TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:11 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:07 pm 

My son now owns our 2000 Suzuki Swift

Has a G13B (SOHC) 1.3 L engine

He recently had radiator issues and overheated the vehicle. We replaced the radiator but it was missing. Ran the diagnostics and it confirmed that the third cylinder was missing. Pulled the plugs and the one spark plug was wet and had an anti-freeze smell. The oil is not foamy or brown so I don't suspect water in the oil. Can someone tell me where the leak most likely is coming from and what the solution would most likely be. I am not car smart, but my son has very little funds so we need to figure out how to fix it ourselves if at all possible. Have read a few boards, not Suzuki specific and it seems as if I have seen a ton of solutions from head gaskets, to cracked head, to intake gaskets, etc. Figured someone who knew the engine design would be able to figure out how anti-freeze got into the spark plug well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:45 am 
@ssclown

My guess would be that overheating warped the head so a coolant passage into the head is leaking into #3 cylinder. You will need to remove the head and use a straight edge to see if it is warped beyond specification. That's only a guess though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:57 am 

Very likely it's the head gasket. It simply can't be the intake gasket on this style of engine. It's not an awful job but unfortunately you do have the hardest engine of the series to remove cylinder head on. Again, not nearly as bad as many other vehicles, but the location of the head bolts under the rockers makes them a bit of a pain. You will aslso need a 10mm 12pt socket for the head bolts. I would recommend getting the head resurfaced and crack checked before putting it back together. Realistically I suspect your cost apart from your time will be $250min to $500 including machine shop bill.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:36 pm 

Having suffered the same issue, I found that a head gasket wasn't enough. Unfortunately the head was cracked as I feared. Unfortunately these SOHC 16V heads are just like the ones in a 1.6 16V Vitara/tracker/Sidekick. They don't handle the heat well. I had replaced the head gasket after surfacing the head and it still would run hot and push coolant out of the new radiator. I think you might be money ahead and the frustrations level would be much lower if you pull the head and have it tested. Most shops around here charge 45-65 dollars to check it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:51 pm 
Make love, not moderators

If coolant was just in the spark plug well perhaps it go there when your rad let go or were doing the repairs and nothing else is wrong. I would clean up the coolant around the plug with some paper towels, dry out the sparkplug wire and boot, re-install your plugs and see if the miss goes away. If it does, then just drive it and see how it does. If anything is a-miss (no pun intended) you'll find out soon enough.

Typically though when an engine overheats, the head warps, maybe cracks, and your head gasket starts to leak. Constant overheating when all else seems normal tends to be a symptom of a bad headgasket..