TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:07 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:47 pm 

I suppose these don't fail much ,but I need to know if anything else like a Tracker or Sidekick signal stalk will fit an '89 SwiftGTi
We've got no headlights........
If so ,it's off to the wreckers............
Thanks
Al

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:21 am 
@ssclown

Search the forums for " No headlights". A common problem with these cars is the headlights not working. Its because of an overheated and melted electrical connector in some junction box underneath the instrument panel. You will find posts about it with pictures if you search.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:02 am 

Thanks for the "tip of the day"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:56 pm 
Make love, not moderators

The connectors in question are the following:

1. There is a fuse box under the hood. Remove the 2 screws that hold it to the strut tower and flip it over. You'll spot it very quickly if one of the terminals is melted. Just have to pull it apart and clean it up and use some contact cleaner on it.. A little squeeze with some pliers also help give a tighter connection.

2. The Daytime Running Light module located on the cross member at the bottom of the dash. Not sure what year your car is but on the 89-94's the module can be easily found by removing the 2 screws that hold the panel underneath the steering column. It is a small black box with several wires going to it. It can be bypassed by cutting 2 wires and joining them together, not sure which 2 though.. That you'll have to do some digging on here and locate a wiring diagram for your specific year, or even let us know what year and we can probably consult our wiring diagrams..

Start with #1. That is the most common problem without a doubt.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:21 pm 

As Brendan said look at those points

Also check all the connections at the bottom of the fuse box above the clutch pedal

Good luck with finding a mk2 combo switch in souther ontario
Been a long time since I've seen a mk2/3 at the wrechers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:59 am 

Found a switch...thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:21 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

Under the dash, inside the junction fusebox, there's also a ground wire that known to overheat and fail. I typically cut the wire loose, solder a short extension to it with a large ring terminal, and bolt it to the junction fusebox bracket to provide it with a new ground (I've previously posted about this with pictures). These cars have lighting problems because there are no headlight relays. The full headlight load is switched live inside the steering column. The steering columnn combo switch can have problems too. I've found terminal corrosion and broken traces inside there

maybe a picture Thanks