TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:46 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:41 pm 

'89 Geo Metro G10 motor, 5 speed, complete rebuild less than 20k miles ago.

recent background...
had a bad/old fuel pump 3 weeks ago. replaced that. ran great until yesterday. Got in it, tried to start it... nada. just kept turning over. did my diagnostics... bad fuel pump again. I had replaced with Artex? brand or something like that. a mechanic buddy of mine told me they are super awesome and last forever?... no so much. This morning, I replaced the pump with a new one (again). Started right up, runnin smooth again. Drove it around town and on the freeway without any issue....until...I was exiting the freeway and trying to make the light and came into the corner pretty quickly and down shifted to 3rd and dumped the clutch and put my foot in the gas... nada. ?!! I coasted for about 10 yards and feathered the gas with my foot in the clutch (the car didnt die). she comes back to life. I let out on the clutch again and now there is this hard lurching! "vroom....stall....vroom...stall...ect."! So, I put the clutch back in and super tenderly let it back out with barely any throttle...runs fine. Over the next handful of intersections, I learn that i have to super baby the throttle OR 3500 rpm or higher and it runs fine.?

It idles great. Rev great. runs great at steady rpm. I cant tell if the fuel is cutting out or the ignition. The gas tank is full by the way so the theory of sloshing gas in the tank doesnt work either...

I did a few "searches" and am going to test a few ideas this afternoon. I will inform as I get results. Your ideas are greatly appreciated.

thanks

Last edited by nixmixin on Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:01 pm 

Fixed! ... i think.

The plastic wire connector for the fuel pump was cracked and loose under the rear seat. Replaced with new connectors... all good. No more cutting out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:03 pm 

You may want to check your fuel filter as well as fuel pressure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:29 pm 

JamalSpelling wrote:
You may want to check your fuel filter as well as fuel pressure.

Replaced that about 6 months ago when I did the rebuild.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:34 pm 

haha, you sure get a lot of problems with your car eh :roll: ? glad you fixed this one ! :wink:

Attachments:
bubblecar.jpg
bubblecar.jpg [ 417.5 KIB | Viewed 4157 times ]

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:59 pm 

Yuppers. Lol. That is wwhat u get when u rebuild a car that sat for years on end in the desert with the window down...lots of "challenges"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:58 pm 

So, all the same symptoms that I mentioned in the 1st post of this thread started again. I know the connection I repaired it solid and is not the problem. It only does the stall thing from a complete stop, everytime. Once I am all the way in gear and going around 20 mph, all is well and it revs, pulls, shifts and idles fine. code 51 came up again too.

ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:30 pm 
Suzuki Elder

51 is the code for the egr on cars from 86 to 95. look to see if you have an egr valve. it probably needs serviced.

the symptoms you describe sure sound like a bad fuel pump or clogged filter. the lurching and stalling on acceleration with a good steady state operation is indicative of fuel starvation.

you may also have a tps going bad or way out of adjustment. i'd check that, too.

86–95 SWIFT w/TBI FUEL INJ

TP Sensor Circuit Signal Voltage High
TP Sensor Circuit Signal Voltage Low

EGR System & REGT Sensor Circuit

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:44 pm 

test the TP sensor.

crap in the tank clogging the pickup?

when i worked for a parts store airtex was by far the worst pump we sold. got those in for warranty returns 3:1 over the other brands we sold.

now....actually working in a shop...theyre all pretty much equally shitty. out of all the pumps we install OEM are the best available.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:41 pm 

I just put the new screen filter on the pump and the in-line fuel filter is only a few months old. If it was the new fuel pump, wouldnt the stalling (fuel starvation) symptom occur more often than just when I am starting to move from a full stop?

I do have an EGR. I serviced and cleaned it all out back when I did the rebuild last summer. would it need it again this soon?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:17 pm 
Suzuki Elder

if that airtex fuel pump turns out to be the culprit (and i lean towards that to be your problem) use this pump. it's the replacement for the swift gt twincam engine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ELECTRIC-FU ... es&vxp=mtr

i mounted that in my red resto-rod vert in preparation for an engine swap when i repaired the fuel lines and it operates just fine on the old normally aspirated g10 i'm running now. it's physically bigger but it will fit into the metro's fuel door assembly with a little fiddling. you'll also have to do some simple wiring mods to add ring terminals to replace the push on spade connectors on the stock pump.

you may also try blowing back through the supply, return, and vent lines from the engine bay to the fuel tank to make sure they aren't clogged up. also check the steel lines for kinks. don't go much over about 20 psi on air pressure to clear the lines so you don't blow any lines apart. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:15 pm 

Did a fuel pressure check. Holds @ 15 psi and runs up to 25-28psi when i rev it. Normal?
I bought a new fuel filter too. Going to swap that out before another pump attempt.

