(probably about 100 of these engines) the lifters don't give much grief. I have seen the cam or roller on the lifter fail causing noise. Couldn't tell which started the problem, just saw both parts in poor shape. Most common cause of engine noise in this generation of 1.3's is cracked piston skirts, I'm sorry to say. Starts as a ticking and turns to a knock once the skirt falls off, then blows lots of smoke once oil rings go.

That reminds me. The service engine light was on the entire time. I'll have to get my code reader out and find the OBDII (?) port.
Sounds like I better do a stethoscope test the next time I fire it up! :shock:

You all have armed me with such a wealth of information... thank you so much! :)

yes, great posting as usual codyb76 :lol:

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:12 am 

Located (via car-part.com) and pulled the front seats and rear door lock mechanisms out of a white 1999 4 door sitting in a wrecking yard about 40 minutes south of here. The passenger seat and carpet around it had some mold setting in thanks to the western Washington environment, but still, they weren't stained black like Kermit's passenger seat and when I checked, they passed the "sniff test", no problem. There's no way the car in the wrecking yard has been sitting for the last 5 years, but treating them with a mild anti-fungal would be in order. Probably wouldn't hurt to scrub down Kermit's interior door panels and rear window deck also since the interior has a very noticeable mold smell.

Is it safe to assume the window regulators are the same in the '97 and '99 4 door coups? The regulator is messed up in the drivers side front door and ay this point I don't know if I can rehab, or will have to replace it completely. (Copper Top developed the same problem last year :( ) It's a low priority issue that can wait until everything else has been addressed.

The plan for this week - weather and energy levels permitting - is to remove Kermit's interior and blower fan (to see how extensive the mouse infestation was). Need to haul out the impact driver for removing the rear seats. Then next Saturday we'll return to I-5 Auto Wrecking to retrieve the headliner, rear seat and carpet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:32 am 
Island Inbreeder

replace the regulator these are realy flimsy
and yes 95-99 all interchange
Take some any all pictures I'm in.!

use Resolve that stuff is the bomb with a stiff brush
also If you come across a gold hood 95-99 @ your honny hole please let me know
still looking for a windsheild MK2-3 2dr I can't find one anywere
you inspired me...
Feeling better I started My 95 and drove it in the garage to start rusto today
............................................................Thanks man
.......jv&s
YUCK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:13 am 

replace the regulator these are realy flimsy
and yes 95-99 all interchange
Take some any all pictures I'm in.!

use Resolve that stuff is the bomb with a stiff brush
also If you come across a gold hood 95-99 @ your honny hole please let me know
still looking for a windsheild MK2-3 2dr I can't find one anywere
you inspired me...
Feeling better I started My 95 and drove it in the garage to start rusto today
............................................................Thanks man
.......jv&s
YUCK

OK. I'll grab the regulator also - if I have time.

I don't recall ever seeing a gold coup before... didn't see one in the I-5 Auto wrecking though I think I saw an early 90's Metro somewhere in there last weekend - along with a few Trackers scattered here and there (no DOHC motors in any of them though). I've noticed the early 90s Metros don't seem to be as common in the wrecking yards as they were a year or two ago. Not sure what's going on there.
The rain and snow is keeping me at bay so far, not that I don't have other projects around here to keep me busy. Need to get going on this before Mrs. G totally looses interest. As long as the gas prices stay up, I have half a chance, but she's already starting to think about upgrading into another Corolla - one with power windows and side mirrors this time! :vibe:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:34 am 
Island Inbreeder

ok thinks for the looky lou
I need a gold hood
If the misses doesn't want the metro with gas prices as there are you'll have no problem
selling it for extra cash
I know you might have motor issues I hope not
drain the oil look for chunks

As YUMMY says "Make it rain bitch"

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:

Last edited by jaguar,vettes&sprints on Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:02 pm 

Got the carpet out of the '99 coupe, but here I sit on it's back seat, wondering what the trick is to getting the headliner out. The backing appears glued to the underside of the roof. I don't want to wait until next weekend but I don't know how long I have before the rains return &I'll be forced to abandon the wrecking yard!
Found a radio antenna... Maybe I can slide that up there...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:44 pm 

G-Whiz wrote:
Got the carpet out of the '99 coupe, but here I sit on it's back seat, wondering what the trick is to getting the headliner out. The backing appears glued to the underside of the roof. I don't want to wait until next weekend but I don't know how long I have before the rains return &I'll be forced to abandon the wrecking yard!