Also, seems to do this wanting to stall thing after the car is warmed up. Runs great when the motor is cold.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:41 pm 
Suzuki Elder

here's the link to the fuel pressure testing thread.

viewtopic.php?t=24569&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

unfortunately, the pics were all lost in a server swap. this used to be the go to thread for testing fuel pressure. you may be able to see the pics by visiting the original poster's photo gallery.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:59 pm 

nixmixin wrote:
Did a fuel pressure check. Holds @ 15 psi and runs up to 25-28psi when i rev it. Normal?
I bought a new fuel filter too. Going to swap that out before another pump attempt.

Also, seems to do this wanting to stall thing after the car is warmed up. Runs great when the motor is cold.

15psi @ idle seems low.

Try cleaning your MAF as well.

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:32 pm 

ok, yesterday I removed the "newest" fuel pump to make sure that the screen filter was still attached ok and that there wasnt something obviously wrong with my prior installation. All was well there. I did some more searching and found that my psi numbers were definitely in the "normal" range. I then took apart and checked/cleaned the fuel pressure regulator. nothing odd there either. double checked all the vacuum lines to be sure they were routed correctly. all good there too. I put it all back together and drove it about 30 miles without the big stalls happening. but, again, it mainly happens after it has been driven for about 45 min-1 hour or so.

I didnt swap out the fuel filter or replace the fuel pump "again" yet. waiting for the problem to repeat. Driving for 9 hours straight on Tuesday, so that will be a good test.

I will post updated info.

your advice is greatly appreciated and welcomed.

thanks everyone

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:55 am 

I have now driven another 1000 miles since my last post in this thread. Check engine light has stayed on the entire time. The wanting to die when leaving from a stop has been consistant. Still only does it when the motor warms up. I havent replaced the fuel filter or fuel pump again yet.

Yesterday, i was tinkering around the motor and found a couple of old warn and cracked vacuum lines. I replaced them and went for a drive. I did not reset my ecu/check engine light. Drove to the gas station and filled her up. Still getting 44mpg. When i started the car at the gas station, the check engine light was off for the first time in a long time. Drove around another 15 miles and parked it for the night. Got up this morning to set off on another 8 hours of driving and the damn light came back on and the stalling symptom came back with it. Seams like less power as well?

When i get home tomorrow i will be replacing ALL the vacuum lines and replacing the in-line fuel filter again among a few other small projects.

New theories are welcome. Will update soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:40 pm 

I doubt a vacuum leak will cause your engine to throw a code. And given that its intermittent, its probably related to a wiring short to a sensor somewhere on the harness. Or as someone said, your egr valve probably needs servicing.

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:17 pm 

Code 51 is egr related. Bad lines/ low vacuum can throw that code.

Tomorrow i will be diving head first into my bucket of frustration ....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:44 pm 

Well... update...

Replaced ALL vacuum lines. Found 2 that were really bad. Also discovered my coil to distributor wire wasnt seated very well? Finished installing all the parts for my ac that i am adding.

Runs way better now. No check engine light. (Went off on it's own) still does the random stalling thing from a stop. Tomorrow i will be swapping in a new in line fuel filter and vacuuming/charging the ac system.

If that doesnt fix 'wanting to stall' problem, i will fork out the cash for 3rd time and get the expensive Bosch fuel pump. After that,... i dunno.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:45 am 

if it is stalling only when it is warm you might want to try swapping in a known good coil.

1990 swift GL Twincam swap
Hyundai trans swap- in progress

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:01 pm 

brand new coil last summer. ? not ruling it out, just saying I have replaced that fairly recently too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:17 pm 

Hella hot day today. Doing the worst it ever has with the stalling. Now, i can get it to idle, rev the motor with no issues. The moment i begin to let out the clutch, it dies. Cant move. Something is over heating under load. I can only think of the fuel pump or the ignition coil? Going to find out

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:19 pm 

Odd added note. No stalling when driving in reverse!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:37 pm 

It is iver 110 degrees today btw. Diggin around the interwebs and found the idea/posibility of vapor lock? Ideas? Saw several posts about clipping wooden clothes pins to the fuel line to make a heat sink of sorts with huge success? $1.05 at walmart for 50 of em..gunna try it. Ya never know

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:59 am 

after more research I have found that the heat can cause a variety of different issue including vapor lock, overheat silinoids, overheated relays a numerous other small quirky ailments. I dont find it coensidental that the hottest day of the year thus far and excessive inner city driving with my new ac kickin added up to this stalling issue to get really bad. I have parked the car for several hours now and just took it for a nice spin. everything works wonderfully again. I did adjust my tps slightly. But, have done nothing else. I will update as I get new info.