I'm wondering too. I don't think there is a way to remove the headliner without destroying it.

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:46 pm 

Ya, the roof liner is glued to the roof. I managed to get mine out with some force and little damage to the liner panel.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:31 pm 
Island Inbreeder

G-Whiz wrote:

Here's some pictures from my 95 and the liner I pulled out of the wrecking yard
eazy does it
The liners can be ripped there just cardboard

here is t he inside of the 95
.......jv&s

t3 ragtop wrote:
suprf1y wrote:
jrjd wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:08 am 

the muscles in my hands and forearms gave out and I finally had to call it quits. It was getting on in the afternoon anyway but at least I had the left side if the headliner "scalped" with the antennae. The door regulator and headliner will just have to wait, probably for a couple more weekends as next weekend is tied up with other commitments. I was thinking there were blobs of glue holding the headliner up but these pictures clearly show otherwise! I was thinking something similar to a Slim Jim (but thinner and more flexible, so it could follow the roof curve over the doors) could tear away at the glue with a serrated edge, but now I'm thinking the antennae with it's little round ball at the tip is probably about as good as I can hope for. The kid thinks I should just pull the fabric off Kermit's headliner and replace it with something else from the fabric store but I figure it would be better to get the mold-scented cardboard out completely.
Not including gas, the carpet, seats and a side view driver's door mirror has cost just shy of $200.
Has anyone done a good writeup on removing the front door regulators in the '95 to '97 4-doors?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:23 pm 

Woo-hoo!!! The Big Bright Orb in the Sky is out from behind the clouds. I can finally dry out and treat the replacement carpet and seats while I start tearing out the old carpet and the blower fan housing. :D
Looks like I won't be going back to the wrecking yard today for the window regulator...
As it turns out, the kid (CellDamage) and Mrs. G- have been conspiring, outvoting me on doing a straight headliner swap. They want to pull it out of Kermit and lay down a completely different fabric on the cardboard backing.
Okay....
That should be interesting.
I've been taking pics over the last couple weekends and will be taking more as this progresses...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:44 pm 

"Oh My God,.... They've gone to PLAID!"
bet they overshot us by a week and a half
------Spaceballs------

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:33 am 

k
when you look inside the door you see a little white nubb
you can see it better here the white tit looking thing .
That is the trip mech you have to get a screwdriver and stick it in there and lift it up
here another of the white nubb in the trip mode (like this the door will pop open)
these doors have a child saftey lock when you get the door open.
you'll see it on the outside door jam above the striker plate.
On the inside it looks like a black long pencil looking thing
(you can see it in the second picture it has an "L" stamp on it)
............jv&s

Yesterday I only managed to squeeze in a little bit of time to remove the carpet... CellDamage got a new girlfriend so he's practically useless to me at the moment... ;)
Anyway, I decided to slit the carpeting lengthwise in order to get it out, and when I looked down at the now-exposed front passenger floorboard next to the wheel well all I could saw was, "Awww.... NUTS!!!" :evil: :
Attachment:
AwwwNuts.jpg
AwwwNuts.jpg [ 364.71 KIB | Viewed 4309 times ]

In the door, I finally realized the orientation of your picture was upside down, so I got the screwdriver in there and pushed down with the screwdriver from above.

Woo-hoo!!!

Tonight, I was finally able to see what you were talking about with the child safety lock:
Attachment:
The attachment AwwwNuts.jpg is no longer available

Attachments:
Passenger side child security lock.jpg
Passenger side child security lock.jpg [ 99.52 KIB | Viewed 4363 times ]

Last edited by G-Whiz on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:34 pm 
Island Inbreeder

Hello.Man do you want to move this thread .?
I looked for awhile before I found it again
I had many question and some pictures
wanted to share
just finished up my car and it tuned out great ... just wanted to share.??
Do you want to go to ground so we can ..Back and forth about are MK4's
....jv&s

t3 ragtop wrote:
suprf1y wrote:
jrjd wrote: